Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Zyxel modem IOL supplies you to free of charge

• 25-11-2004 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

when i recieved the package for the BB Trial they provided me with a free rental of a usb Zyxel Prestige 623 R-T1 or T-R1 router/modem

anyways, i wasn't able to find any linux drivers for it, anyone find a driver for it, assumin one exists?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Never looked for one, but wouldn't it be easier to use the Ethernet port, or is there some reason you can't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Agreed there are no Linux drivers for it.
    You should use the 10/100 M Lan conenction for that OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 medi

okay sounds good! can someone tell me wot i gotta do - i'm a n00b to dis stuff lolz - my bro did setup the current connection we got... but if some1 can post a link to an url taht tells me wot do i'd appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 medi

lol nvm, it was just a case that one of the wires was plugged out :/

i'm replyin from linux right now :)

thx anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Welcome to the internet my friend!
    Now, first off, let me introduce you to a mobile phone. It has a small keypad.
    Here we have a computer keyboard. Spacious, Luxurious, and it even has one key for every letter of the alphabet.

Heh, I can hear you don't worry. You're asking me why I'm telling you this, well here's the answer...

Speak English! You have a whole god damn keyboard in front of you!

*calms down*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

LOL. Why anyone would use the USB port on the modem is beyond me! And in case anyone else was wondeirng setting up *nix for EsatBT is easy. Either use a built in *nix ethernet program or edit your hosts file (eg. nameserver 192.168.1.1).

medi - The Zyxel comes setup as a DHCP server, so if you just connect an ethernet cable from the network card on your PC to the LAN port on your Zyxel and reboot Linux you might find it's up and going straight away, all depends on the flavour of Linux you're using! First thing you'll want to make sure of is that Linux has a driver for your NIC. After that if it isn't working look for some program like 'Network Configuration" or something on those lines and follow the prompts. I haven't used Linux much, but have used Red Hat 8/9 and Knoppix and found they go on pretty easily...

Surely if he's just using his NIC (Network Interface Card for the uninitiated :)) and the modem, he'd need a crossover cable?

The modem will connect to a LAN on both patch and crossover cables so it makes no difference.

But it will if it's not connected to a hub/switch.
    If they're connected directly they'll need a crossover cable to function

• Advertisement

That used to be the case, but on a lot of routers and switches now they will sort that out for you, so a straight through or cross-over will work. I've just checked that with the Zyxel just to be sure and I think I remember the Eircom Netopias being the same, and for what it's worth most of the new 3Com (and probably others) switches will allow you use straight through cables to connect devices that would have required cross over before.

Exactly as i said before.
    The router accepts both types of cable regardless of setup.
    Might i add i work for IOL.

I know, just didn't think zoro realised what you said due to his reply ;)

Diabolus - all you said was "both work" ... at least zenith gave a detailed responce ;):p
    And I didn't know you worked for IOL. :D

Advertisement