Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember the free text numbers?

• 24-11-2004 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

Just a lil bit of nostalgia....

Remember the free service centre numbers that you could use on ready to go with eircell? ( I'm not sure if you coudl use them on esat)

Were brilliant things, so much fun and soo free. Anyone know how they ended up stopping it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Removed the numbers from service? Fixed the blatent hole that was costing?

Like they weren't going to notice a couple fo thousand messages a night going through the wrong center...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I remember some Luxembourg number that could be used as the message centre number for free texts alright, although I don't think I had a phone then.

What was the story behind these? Why did people set them up, how did people find out about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

These were the standard SMSC's of other mobile phone networks. For a while it was difficult for them to prevent other networks customers using their equipment (a case of being caught on the hop!), but it got closed down eventually.

I used to work for a company who provided the SMSC's, and I remember there were hoards of Spanish and Greek users that migrated en mass from network to network as they got shut down. Interesting (and amusing) to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

The two i remember, one was t-mobile in germany, the other was spice or something like that from india.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

yeah I remember we must have gone through at least 10 of them, they kept not working... ahh well....

I was young and it was fun alright while it lasted, everyone knew that they'd have to cop on soon enough, but alas! :)

just bringing it up for nostalgic value :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement