Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Celtic

• 24-11-2004 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

big match for celtic, up against the best. usually, its the type of game celtic revel in and come out with a draw or some sort of proud effort. no larsson this time, could be the difference in a draw and a hammering.

anyways i'll go with a 0-0 draw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

H-T 1 - 1

Outplayed by Barca (no real surprise considering they are the top team in Europe) but the surprise is that the goal stood.

Who cares :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

finished 1 - 1 not a bad result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Not a bad result at all! Shakhtar were/are being hammered 4-0 by AC Milan so we're looking good for that 3rd place and another shot at the UEFA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

good result for Celtic !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

amazing result really. Barca deserved to 5-0 up before Hartson scored but fantastic "backs to the wall" effort in the 2nd half. was there in Barcelona back in March for the UEFA game which equally superb result and performance. will be almighty crack in the wonderful city of Barcelona tonight, wished I was there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We created about 5 times more chances in the second half against Milan than we did tonight and we still came out with a draw tonight. Not the best of matches for the oul heart but I'll take any point from the Nou Camp. The first team to get anything from Barca at home this season. Delighted. :)

woosaysdan wrote:
    not a bad result

Understatement of the year!!!!!

It was a fantastic result. Nobody ever gave Celtic any chance.

:):)

Now Milan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

typical really, it doesnt surprise me one bit. fantastic result considering the form barcelona are in.

celtic always 'nearly' do it. im sure i wasnt the only one thinking they could nick it. out of champs league but at least theres the uefa cup which looks pretty likely now. it's more celtic's standard.

smemon - the so called Celtic 'fan'. Enjoy the moment for once eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Great result for Celtic but I dont think they are a definate for the UEFA yet. While Barcelona and Milan have both qualified they will both still be going for first place. With Celtic and Shaktar at home in the final game it is still very difficult to call, but hopefully Celtic can squeeze it.

Have to say, Ronaldinho is class (as if anyone didnt know), but the main thing that I thought stands out from him (as a superstar footballer) is his unselfishness. The amount of chances he put on a plate tonight for others was unreal.

• Advertisement

smemon - the so called Celtic 'fan'. Enjoy the moment for once eh?
    hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barcelona obviously werent up for it tonight. If they were, they would have swept away a poor team like Celtic.

Still cant see them (celtic) getting uefa though.

Oh Barcelona were certainly up for it. They could have (should have?) scored 3 in the 1st half. 2nd half was totally different, Celtic defended much better and done very well to hold out. It was a bit nervy during the last 10 minutes though.

Do you honestly think Barcelona would prefer to have to win in the Ukraine in December to get the top spot?

Barcelona will beat Donesk leaving Celtic to parachute into the UEFA Cup. This is just the result that Celtic needed to put all that nonsense aside from the weekend.

gimmick wrote:
    Barcelona obviously werent up for it tonight. If they were, they would have swept away a poor team like Celtic.
    Oh yes they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Barca ran out of ideas in the second half, a bit like the game in Celtic Park. I do think they were trying but some good defending by Celtic. I think Celtic should get the third spot into the UEFA Cup but the club really needs some new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

gimmick wrote:
    You obviously didn't watch the game if you could say something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Fair play to Celtic, first team to take a point off Barcelona in the Camp Nou this season.
    Barcelona should have won the game, and I don't know how the Hartson goal was allowed to stand.
    Eto'o should have had a few, too bad he couldn't convert. Barcelona looked tired in the second half, Celtic's 8 man defence just frustrated them. Made the game kind of boring too.

Makaveli wrote:
    Celtic's 8 man defence just frustrated them. Made the game kind of boring too.
    But I don't think you could name any team in the world that would get something of Barca atm by doing otherwise. It was the right thing to do if it means staying in Europe.

eirebhoy wrote:
    But I don't think you could name any team in the world that would get something of Barca atm by doing otherwise. It was the right thing to do if it means staying in Europe.

the right thing to do would have been to field youngsters and go and play football. i keep saying it but sooner or later celtic MUST look beyond the next year or 6 months.

it doesnt matter if we've no money, look at the porto side last year. i know the previous season celtic weren't far off but in terms of youth and quality they certainly were.

looking at celtics attack last night was a joke tbh, id love to see john hartson run a 100m sprint and time him. denis irwin was spot on in what he was saying about celtic, dumphy of course slating them at any chance aswell.

wtf are you on about?

The right thing to do was to frustrate Barcelona and hopefully get something from the game. They succeeded in that. Now they have put themselves in a position that the UEFA Cup is in their own hands after a pretty diastarous start to the CL campaign.

Would you have put youngsters on and get beat 6-0 to crash out of Europe all together? If you did, you would not last long in football mangement

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    denis irwin was spot on in what he was saying about celtic
    You want to hear the stick Irwin is getting on thehuddleboard. How could a "Celtic fan" think he was spot on with what he said.

What about Porto, I don't understand?

BTW Smemon, I'd love to see your team (the team you actually support) try to get anything off Barca playing their normal style.

eirebhoy wrote:

I totally agree with you, but as a Barcelona supporter it was frustrating to watch. I'm not a fan of all out defensive football anyway.

smemon wrote:
    the right thing to do would have been to field youngsters and go and play football. i keep saying it but sooner or later celtic MUST look beyond the next year or 6 months.

So, instead of earning a point they would have come away with nothing and this is the right thing to do?
    You claim to be a Celtic supporter, but in every thread you have posted about them it's been nothing but negative comments. Why do you even bother?

Makaveli wrote:
    I totally agree with you, but as a Barcelona supporter it was frustrating to watch. I'm not a fan of all out defensive football anyway.
    Aye, I can't stand the opposition "parking the bus in front of the goal" as Mourinho says but I don't mind when its my team. :)
    So, instead of earning a point they would have come away with nothing and this is the right thing to do?
    You claim to be a Celtic supporter, but in every thread you have posted about them it's been nothing but negative comments. Why do you even bother?
    One thing you'll also notice is that smemon calls ManU "us" and "we" while he calls Celtic, "Celtic". Blatent stirrer.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Aye, I can't stand the opposition "parking the bus in front of the goal" as Mourinho says but I don't mind when its my team. :)

thats the wrong way to play football and you know it. you gain no friends playing like that and in this day and age it simply is not good enough if your to improve your side. a side that doesnt play football, doesnt learn.

celtic frustrate me, that's why im negative towards them. they say they want to move to the EPL, they dont deserve to if they'll play like that week in week out. we in ireland should know defence only gets you so far (the side of '90). some great players that could never show their true colours and play football they way it should be played.

lets not fool ourselves here lads, there are plenty of sides that could defend for 90mins against barcelona and get the same result celtic did, with a bit of luck along the way. but they dont, they risk going for the kill and sneaking a victory for 3points. all out attack is needed at times (not gaianst barca in particular) but celtic simply cant attack!! with larsson gone they cant. if youve john hartson and camara up front you know theres something seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Funniest things i heard this week was on Newstalk Celtic FM (was in work listening to match on that) Had 2 scots (who were prob famous celtic players )commentating and in last 20 minutes from what i hear barca were throwing everything at ad celtic were soaking it up.

At final whistle it was like they just won the CL, with comments like " well done fantastic result, best away perf ever, Celtic defend magnificently" not one of the 2 guys actually mentioned anything about the fact that celtic were out.

And then again on Newstalk Celtic FM , they had a scottish rangers fan club lad and scot celtic fan club lad on. Priceless entertainment they both actually think they are good teams.

kdjac

Go away Smemon you trolling ****.

smemon wrote:
    thats the wrong way to play football and you know it. you gain no friends playing like that and in this day and age it simply is not good enough if your to improve your side. a side that doesnt play football, doesnt learn.

Ever heard the quote 'Play to your strengths'. Celtic simply cannot compete against the best footballing side in Europe, so to get the point they need, they defend and hope for a draw. It is not pretty but in the circumstances I fully support it
    celtic frustrate me, that's why im negative towards them. they say they want to move to the EPL, they dont deserve to if they'll play like that week in week out. we in ireland should know defence only gets you so far (the side of '90). some great players that could never show their true colours and play football they way it should be played.

Celtic were the first British (& non latin) team to lift the European Cup. They played football the way it should be played and beat the ultra defensive Inter Milan side. It is not an apt comparison to state Celtic should play a 'footballing' game when they come up against a team with superiority in every department. You are not living in a real world if you think that any team in Celtics position would not have done the same against Barcelona.
    lets not fool ourselves here lads, there are plenty of sides that could defend for 90mins against barcelona and get the same result celtic did, with a bit of luck along the way. but they dont, they risk going for the kill and sneaking a victory for 3points. all out attack is needed at times (not gaianst barca in particular) but celtic simply cant attack!! with larsson gone they cant. if youve john hartson and camara up front you know theres something seriously wrong.

I very much doubt that any team in Celtics position would have played it any other way.

Glasgow Dub, I think its come to the stage of ignoring Smemon as its quite clear he's trying to annoy Celtic fans by trolling. Either that or my mother knows more about football than him.

KdjaC wrote:
    Funniest things i heard this week was on Newstalk Celtic FM (was in work listening to match on that) Had 2 scots (who were prob famous celtic players )commentating and in last 20 minutes from what i hear barca were throwing everything at ad celtic were soaking it up.

At final whistle it was like they just won the CL, with comments like " well done fantastic result, best away perf ever, Celtic defend magnificently" not one of the 2 guys actually mentioned anything about the fact that celtic were out.

Considering Celtic have lost their 8 previous CL away games, they were up against Barcelona & AC Milan to qualify from the group, they have not qualified from the group stages before, they failed to outscore Shaktar, they were playing the best side in Europe, they have failed to add any meaningful players to their squad in 3 seasons, they lost their one world class player, they have no money and everybody had written them off for the UEFA Cup spot, it was a fantastic result!!!

Celtic never had a realistic chance of qualifying from the hardest group for a British team.
    And then again on Newstalk Celtic FM , they had a scottish rangers fan club lad and scot celtic fan club lad on. Priceless entertainment they both actually think they are good teams.

Good compared to who? Barcelona? Real Madrid? Juve? Man United? Chelsea? Arsenal? AC Milan? compared to them, no they do not have a good team but it is very much comparing a Ferrari to a Family Saloon. Compared to the rest of the English Premiership, they do have a good team. They do not have money to buy quality players and they do not have the league to attract quality players. With everything else considered, they do have a good team. What they do not have is a great team or a footballing technical quality team but apart from about 10-12 sides in Europe, neither do any other team.

• Advertisement

Compared to the rest of the English Premiership, they do have a good team.
    Kdjac thinks we have a bunch of average divison 1 players. :)

The reason I think Kdjac and a lot of others are so anti-Celtic is because they think we believe we are world beaters. Kdjac, I'd love you have a look at prediction threads for European games on the Celtic forums, they are more often than not pessimistic. Celtic fans are just as realistic as any bunch of fans and this place depresses me with the likes of smemon's posts (the sooner he realises he doesn't support Celtic the better). I would stick him on my ignore list but he usually gets quoted anyway.

Its sad that I get angry over a few posts on an internet forum but I its not just internet forums you hear this stuff. Lets say we rate ourselves up there with the likes of Aston Villa ATM, they would certainly have a right to be proud coming out of the Nou Camp with a point.

smemon wrote:
    lets not fool ourselves here lads, there are plenty of sides that could defend for 90mins against barcelona and get the same result celtic did, with a bit of luck along the way. but they dont, they risk going for the kill and sneaking a victory for 3points. all out attack is needed at times (not gaianst barca in particular)

Barcelona have only lost twice this season (well technically 3 times, but the Copa Del Ray doesn't count). Celtic had to play to their strengths, and that meant defending. There was no way they could match Barca had they played with your tactic of all out attack, it would just mean Barca would get in behind the back four time and time again, and they would probably have lost by 6 or 7. There is no point playing suicidal football.

Martin O'Neill knew realistically he was playing for a UEFA cup spot. When a point would more than likely give them an advantage over Shaktar it was what they should have played for. They got that point and Shaktar lost, advantage Celtic. It seems you would prefer Celtic to play stupid football and be knocked out of Europe.

Me and Eirebhoy have had this convo many many times.

Here is a simple version Celtic are one of the richest clubs in the world , they are one of the best supported clubs. Compete in CL every year yet a point away if a fantastic result :/

The Richest Clubs

Note: Figures based on 2002-03 season turnover.

1. Manchester United $419 million
    2. Juventus $364 million
    3. AC Milan $334 million
    4. Real Madrid $321 million
    5. Bayern Munich $271 million
    6. Internazionale $271 million
    7. Arsenal $249 million
    8. Liverpool $249 million
    9. Newcastle United $232 million
    10. Chelsea $223 million
    11. AS Roma $221 million
    12. Borussia Dortmund $207 million
    13. Barcelona $206 million
    14. Schalke 04 $198 million
    15. Tottenham Hotspur $159 million
    16. Leeds United $153 million
    17. SS Lazio $148 million
    18. Celtic $145 million
    19. Olympique Lyonnais $141 million
    20. Valencia $134 million

// couldnt find this years :)
    But you get the point.

kdjac

They are 18th, Leeds are even above them !! I believe the figure for Celtic include the extended UEFA Cup run and the figures are turnover, not disposable money. Celtic are a PLC who are in debt. They are within the guidelines wrt % paid on wages but the PLC appear to have a higher priority on eliminating the debt over everything else. If the PLC were prepared to live with a manageable debt, and bring in some quality players, the away result against the best team in Europe would not be considered such a fantastic result. The money from TV is tiny compared to even the smallest club in the English league. They are the 2nd best supported club in Britain but until they break out of the SPL, they cannot realise their potential.

My sentiments posted in post 30 are still very much applicable

Celtic simply cannot compete against the best footballing side in Europe, so to get the point they need, they defend and hope for a draw. It is not pretty but in the circumstances I fully support it

you see heres the problem, you admit they cant compete against class oposition but when they are outplayed, outfought and simply very lucky, you hail their performance and take all the positives from the game when as kdjaC points out they were just knocked out of the championsleague.

i cant understand the delight at everyone when ok it was a good result but looking at the big picture its been yet another failure in europe. if celtic are as big and great as yourself and eirebhoy hint at should they not be qualifying for the next stages and should you's not be hiding behind the excuses of money and blaming the spl for lack of competition??

hate to say it but porto, no money, relatively unknown side, dominant in their own league walked away with the champions league last year. the excuse of money and blaming everyone else for celtic not succeeding is wearing thin when at the end of the day it's been proven time and time again money doesnt buy trophies or success.

smemon - I can't be bothered going back over everything again. You are certainly no Celtic fan. you probably tell your mates you are but it is obvious that your a fan of English football 1st and maybe you look out for the Celtic result 2nd then come on here and moan and whinge about Celtic :confused:

• Advertisement

when celtic sort themselves out and make some signings i'll be a happier man. for me, what made me SO angry, was the fact when they went on that uefa cup run, raising millions, they bought NOBODY and havn't bought anyone since on what was one of their best financial years ever.

that year, celtic were a much more classier outfit than what they are now, they were hungrier, more passionate and could play decent football at times, pressuring teams high up the pitch and rattling them. with no new faces in, theyve gone downhill are a few years older and are being caught up domestically which i believe is a huge factor in how they do in europe.

rangers couldnt touch celtic a couple of years ago, celtic were lightyears ahead of them or so it seemed. failure to keep adding to that side cost them dear.

They are 18th, Leeds are even above them !! I believe the figure for Celtic include the extended UEFA Cup run and the figures are turnover, not disposable money. Celtic are a PLC who are in debt. They are within the guidelines wrt % paid on wages but the PLC appear to have a higher priority on eliminating the debt over everything else. If the PLC were prepared to live with a manageable debt, and bring in some quality players, the away result against the best team in Europe would not be considered such a fantastic result. The money from TV is tiny compared to even the smallest club in the English league. They are the 2nd best supported club in Britain but until they break out of the SPL, they cannot realise their potential.

My sentiments posted in post 30 are still very much applicable

umm thats all well and good cept the figures from 2002.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    umm thats all well and good cept the figures from 2002.

kdjac

Note: Figures based on 2002-03 season turnover

Celtic got to the UEFA cup final in season 2002-03

smemon, I'd just like to tell you that while you were posting messages on this forum Celtic were actually playing on Setanta, I bet you haven't even a clue who they were playing. No doubt you're watching the Liverpool match though.:rolleyes:
    you see heres the problem, you admit they cant compete against class oposition but when they are outplayed, outfought and simply very lucky, you hail their performance and take all the positives from the game when as kdjaC points out they were just knocked out of the championsleague.
    We hailed the team because they played the game the right way and we now have the UEFA cup place in our own hands. May I point out that we have been knocked out of the CL since we lost to Shakhtar and if we actually did beat Barca it wouldn't have made a difference.
    hate to say it but porto, no money, relatively unknown side, dominant in their own league walked away with the champions league last year.
    Hate to say but Porto had an absolutely smashing side last season and the UEFA cup winning season.

Vitor Baia

Paulo Ferreira
    Nuno Valente
    Jorge Costa
    Ricardo Carvalho

Costinha
    Maniche
    Carlos Alberto
    Deco
    Pedro Mendes (better than Chelsea's Tiago by a long way IMO)

Derlei

and backup of the likes of:
    Beni McCarthy
    Alenitchev
    Ricardo Costa
    Jankauskas
    rangers couldnt touch celtic a couple of years ago, celtic were lightyears ahead of them or so it seemed. failure to keep adding to that side cost them dear.
    I'll give you a choice, moan about the way Celtic played or moan about there being no additions as I think you'll find that the reason we had to play so defensive is because MON can't bring in any bloody additions.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'll give you a choice, moan about the way Celtic played or moan about there being no additions as I think you'll find that the reason we had to play so defensive is because MON can't bring in any bloody additions.

well why could he bring in additions BEFORE celtic went on the uefa cup run?? im sorry but liverpool asrenal doesnt compare to celtic dundee, im a football fan aswell you know, if manu westbrom was on the same time arsenal pool was on i'd have a closer eye on the arsenal match.

i dont pay to watch the ball being pumped into the air for 90mins in the spl. i dont watch my local EL club side anymore, because its sheer rubbish. its ironic your trying to criticise me for watching foreign football when scottish is foreign also. the football is better in the EL, at the minute, celtic would take the standard of the EL down.

imagine celtic against arsenal today, we'd see a green and white brick wall with arsenal having 90% of possession. celtic play boring, non-existant football but oh wait, it's the result that counts. :rolleyes: i take football over results anyday, its a pitty others dont do the same as it would improve the game more.

• Advertisement

A football fan who does not know the reality of the situation. Are you actually a neutral then?

Be like WhiteWashMan and just hate Celtic, don't be a patronising git trying to pretend to us that you support/like/interested in/love Celtic.

You sound like the typical gloryhunter tbh

Smemon, I had my doubts but now I'm 110% sure you are a troll and a sh*te one at that. Stop annoying the few Celtic fans and bugger off. If only there was an option for the mods to ban smemon from posting on Celtic threads until he actually admitted that he hates Celtic (like Kdjac or WWM).

Advertisement