Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The boss is on Today FM right now!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its over, nothing to hear here. move along!

Damien simply outlined the IOFFL postion vis a vis Eircoms declaration about BB penetration and readyness.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eugh. I sucked.

Am a big fan of Matt Cooper. I got a whole 5 mins notice of this and was about to post on boards when my pc went ape. Murphys law !

Hope I got some points across coherently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Should be up here by 7:30 tonight, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

damien.m wrote:

I got a whole 5 mins notice of this and was about to post on boards when my pc went ape. Murphys law !

Is it me or do the producers of radio shows always manage to leave interview subjects guessing until the last possible minute?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's up now.. link (.wmv/5.2mb). The piece starts at 48:45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

"Your pressure group IrelandOffline has developed a significant presence"

Quote from Matt Cooper on the Last Word

Pretty good endorsement of our current efforts. :cool:

(Around 53min 10 secs into the above link)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The ever modest John forgot to mention he was also interviewed for the wireless today too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

damien.m wrote:
    Eugh. I sucked.

Thats Boll0x

You are an unpaid volunteer. When you are up against eircom/nolan/redmond you are up against a world class spin doctors, and very well paid ones at that.

You were clear, concise, coherent, and factually correct.

And more importantly you retained your integrity. No slight of hand. No lies. No "80% coverage" when the truth is "50% availibility".

Well done. We all owe you Three cheers for you commitment, your professionalism and your ability to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Well done Damien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Moriarty wrote:

Thanks M.
    Just listened to that.
    Damien - you were cool, calm, collected and knowledgeable - not bad for 5 minutes warning!

It strikes me that there is a vivid contrast to be drawn between Eircom's ads of the French and Irish school girls' real time conversations and the low quality broadband that Eircom are actually trundling out.... to some people... by 2007... maybe.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

De Rebel wrote:
    damien.m wrote:
    Eugh. I sucked.
    Thats Boll0x

I endorse that - the Boll0x part!

You did very well, Damien, especially with such short notice, having to deal with questions as they came rather than having a chance to prepare for them.

Everyone who does a media interview or gives a speech and listens to a recording of it afterwards, always thinks they did badly. First of all, they think their own voice sounds wierd - there's a physical reason for this. [size=-1](1)[/size] Then they become acutely aware of every every pause or hesitation - that's because they're analysing the way they said things rather than the message, which is what the listeners are interested in - they won't notice the pauses and hesitations unless they are really bad, then they'll put it down to nervousness (which you did not show at all). Finally, no matter what answer someone gives to a question, they will always think afterwards of a better answer they could have given. That's just human nature. (Have you ever had an argument where you haven't kicked yourself afterwards and said "I wish I'd thought of saying such-and-such" ?)

It was a fine interview, you did IrelandOffline credit - you got the message across that this is more Eircom whitewash, and have kept up our profile as the only authoritative response to such whitewash.

[size=-1](1) The reason why your voice sounds strange is that normally you hear your own voice not through your ears but from the resonance of your jawbone which gives it a totally different timbre. When you listen to a recording of your voice, you are hearing it as others hear it, your brain knows it's you talking but it doesn't sound like you talking, so your brain gets upset. DonegalMan - Source of endless trivia, some of which can actually be interesting :)[/size]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moriarty wrote:

Should have said yesterday, it's up on the IoffL site in (much smaller) MP3 format as well, if anyone wants to listen.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

And here was me thinking Matt Cooper was interviewing Bruce Springsteen. biggrin.gif

Downloading it as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Damien,

Factually on point, untechnical, unspun and honest, such a refreshing change from all these broadband evangelists that have been taking over the airwaves and invading our letter boxes recently! (broadbandexpress anyone?).

Interesting to hear Matt sing from the wireless hym sheet, and fantastic to hear him confirm what we've all been feeling for a long time, that IOFFL have achieved recognition in the field as being representative of the often silient and greatly ignored consumer.

Good work IOFFL.

Advertisement