Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops , even houses on Carrantuohill?

• 24-11-2004 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

I am setting am thinking of setting up a relayer point on Carrantuohill for a backhaul wireless link of broadband access to Rathmore, Co. Kerry.
    Now question is, power source.
    Seein that this is such a touristy spot, surly there is something up, Even half ways that mountain that has a power source. It would help so much if that were there. I'm wondering if anyone has even gone up there, even half ways.

Any sign of a shop or house around there?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Would you be allowed to stick a mast thingy up there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know i'm thinking about that now. But if theres a shop there i'll talk them into putting something on their shop if it can be seen from both locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

can't say I can recalll seeing much up there to be honest with ya.... will check with me mate and see what he says.... don't suppose u feel like whacking one of those masts up ballaghasheen and giving the Inny broadband access... I'd be most appreciative, screw rathmore... they dont need it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

As a regular climber and walker in the area I can tell you there is nothing up there in the way of buildings. There is one rescue hut, but it is little more than a roofed over hovel. It's in a hollow and has no running water or electricity.

But that's beside the point anyway you wouldn't be let put anything up there. There is no way you would get planning permission and even if you put something up on the quiet it will last about a week before some mountain user takes it down.

It's a totally inappropriate location for a mast of any kind

if its a mast to provide broadband in an area I reckon it should be allowed cos I'd give my parents over to slavery if it meant getting access to broadband altho where I live its gonna be extremely unlikely. Altho there are rumours in my area that they are gonna get proper broadband for the the local businesses which would be fantastic

• Advertisement

Well I am happy to bet a large sum of money that there will be no mast on the Reeks, and if someone does put one up it will have the life expectancy of a peperoni in a pizza parlour.

i reckon the same as well but it's a shame.

i reckon the same as well but it's a shame.
    Not really. It would be a terrible shame to ruin something a lovely as the Reeks, even for something as good as broadband.

I'm not a nature lover...as far as I'm concerned it's just another mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yup i think i can forget about that idea. Though im going to set it up on Caherbarnagh mountain near Rathmore and get a link from Kenturk Co. Cork. So anyone that can see that mountain might have a chance getting BB,but more than likely no one like that would be on boards only myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

On a side note;

Anyone have any idea what the mast on mangerton was for? Is it still there?

Advertisement