Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloody Arsenal are trying to give me a Heartattack !

• 24-11-2004 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

OMG I still haven't calmed down. What a disasterous performance not helped by a Ref who obviously has come from the Mike Riley school of reffing. Apart from the dreadful 2nd Yellow for Vieira what did Van Bommell have to do to get booked, rip off a Arsenal players neck and piss down the stump.

The Defense is being effected by Lehmanns inability to handle crosses, they are indecisive because of it. Arsene needs to get a central defender and a keeper in Jan.

I can just see them throwing it away against Rosenberg !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

To be honest, I think what Dunphy says about Arsenal is very true. They are a great premiership team, great at beating weaker teams (which there is lots of ) in the premiership but when they are playing against quality opposition they are not up to it. I can see them still getting through but its far from convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thing is PSV aren't even top class (they should have beaten us with 9 men!), there seems to be a lack of confidence in the Arsenal team at the moment and I am afraid that some of it is steming from Patrick Vieria, this season he has not been the same player of previous seasons. I actually feel more comfortable when Cesc is playing.

As for Dumphy I never listen to the muppet he can't go 2 minutes without mentioning Roy Keane, I mean ffs all he is short of doing is whipping a picture of RoyBoy out and having one off the wrist !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gandalf wrote:
    Apart from the dreadful 2nd Yellow for Vieira what did Van Bommell have to do to get booked, rip off a Arsenal players neck and piss down the stump.

Just preparing the way for his move to White Hart Lane methinks... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Arsenal were awful, worst performance of the season that I've seen from them. Veira seemed lazy and unconcerned with closing down and tackling players, Pires was dire, gave the ball away too much, no drive to win balls either. Lehman was calamity, has had enough chances and needs to be replaced ASAP. Henry was the only player to emerge from that game with a shred of dignity. The two sending-off's were valid although Van Bommel did deserve a booking.

I too can see Arsenal throwing this away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

gandalf wrote:
    I am afraid that some of it is steming from Patrick Vieria, this season he has not been the same player of previous seasons.

I think thats cos he doesnt really wanna play for Arsenal, he would be at Real now if it hadnt been for them not paying him enough. Hope he comes back and plays well though, Ive always liked watchin Vieira, great player.
    gandalf wrote:
    As for Dumphy I never listen to the muppet he can't go 2 minutes without mentioning Roy Keane, I mean ffs all he is short of doing is whipping a picture of RoyBoy out and having one off the wrist !

That even wrecks my head a bit, and Im a Man U fan and a big Roy fan. Still though, one thing about Dunphy, he knows his football. And Im serious when I say that, even if he is an alco and a bit of a nutter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gandalf wrote:
    Arsene needs to get a central defender and a keeper in Jan.
    Didn't they only buy the Celta Vigo's first choice in the summer? Then there's Rami Shaabin, Graham Stack and Stuart Taylor. Surely one of these deserve their chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Draupnir wrote:
    That even wrecks my head a bit, and Im a Man U fan and a big Roy fan. Still though, one thing about Dunphy, he knows his football. And Im serious when I say that, even if he is an alco and a bit of a nutter.
    I'm delighted Celtic weren't on RTE tonight because he hasn't a clue about Celtic. Actually, I'd never say "He knows his football" about Dunphy as there's a lot of people on this forum that would do a better pundit job IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I dunno, read "only a game" his book, great read.

he is a bit of an asshole alright, but he does know his football, in my opinion anyway, hes just heavily biased. For one thing, he was onto Jack Charlton long before anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gandalf wrote:

And Whats wrong with that ? ;)

I missed the match last night so I can't comment on the sendings off or ref but I did catch Dunphys comments. I agree with him, there is a big difference in style between the premiership and European football. Arsenal have perfected how to play in the prem but still have some work to do to be sucessful in europe. The way Henry plays coming from deep is not as effective against the better european defences either.

B.T.W. Isn't Roy Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im voting roy for president.

arsenal in europe = spurs in league.

hohoho.

go'on that van bommell fella :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gandalf wrote:
    The Defense is being effected by Lehmanns inability to handle crosses, they are indecisive because of it. Arsene needs to get a central defender and a keeper in Jan.

I remember last season before the Chelsea game I said mop head was no good and everyone jumped down my throat!! well u tink I was right now?

Anyway wat about that bloke they bought in summer?? Alumnia?? is he not supposed to be the replacement!! both other goalkeepers are shipped out on loan to Milwall and Leceister!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I missed Viera's first booking but am I the only person who thought that he deserved the second yellow that he got? I know he got the ball but he did sort of go through on the player too.

Agreed about Van Brommel, how he wasn't booked is beyond me.

I though it was great to see the reactions of the PSV fans and team. Whe you look at the attitude of some teams who expect to go through and compare it to PSV last night you can see how much it means to them.

So what's the situation now? Aresnal really need to beat Rosenborg in 2 weeks to go though, that shouldn't be such a big task should it? A draw wouldn't be good enough if Panathinaikos beat PSV at home.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Where is the Arsenal vs Rosenborg match being played? Trondheim or Highbury? I think alot of teams could struggle playing Rosenborg up there, especially with a pitch like that! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The match is at highbury,

And if Arsenal win their match against the bottom team in the group at home, (as you would expect) the qualify for the next round, and they can still top the group, depending on the other result.

So to put it in perspective, Its not a bad position to be in. The 2 suspensions are proabably a big blow, as neither Viera or Lauren are available for the final group match.

X

So to put it in perspective, Its not a bad position to be in. The 2 suspensions are proabably a big blow, as neither Viera or Lauren are available for the final group match.

X

There are two Aresnal fans in work who are worried, but I think Arsenal should win at home to a team who have only managed to get 2 points in the group stage. Rosenborg haven't gotten a point away from home yet in the CL this season so I'm not sure how much of a loss Veira will be to Arsenal in that match tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, people think that Arsenal can't hack it, that Arsenal are on a slump post Man Utd, that Arsenal need a new this a new that.

All they need is Sol back.
    He is the the rock solid centre for the entire Arsenal team.
    He never has a bad day, and imo is the best central back in the entire world(cept maybe Puyol)

Once he's back, Arsenal will be back to their winnings ways.(againist **** teams of course)

p.s. I hope he gets injured again :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was he not playing yesterday?

He was, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

To be honest, I think Arsenal still should have won the game with 9 men! When you look at the chances that Ven Persie, Campbell, and Henry had in the second half, they could have been 3 or 4 up. Not to mention Henry's clanger in the first half when he robbed the ball off Alex, and then scuffed his shot wide. PSV, by comparison, created very little, and only seemed a threat from corners.

I think people should lay off Jens Lehmann though. The guy has lost one Premiership match ever! And yes, he has made a couple of dodgy decisions, but can you name me a keeper that hasn't? Roy Carroll? Look at the couple he let in against Lyon and Austria. Dudek? We all remember his mistakes against United a couple of years ago. Should we forget Petr Czech missing a cross last Saturday against Bolton?

When you play for one of the Premiership's elite clubs, you're always going to be under massive scrutiny, and any mistake will be highlighted and replayed again and again. I'm sure if you put some of the supposedly quality keepers from further down the league under the same scrutiny, you'd find they were even worse.

Arsenal really need a new centre-half as cover for Toure and Campbell, but even then, they really need to work on their heading. Arsenal have been abysmal in the air over the past couple of weeks, and are giving away a lot of unnecessary goals. Wenger keeps coming out and saying "...at least it is something that it easy to work on...", but then fails to work on it in training, or so it seems. I'm a great admirer of the job Wenger has done at Arsenal, but I don't think he should be beyond criticism. He really needs to get his head our of his arse and fix that problem before even more teams start exploiting it. Its his job, and its about time he did it.

mr_angry wrote:
    He really needs to get his head our of his arse

AHH now we know why Wenger never sees anything. ;)

Good post and I agree with you on Lemon (sp). He is a bit erratic but most top class keepers are. He is not the greatest goalkeeper I've seen and he could dominate the box a bit more but considering what they paid for him I think he was good value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I missed Viera's first booking but am I the only person who thought that he deserved the second yellow that he got? I know he got the ball but he did sort of go through on the player too.

He got the ball first though. It was a great tackle but thre ref didnt see it that way and van Bommel gave away around 10 frees and not one card. Seems very unfair imo.

Wenger imo needs to get that extra 10% from his team when they play in Europe. Or change his tactics slightly.

Ill have a bigger rant if they get knocked out but im confident they will go through. Hopefully the kncokout stages will suit them more.

Remember though Arsenal have yet to be outplayed at any match this season in europe or england, they just need to be more ruthless in front of goal.

jank wrote:
    van Bommel gave away around 10 frees and not one card. Seems very unfair imo..

ahh, its not the quantity, but the quality.

van bommell seems perfectly suited to spurs :)

ahh, its not the quantity, but the quality.

van bommell seems perfectly suited to spurs :)

Sounds like a perfect replacement for ROY KEANE

What do you think Gandalf ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I think Arsenal can struggle at times without the imagination that Bergkamp brings to the midfield-forward link up. They also seem to panic to a greater degree in the European games than they do in the league.

A not yet match-fit Flamini and Fabregas to play centre midfield against Rosenborg?

The Muppet wrote:
    Sounds like a perfect replacement for ROY KEANE

roflmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

jank wrote:
    He got the ball first though. It was a great tackle but thre ref didnt see it that way and van Bommel gave away around 10 frees and not one card. Seems very unfair imo.

Wenger imo needs to get that extra 10% from his team when they play in Europe. Or change his tactics slightly.

Ill have a bigger rant if they get knocked out but im confident they will go through. Hopefully the kncokout stages will suit them more.

Remember though Arsenal have yet to be outplayed at any match this season in europe or england, they just need to be more ruthless in front of goal.
    i think what you're saying is right. they're creating the chances but just not finishing them, they should buy morientes or such a similar player. they're nearly comfortable all the time in these games with just an odd attack by the opposition and panic a bit.
    wenger needs new tactics in europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sol isn't back yet, he's just come back from a **** load of missed games, once he has played maybe 2 more matches, the defense will be a rock again.

Wenger is losing because of pyschology.
    He says after every game that they don't win or lose that they were robbed in some way, thats something which isn't very condusive towards a good team spirit.

Every other maanger in the league says, some days it goes your way, some days it doesn't.

He however bitches about something or other, and thus the team don't get fired up, they get pissed off and go into their heads.

Advertisement