Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free speech

Options
  • 24-11-2004 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭

As myself and Rb kinda discovered lately, its like totally not allowed on some boards around here... ahem not naming names r anything ;)
    But seriously, whats up with not being able to say what you think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

*ahem* i think it has to do with the sheer volume. If you want a private conversation use a chatroom or chat program of some kind, other wise your just spamming, no one really wants to read through it all looking for something relevant to the original topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Its a dictatorship! :eek:
    I can understand that some people don't want to have to read through someones conversation on a thread, discovered pm's since then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

;) theyre a good idea alright

Totally...but ya can't beat some good ol' "trolling" ;)

Hell yeah! become a new pastime of mine quite recently actually, lol funny you should mention it ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah and I totally found out that theres a certain point ya can push it to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jaysonia

rb_ie wrote:
    Its a dictatorship! :eek:
    I can understand that some people don't want to have to read through someones conversation on a thread, discovered pm's since then ;)
    lol if admins know how to use the database they could easily read your pms to. :D

Really? :eek:

yeah but thats if there bothered. i mean with the amount of members on this forum i'd say it would take a long time to go through all the pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Jason clearly these people dont do computers!!!

And anyway;

SELECT * from vbulletin_pms WHERE name = 'rb_ie'

Or just use an id (dont know the table structure for vbulletin). But, easy peazy lemon squeazy! :)

• Advertisement

If you found out that a admin/mod was reading your pms like, does it count as invasion of privacy?

no dont be stupid. when you join a forum say bye bye to privacy. anyone who uses a forum for things that are private is just asking for details. The only thing belonging to you that is private from anyone on this server is your password (and even then, that doesn tmean it cant still be got ;))

Ah right I see...kinda takes the "private" outta "private messages" doesnt it!?

Big P wrote:
    SELECT * from vbulletin_pms WHERE name = 'rb_ie'

look at you showing off your SQL knowledge i only started that.

yeah it does really thats y i never really use pm's unless nessecary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

1. They don't check your PM's here without any reason. Like Illegal activites.
    2. Says more about your forums doesn't it.

not really were just computer students poointing out the fact that they could be read if they wanted to read them. and what would make you think there was illegal activity's in someone's pm's anyway??

Ok reading pm's? that's so not good :eek:

Yeah totally but as someone said, its only if its about illegal activites or something which is something I so do not do, thats for knackers :D

Giblet wrote:
    1. They don't check your PM's here without any reason. Like Illegal activites.
    2. Says more about your forums doesn't it.
    Some form of dig is it? I wouldn't be arsed reading someones PMs, as I feel yes they are private. But that's not to say it can't be done. And anyone who thinks that doesn't know how the system works. I'm sure there are loads of forum admins out there who do it, and thinking it doesnt happen is just stupid.

rb_ie, depends on the meaning of word illegal! Lots of things are illegal for many reasons, but not all are valid. Anyway, the reason they are called "Private Messages" is because they are only seen by the people who make them. The general public do not see them. I'm just pointing out that there are very few things that are private on the 'net ;)

Yeah the internets just aiding Big Brother....lol...
    Oh and slightly off topic, a few years ago I heard the feds had developed a system to like, read peoples emails and stuff....what happened over that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cr

rb_ie wrote:
    Yeah the internets just aiding Big Brother....lol...
    Oh and slightly off topic, a few years ago I heard the feds had developed a system to like, read peoples emails and stuff....what happened over that?
    you'd be supprised what you info you can get, just look a big p's signature, it shows YOUR ip address, isp and browser type!
    its a good thing that my real ip is never shown, otherwise i might as well say hack here!
    * if you need a reason to use a proxy this is it!
    nice code big p

Ah yeah but sure websites collect that sort of info anyway dont they?

"if you need a reason to use a proxy this is it!"
    Ok feeling a tad blonde at the mo, but dare I ask what's that?

my understanding is that its like, a server that caches pages that people have visited to minimise the amount of people downloading the same pages over and over, frees up bandwidth or something....am I right? I can't even remember where I got that info, think it was like, convered in a module in transition year or something...

cr wrote:
    you'd be supprised what you info you can get, just look a big p's signature, it shows YOUR ip address, isp and browser type!
    its a good thing that my real ip is never shown, otherwise i might as well say hack here!
    Nah not really, IPs arent that important unless you're doing something dodgy and you need to be tracked. My sig is basically there just to show you that info about you is easily obtainable ;)
    nice code big p
    Yeah been learning "the language I wrote it in" for several years now. Easy enough at this stage :) BTW, a nice lil feature of it is the source is a PNG file :) I love Apache!

Um, rb_ie, no that's nothing like a proxy at all. People use proxies for many many different reasons. The reason to use a proxy for this thread is about security. By using a proxy you can pretty much set your host as being a different machine. So, if using a proxy from australia, my sig would actually say that you're IP is that of that machine. Therefore I/other people wouldnt know your true location. Neat for numerous reasons :)

And i go about this how?

do a google search for more info. google is always your best friend when you wanna/need to find out info. :D

I'm not THAT bothered now :D

lol me neither, i wouldnt be that assed!

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly. I'm sure there is nothing you do on the 'net that you would have any need for a proxy, its just for people who want to remain anonymous in what they do use them. So, you might aswell give in to the fact that privacy on the 'net is something that very few people fully know about.

Advertisement