Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Xmas 2004

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indeed Gonzo !! , am not complaining, am absolutely delighted to see snow falling for the second time this year already...last year i had one sleety shower and that was it...remember its only December yet :)

Fantastic to see snow falling on Christmas day, long will i remember it :)

Roll on Jan and Feb !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

25122004f.jpg

Snowman in Johnstown, Co. Kilkenny this evening!

Used all the snow in a 10ft * 10ft area to make this guy! - The kid is 11 years old so It will give you an idea of the height.

Fantastic pic Danno ..looks like you used almost every snowdrop in Kilkenny to make him :p

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hehe great picture... if the snow is still around in the morning i cud make a snowbabe.... need to sculpt the 'parts' correctly:d

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Apparently that Polar Low is on its way down through the Repulic of Ireland, with reports of "Blizzard" conditions in Dublin still. Lucky b*stards!

Just been outside, very very cold, been snowing a very small bit. Snow flakes just now and again. Grass is like Ice, and you can see the ice on the ground. Colder then 12am this morning anyway!

This report coming from Tramore which has not had the luck of the rest of the country. Enough is enough, send Tramore some snow aswell!

- Sully

• Advertisement

according to the 1900 radar there is snow just 2-3 miles N of Tramore!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/live/radnirl1.jpg

Even rosslare got snow! http://www.met.ie/recentweather/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Danno wrote:
    according to the 1900 radar there is snow just 2-3 miles N of Tramore!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/live/radnirl1.jpg

Even rosslare got snow! http://www.met.ie/recentweather/

Lets cross fingers and hope for the best for Tramore! Surely we will have to get some when the rest of the country did?!

Your from Dublin im guessing?

- Sully

Laois!

I am spending the evening in Johnstown Co Kilkenny, 8 miles away from my home town in Laois.

Very heavy snow in Laois too, went down there for a drive, just to make sure that we got it too!

Snow is stopped here in Dublin , seems like there is a band making its way directly south right now..Dublins snow is finished and bugger all on the ground..all in all exactly what the sane head in me expected yesterday :) , still was nice to see.

A friend of mine sent me this IM on MSN:

"VERY heavy DRIVING snow here now, it is so heavy that wet pavements are white in the space of 10 minutes!

It is definately heading for Waterford as it has come from Sligo. There will be 1-2 hours of it.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/live/radnirl1.jpg"

:)

- Sully

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    A friend of mine sent me this IM on MSN:

"VERY heavy DRIVING snow here now, it is so heavy that wet pavements are white in the space of 10 minutes!

It is definately heading for Waterford as it has come from Sligo. There will be 1-2 hours of it.

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/live/radnirl1.jpg"

:)

- Sully

And indeed it seems to have arrived. Lets wait and see. Started off as sleet slow but seems speeding up and changing into snow flakes and getting faster. with strong winds.

- Sully

Bah .. bet Waterford gets more settling snow than Dublin ..as usual!!

More sleet then slow and seems stopping. :/ It wont stick.

Dublin got a lot of it, did it not?

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Driving dodgy around here(Roscrea) Lot of snow on the ground.Thermo in car showing -1, ESP lamp on dash flashing a lot so much for 4wd !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Cold crisp and dry here in Westport, 20:03.*I can see some stars, though there are clouds at the horizons.

Hmm , there is an area of precipitation moving south in Dublins direction growing more intense as it moves south , wonder if its anaprop (fake radar echos) ..such a thing happened a few years back and really unloaded over the city..probably wishfull thinking to imagine its the same again ..too much xmas cheer inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

What the weather for tonight in Dublin north area???

D

hmmmm more snow for you maybe.

You are dead right Longfield about the Easterly.
    Thing is though, it's mild out there at the moment, I was in Vienna last week and although it snowed on one night, the next day it was plus six.The same was true up in Budapest.
    An Easterly is only any good if the continent is frozen over eg down to minus ten or fifteen.An easterly feed off that and a shallow low in the Irish sea and bingo Snow time and not the effort we had today-proper snow!

That happened a lot in the mid to late 80's and into the early ninties iirc and it was partly responsible for the 1982 Blizzard(Snow drifts 12 FEET high as opposed to the ahem excitement over less than 1 cm in Dublin tonight)

As regards waterford, there seems to be a general rise in temp in the south east, It's almost plus 3 here now and its 4.6 in Dungarvan and that points to rain and not snow.

Sleet turning to rain here now, looks like our Christmas snow is over, enjoyed it while it lasted have to say .

Earthman wrote:
    hmmmm more snow for you maybe.

You are dead right Longfield about the Easterly.
    Thing is though, it's mild out there at the moment, I was in Vienna last week and although it snowed on one night, the next day it was plus six.The same was true up in Budapest.
    An Easterly is only any good if the continent is frozen over eg down to minus ten or fifteen.An easterly feed off that and a shallow low in the Irish sea and bingo Snow time and not the effort we had today-proper snow!

That happened a lot in the mid to late 80's and into the early ninties iirc and it was partly responsible for the 1982 Blizzard(Snow drifts 12 FEET high as opposed to the ahem excitement over less than 1 cm in Dublin tonight)

As regards waterford, there seems to be a general rise in temp in the south east, It's almost plus 3 here now and its 4.6 in Dungarvan and that points to rain and not snow.

Yes indeed Earthman I remember the 80's and 90's well, as a kid in school in the 80's i thought having a whole month of freezing temps was the norm ( wonder if thats going to happen again in my lifetime here) and a year without powdery snow was a freak event...

Its early days yet though and statistically I suppose we are overdue a proper snow event here...am hopefull that i will walk outside and feel the crunch of freshly fallen snow beneath my feet this winter :)

• Advertisement

Longfield wrote:
    Sleet turning to rain here now, looks like our Christmas snow is over, enjoyed it while it lasted have to say .

Id agree but I didnt get any lol

- Sully

Drapper wrote:
    What the weather for tonight in Dublin north area???

D

Cold rain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Snow has melted away :( here in Ballybofey . It has become very mild and was raining for long periods in the afternoon, at the moment everything is quiet and calm, the ground and everything else is just plain wet and miserable.

Damn it, I want my Snow back please , as it reminded me so much of my wonderful childhood here, when we used to get out our sleigh's that we made for free , with the help of the local Blacksmith who would put metal runners on, all the local children played all day and into the dark frosty night on our slanting roads, where no motor vehicles were around to interfere with our innocent joyous memorable days and nights sleighing on the glistening sparkling snow highlighted by the few streetlights we had.

I feel those days again, as if they were yesterday. It is something we will never see again, as the climate and times have changed so much. Oh, sentimental old me.

How lucky and happy we all were way back then :( .

Maybe it will snow again tonight ?...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Whats the latest from Tramore Sully? Its still throwin that messy cold rain over here nearer to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

we had a lot of snow today, unfortunately accumilation did not happen because the ground was so wet.

its starting to freeze over, if we get snow during the night or in the morning then the roads around here could be lethal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the coldsnap altho was short was meant to last all the way through tomorrow but it seems the warm breakdown is already digging its ugly heels in a day early this evening, i am pleased with the snow we got today, almost 3 inchs by 7.30pm but now its just thawing rapidly and we have barely over an inch left... i think the grass will be fully green by the morning:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 2oddsox

Yippee !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Light rain from 18-20z. Temp had risen to above 3C before this. Ah well at least I got to see some flakes.

I do have great memories of that 1982 blizzard, and 12ft drifts is no exaggeration. School off for a week!! and memories off perlonged cold spells when ground was frozen for a week etc. Winters are generally a lot milder now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ah well albeit a small amount of snow i have had the most snow
    i've had since 01' with a dusting i havent seen a dusting since
    01'!! :eek: And all on Christmas Day :D I got real excited around
    6pm when it was lashing it down with snow and sticking but then
    it got slettier and stopped. Overall 4 snow showers the biggest
    one this evening, not bad for Christmas day :D;)

Overall back to boring weather for the forceable future
    although it would seem no one knows whats going to
    happen in 72hrs let alone next week :eek:

Things will get cooler again towards Tuesday and then mild but
    then it looks like colder again for new years :)

Not any special cold though just cool ;)

• Advertisement

And on that note I'm unsticking the thread-It's been a good one :)
    We all got a bit excited I think, not least weathercheck who by the way should just take a drive over the road a bit to johnny foxes in the Dublin mts and theres probably plenty snow on his doorstep.
    I know looking out the window here theres loads of snow on the high ground just about 4 miles from me.

Paddy20 didn't get the 20cms but at least most of us got to see white ground for a time and snow falling on Xmas day which in itself is a rare event.
    The winter has hardly started yet and theres still a lot of cold snaps possible between now and march 05.
    This thread got well over 7000 views in two days and roughly 400 replies (though me and weathercheck must have made nearly a hundred of those :D )

The rain or shine thread is still closed,I'll re-open it tomorrow and merge this one with it for to continue the daily reports as usual and re sticky the winter forecast thread which will be the place for anyone wanting to discuss potential future winter storms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement