Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying data from Windows App

• 24-11-2004 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I am using an old Windows app that displays a list of information in rows and columns (can't think of the correct word to call it) and am trying to copy this information into a text file. My problem is the program won't let me copy and paste the information into a new app.

The only thing I can think of is to do a print screen and then use OCR to convert the image to text. This would take a lot of screenshots though so does anyone have an easier way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What sort of app is it? Console, or windowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Not sure what the difference is between console and windows but it looks something similar to this:

Example

Edit: sorry misspelt it.

Example failed... Is it a DOS prompt, or a usual Windows application?

The app opens in a Window not a Dos prompt. It's running on NT4.

Well, if its printing to the window then your only option is probably what you are already thinking of doing... Unless you fancy typing it all by hand... :D

• Advertisement

Should have explained this a bit better, when I say 'print screen' I mean where you take an image of the whole desktop. It does actually have a print icon but nothing happens when I click on it. The app was written in 1995 so I guess it's to be expected. Really don't want to writing out all the data. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

can you post a screenshot of the app in action?

I'll have to get a screengrab when I'm at home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have you tired - File - save as
    or File - Print to Generic Text only printer that prints to file.
    or setup pdfcreator as a printer and cut text from the generated pdf.

or if a one off you could printscreen , paste into paint , save it and try OCR using SimpleOCR - but a lot depends on the font being used - see if there is an option for fonts in all colours or something in display properties if you want to spend hours on it.

*all apps free and listed in google

1995 - it might be an old dos app with a gui bolted on so it may be a real windows program - you could also try to access the data files on the HDD - sometimes that's easier.

Have you tired - File - save as
    or File - Print to Generic Text only printer that prints to file.
    or setup pdfcreator as a printer and cut text from the generated pdf.

As I mentioned earlier there is a print button but I haven't been able to get it working yet. If I do get it working the pdfcreator sounds good. There is no option to 'save as'.

This is a screenshot I took minus the information (I'm hosting the image on my own server so its not always online):

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could also up load the image (goatstown is off line and gcache ain't got them yet)
    what is the name of the app ?
    have a look at the exe files for clues as to the identity of it in case there are other links under the bonnet.

re print - just because it does not seem to do anything does not mean it does not. many old apps were set for specific printers eg: HP laserjet or Expson FX 80 on LPT1 and if there is nothing to capture the data it just goes into a black hole, also if the app is a win9x or win3x app then it may be expecting to talk to the printer direct whereas NT kinda restricts that sort of stuff.
    try mapping a printer port ?
    net use lpt1 \\server\printer

Used to have an accounts app that woundn't print a certain report - print screen and paste into word pad once a month. Every time we upgraded / patched it we seemed to have to roll back a week so lived with it.

After a lot of messing about with OCR (with no success) I took a long look at what was installed on the PC and found MS SQL Server. All the data was stored in the database and I was able to retrieve it easily. The app is Ericsson Extension Manager in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Advertisement