Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars with Major Sentimental Value

Options
  • 24-11-2004 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

<edit> This should have gone in Motors although it is still something of a Personal Issue. Can one of the mods move it to Motors please

My frist car was a 1996 Renault Megane, bought new for me by my parents. Passed my test in it and drove it till 2003 when I superceded it with a new Laguna. I needed a new reliable car but couldn't bear to part with my first car so I didn't sell it. Car was still in very good condition but things were starting to go wrong on it (no big surprise after 125k miles) and it couldn't really be relied on for hard driving. So I gave it to my dad to use as a runabout.

Problem is, now my dad has decided he wants a new car and he wants to get rid of the Megane but I still have a strong sentimental attachment to it and am very unhappy about this. If it gets sold or traded in it will either get scrapped or sold to someone who won't give a **** about it.

What I'd like to do is transfer the ownership back to myself and insure it in my own name. This would mean taking out a second insurance policy (the other one being the Laguna) in my own name. Is this even possible? It's probably impractical and v.expensive for a person to insure two cars in their own name and it probably sounds like madness to do this for purely sentimental reasons.

Even if it's not insured, taxed, roadworthy etc. it has to be kept even if it just has to sit on the drive of the house and Rust In Peace. Again there's a problem with this: I live at home with my ould pair and they don't want an old car taking up space in the grounds of the house. Although I may be getting my own house soon enough so can move it (or get it towed if it's not road legal) to there.

Anyone have any tips. Yes, I know I'm an idiot for getting attached to a lump of metal :) And before anyone starts saying "it's only a bloody boring Megane!" the make of the car is irrelevant - this can happen with any make of car from a Lada to a Ferrari.

I wonder has anyone else experienced this - especially with their first car. Maybe I should have put this post in Personal Issues, not Motors :) One bit of advice I'll give to people is if you buy a car don't hold onto it too long otherwise you may start getting attached to it and getting rid will become difficult. Make sure it is sold/crashed/dies before this becomes a problem :)

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I'm afraid cars are like exs, you love them, have lots of good times with them and worry how therir next partner will treat them.
    My da had a saab 900 which he loved so much he kept a few photos of it in the same album as our baby pictures. The car suffered terrible problems, flat battery, problem with gear box, constant break downs, and while it was in the garage waiting for parts, the sun roof was left open and mushrooms started to grow on the seats. The time had come and my dad knew he had to let go and move on by having it scrapped.

And so do you. Unfortunately you've given up your rights to the car so to speak, you deemed it not good enough anymore and replaced it with a laguna. You're first car will always have special memories for you but the time has come to let go. The car is no longer yours, and unless your dad can sell it to a close friend or afford storage or move house soon you'll just have to face the fact that your time together has come to an end.

cheer up and yeah you can get multiple cars insured depending on status and sh*t, but you have already decided this is not the car you need to be driving now by buying a Laguna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brian if I were a b'astard I'd tell you to "snap out of it man!"

I think, as you say insuring two vehicles would be abit pricey esp as one vehicle would spend 95% of its time sat there quietly decaying.

I really would sell it, someone will love to own a car your family has no practical use for. It could be just what they need and want. Think of it as speading happiness.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

i understand the pain but it's time to sell it. Take few pictures and let it go.

It will be easier next time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

I bought my first car in 1998 a 95 fiesta frestyle and turned it into a boy racer machine lol.. I had great times in it a lot of firsts happened in it ... I have had 4 cars since.but i still have the fiesta I'm lucky we have a garage that can fit at least 8 cars. I start it every week and some weekends relive my mis spent youth and transfer the insurance for the weekend and fgo for long drives.. i don;t insure it full time but i do tax it. espically round the summer time because the days are longer I have more time on my hands. Keep it garage it and tax it... if you wanna go for a spin in it transfer your insurance. Don;t let it go. I totally agree with the way u feel!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Your insurance crowd will know that you can;t drive both cars at the same time and it should not be too much more to add to a policy , especially if it is a lower spec'd car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

i don;t insure it full time but i do tax it
    I'd like to do that too but how do you tax a car without an insurance certificate for that particular vehicle. I'm guessing you have a motor trade insurance policy which covers multiple vehicles but that option isn't open to me.

To those saying "let it go" ye are right of course, it is the logical thing to do and makes perfect sense. But logic can fall by the wayside when you own a car for 8 years, have looked after it meticulously and have driven it the equivalent of FIVE times around the world :eek:

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was of the same mindset myself recently but decided that keeping a 2nd car on the driveway wasn't practical. I didn't get it insured as i was told that I would need to take out a brand new policy with 0 years NCB (my 1st policy has 10 or 11 yrs claim free driving in total [yeah, I know they only consider about 5 but they still have 10/11 written on paper!]). The insurance company offered me no sympathy for wanting a 2nd car. This would have cost me a fortune so the few times I did drive it I just transferred my inurance (leaving my policy 1 car uninsured for the day!).
    Tax was another cost which I was reluctant to fork out for (€550 per annum on top of the €850 required on my #1 car).
    In the end it didn't get the attention the car deserved. etting a car sit idle for a week or two doesn't do it much good. The inside began to feel damp as it was never aired properlt, etc. so in the end I had to bite the bullet and sell it.
    In the end I sold it to a friend who is going to track prepare it (leaving it still in relative factory condition) and they will let me have it for a few laps in Mondello every so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

kbannon wrote:
    Was of the same mindset myself recently but decided that keeping a 2nd car on the driveway wasn't practical. I didn't get it insured as i was told that I would need to take out a brand new policy with 0 years NCB

You should be able to transfer your insurance over by just calling ur insurance comany on the friday, saying you want coverage from x time saturday to x time Sunday. U'd need road tax and nct on 2nd car. Also, you'd have the whole problem of your first car being un insured while it's parked up. What insurance company u with?

I have said that i did transfer my insurance over when I used it. I also pointed out that when i did this, my 1st car was then uninsured!
    The company Im with is irrelevant.
    What I also said was that to take out a 2nd policy on the 2nd car would require starting a new NCB and that from a cost perspective this was not an option.

• Advertisement

kbannon, how did you manage to tax your 2nd car if you didn't have an insurance cert for it?

My insurance policy on my 1st car allows me to drive another vehicle but I must *not* be the registered owner of that vehicle. AFAIK there's no stipulation that the vehicle must already be insured by someone else however if it's not insured by someone else then it won't have an insurance disc.

Also, I think I can transfer my insurance (by ringing up insurance co) temporarily to another vehicle which leaves my 1st vehicle temporarily uninsured. I don't know what the story is with ownership in this case.

Either way, how do I tax a car if I don't have an insurance cert for that particular vehicle. I can think of one way (messy though) Insure the car, get the cert, send off cert to motor tax and buy 12 months road tax. Then cancel the insurance asap and get a refund. Now I have a car which has tax but no insurance so to insure it I temporarily transfer insurance (as described above) from another vehicle and maybe get the insurance co to send out a cover note in place of the disc.

BrianD3

My old car had tax when I bought the new car. Each time I drove the old one it still was within the tax period.
    Personally I wouldn't bother taxing the car if you don't plan on using it much! But then again that would be against the law and your are so likely to be stopped...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Clean up the Megane,
    Take pics of it,
    Sell it !

I too had a car some years ago (Ford Orion) which I had owned for 7.5 years and was somewhat 'attached' to it (even thought it was 13 years old:)). I ended up trading it in to take advantage of the Scrappage scheme in 1997.......so I knew it was going to be crushed :(

You have to be realistic about these things........I'm afraid it's time for you to move on BrianD3 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3, you're just mean :(

You should have let her go once she started getting seriously ill and she couldn't satisfy your needs anymore

Instead you just added insult to injury by hooking up with a young wan. You didn't stop there did you? No you couldn't resist showing off your new and well fit partner to her every day, no doubt making her feel even worse

Now, let her die with some dignity please. First love, RIP

OK I'm still having trouble letting the car go. I have looked into getting a separate insurance policy for it and the news is good. I have gotten what I consider to be a very cheap quote from AXA direct which is the same company that I have my main policy with. Actually I'd like to sing AXAs praises for a moment - I have had nothing but good dealings with them and they are by far the most competitve insurer for me (26 y/o male) for both my main car and my (potential) second car. With AXA if you have a few years claim free experience as a named driver and have had your fuill licence a few years they really seem to give you credit for it.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BrianD3 wrote:
    OK I'm still having trouble letting....go. I have looked into getting a mortgage for a house nearby and the news is good. I have gotten what I consider to be a very good finance deal from from TSB....etc!

BrianD3

:D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

BrianD3 wrote:
    Actually I'd like to sing AXAs praises for a moment - I have had nothing but good dealings with them and they are by far the most competitve insurer for me (26 y/o male) for both my main car and my (potential) second car. With AXA if you have a few years claim free experience as a named driver and have had your fuill licence a few years they really seem to give you credit for it.

Of no relevance to the thread topic, but just to present the other side of Axa. I'm 26 and male also and I was with them for two years, with a full licence, but left them in '02 after they tried to hike my insurance for the second time, despite my ncb increasing, having more experience and the car being the same. There were no claims and no obvious reasons for the rising renewal costs. It would seem that the credit they give you varies from office to office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Parked up my '98 1.6 Audi A3 of 6 years in the dealers forecourt.

Got out.

Looked sadly over my shoulder.

"I'll miss you old girl, we had some good times together, I'll never forget you."

Dealer drives my new 2.0TDI A3 onto the forecourt from out back.

Haven't thought of the old A3 since........

I've become attached to a few living things in my time, but never a motor :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Calibos wrote:
    I've become attached to a few living things in my time, but never a motor :D:D

Maybe you bought the wrong ones? :p

Best of luck with the new motor :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rattlor

BrianD3 wrote:
    <edit> This should have gone in Motors although it is still something of a Personal Issue. Can one of the mods move it to Motors please

My frist car was a 1996 Renault Megane, bought new for me by my parents. Passed my test in it and drove it till 2003 when I superceded it with a new Laguna. I needed a new reliable car but couldn't bear to part with my first car so I didn't sell it. Car was still in very good condition but things were starting to go wrong on it (no big surprise after 125k miles) and it couldn't really be relied on for hard driving. So I gave it to my dad to use as a runabout.

Problem is, now my dad has decided he wants a new car and he wants to get rid of the Megane but I still have a strong sentimental attachment to it and am very unhappy about this. If it gets sold or traded in it will either get scrapped or sold to someone who won't give a **** about it.

What I'd like to do is transfer the ownership back to myself and insure it in my own name. This would mean taking out a second insurance policy (the other one being the Laguna) in my own name. Is this even possible? It's probably impractical and v.expensive for a person to insure two cars in their own name and it probably sounds like madness to do this for purely sentimental reasons.

Even if it's not insured, taxed, roadworthy etc. it has to be kept even if it just has to sit on the drive of the house and Rust In Peace. Again there's a problem with this: I live at home with my ould pair and they don't want an old car taking up space in the grounds of the house. Although I may be getting my own house soon enough so can move it (or get it towed if it's not road legal) to there.

Anyone have any tips. Yes, I know I'm an idiot for getting attached to a lump of metal :) And before anyone starts saying "it's only a bloody boring Megane!" the make of the car is irrelevant - this can happen with any make of car from a Lada to a Ferrari.

I wonder has anyone else experienced this - especially with their first car. Maybe I should have put this post in Personal Issues, not Motors :) One bit of advice I'll give to people is if you buy a car don't hold onto it too long otherwise you may start getting attached to it and getting rid will become difficult. Make sure it is sold/crashed/dies before this becomes a problem :)

BrianD3
    Stop being such a pussy, and just let your Dad sell it. You're right - this belongs in Personal Issues.
    Out of interest - do you sleep with a security blanket?

• Advertisement
Advertisement