Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Civil War - a reality

Options
  • 25-11-2004 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭

According to this BBC article both sides seem to be ready to push this all the way.
    Calling for a general strike, Mr Yushchenko told a vast crowd of supporters in the central Independence Square that Ukraine was on the brink of a "civil conflict".

Mr Kuchma, who backs Mr Yanukovych, denounced the opposition protests and warned civil war "could well become a reality at the present time".
    This all depends on which way the army and police go, many municipalities seem to be supporting Yushchenko so all he needs is armed backing and he's in. This may be a surpise first use for the European battle groups that we have been talking about, of course it's an extreme chance but if things get really bad I would approve of their use to remove that Putin-ass-licker Mr Yanukovych. Europe has to react strongly if this gets out of hand, the Ukraine is part of Europe and hopefully will - one day - be part of the EU so we should really help it out in it's time of need if it's necessary. What do you all think, is civil war coming?, should we try and stop it from escalating if it does?, interfere in it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

come on everybody croc is dying to shoot someone, raise the airfare for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bloody right! I've got my M-76 with high powered zoom and I'm ready to hunt baby! YEHAAAAA ;)
    m76-1.jpg
    No but seriously things may get out of hand and it could get nasty in Ukraine, that's why I'm also bringing my M-4A1 with LSS, XM-26.
    XM-26-1.jpg
    So I can clear the streets and not leave the buildings standing. Ay least if Ukraine goes on fire we can stop talikng about the evil Americans and instead complain about the evil Ukrainians, it will make some people on this forum very happy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

If the Ukraine falls into Civil war, I reckon the Russians will stand in as per usual.

It does'nt look good.

If the Ukraine falls into Civil war, I reckon the Russians will stand in as per usual.
    That's why I think we should also "stand in", after all aren't there reports of Russian SF in the east of the country? I just hope and wish that the EU has the balls for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The M79 is a grenade launcher.

• Advertisement

Well if the Russian Spenatz get stuck in only god knows what will happen.

OSCE can't do anything, nor the EU at the moment, a UN Force would not suit that area..

So only a NATO Force could deploy rapidly enough.

It is clear and simple the government there are boggie in every sense.

40MM Grenade Launcher to be precise better know as the "Thump Gun" in Vietnam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This is not the Weapons Nuts forum.

jc

Watch who you are calling a weapons nut, it was a joke, take a chill pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

That's why I think we should also "stand in", after all aren't there reports of Russian SF in the east of the country?
    Russian SF? Led by Gerry Adamski? The guy who taunted his enemies in his international hit "Killer" some years ago?
    I just hope and wish that the EU has the balls for it.
    I wish some of the people who are so keen on war had the balls to do us all a favour and join the army.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

bonkey wrote:

jc

:D ....Classic

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Russian SF? Led by Gerry Adamski? The guy who taunted his enemies in his international hit "Killer" some years ago?

I wish some of the people who are so keen on war had the balls to do us all a favour and join the army.

I was in there and TBH, war is not a solution to anything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bonkey wrote:

jc

Can we have one please :D Sparks and Civdef get grumpy on the shooting forum if you post anything that isnt an BB gun :D

Back on topic, Its a east v west type conflict here, the western side is "jealous" of poland and its EU entry, the east has always "looked" to Russian for support and the heavy industry their fear (rightly in a way) that western style economics will have the same affect that it had in East germany after in the early 90's

Do they have a Nuclear Weapons or did the Russians pull them all out ??

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Right so if Russia decides to "help out" the "democratically elected" leader of Ukraine we should just sort of......sit back and do nothing? Jesus no wonder the Americans make fun of us we will probably be needing them again very soon to clean up another East-european mess while we are busy sending in diplomats to bore the Russians to death :rolleyes: Anyway as I said there isn't really much chance of that happening ( Putin is already backing down ) but still if it does we really should react rather then sitting on our asses and talking about the situation.

I said M 76 :)
    Officially no they don't, but they may because of some errors when they where giving them back to the Russians, proper numbers weren't kept.

MMMMMMMMMMM could be a problem if all hell breaks loose !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nuttzz wrote:
    Can we have one please :D Sparks and Civdef get grumpy on the shooting forum if you post anything that isnt an BB gun :D
    Not so much "grumpy" as "viciously angry and vengeful" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So there are requests for a "Gun Nut" forum and a "Tin-Foil Hat" forum - in my mind, those two could easily be combined! In the States there are tons of tin-foil hat-wearing gun nuts..."Quick boys, down to the tornado shelter, I hear the black helicopters coming, the Gov'ment wants to take our guns and make us speak Mexican or live in Canadia!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

As part of the agreements relating to the break up of the Soviet Union all nuclear weapons were returned to the Russian state for decommissioning.

• Advertisement

Right so if Russia decides to "help out" the "democratically elected" leader of Ukraine we should just sort of......sit back and do nothing?
    K so, as long as we get to serve under whipcracking leather clad eurovision babe Ruslana, I'm right behind you. Here's some songs to sing to keep spirits up in case we get captured and have to endure some unpleasant torture by psychotic Russian Chechnya vets. Ne pospishayte!
    Jesus no wonder the Americans make fun of us
    Pay no heed. The Americans who make fun of europe are usually the ones who go to great lengths to avoid military service when their country is at war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Court freezes Ukraine poll result

Ukraine's top court has suspended publication of the presidential election result until it considers the opposition's complaints next week.

Liberal opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko appealed to the Supreme Court after election officials declared Viktor Yanukovych the winner.

He called for a general strike amid widespread concern that the election was rigged in favour of Mr Yanukovych. Supporters of the official winner have vowed to ignore the strike calls.

[...]

Putin says let the courts decide
    Russia and the European Union have called for a peaceful approach to solving the Ukrainian political crisis.

Russia's Vladimir Putin and EU leaders agreed that objections to the outcome should be examined by the courts.
    It seems as if Russia may not have the stomach to push hard on this, Putin is already making appeasing noises at the EU. Of course he would love to have a puppet in power but he is sensible enough not try anything dangerous, so maybe given enough time Yanukovych will just be pushed out.
    Poison scandal look at the difference......amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Military intervention by the West in Ukraine is sadly not realistic because Ukraine may have nuclear weapons. Officially Belarus and Ukraine supposedly sent Soviet nuclear weapons remaining on their territories after independence to Russia. However, in the mid 1990's it was announced in Ukraine that due to a so-called "clerical error", Ukraine may retain hundreds of nuclear missiles, though supposedly not targeted ones. Wouldn't risk it though, especially considering that the Russian Black Sea fleet are based in Ukraine, and that Russian and Belarussian special-forces are allegedly inside Ukraine to support the evil Kuchma/Yanuckovych dictatorship.

I say freeze the bank-accounts of all members of the Ukrainian government and those implicated in the rigging of the elections. Also, ban them from travel to the West, impose an arms embargo, an oil-embargo, and a total trade-embargo excluding food and medicines. Then see how long the Russophile clique in the Presidential HQ will hold out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oleg

Hi, all!
    I think all of you noticed events that are developing in the Ukraine at the moment. People trying to protect their right to vote and democracy.
    What you say - is that possible to pass an idea of U2 support in Kiev? There is constant arena for signers and of cause politicians. But, Ruslana winner of Eurovision 2004 declared hunger-strike against elections result and brothers Klitchko "showed their muscles" there already. There are a million of people only in capital city came to street. Help to support democracy!

Who is a contact person, where is a gate to knock?

Best regards to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

arcade, if it didn't work against Bush, why would it work against Yanukovych?

they are two different fruits!

Hi Oleg! Can you tell me what "Ne pospishayte" means please?

"Don't be hurry" from ukrainian

• Advertisement

Dyakooyu!

Advertisement