Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reality Tv

• 25-11-2004 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Should so called reality tv be banned?
    Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity get me out of here etc etc. Who really cares what these people do? Snakes bites Janet Street Porter. The snake has my sympathy. Before you ask why am I watching this let me say I'm not. It's like passive smoking. I don't want it but it's everywhere.
    The events of the last 24 hours are reported on the TV and in the Newspapers as if they had some importance. My God are we becoming so dumb that we accept this as entertainment?

Should Reality TV be Banned ? 37 votes

Yes, it's a load of old tripe
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's very informative and entertaining
    89% 33 votes
    Neutral feelings on the subject
    10% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

as billy connoly said, " Theres people sitting in a house watching people sitting in a house".

you have to be either stupid or extremely peel your own face off bored to watch the tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

day 78 in the house and it's simon's turn to make breakfast!

now thats quality TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

as billy connoly said, " Theres people sitting in a house watching people sitting in a house".

you have to be either stupid or extremely peel your own face off bored to watch the tripe.
    I whole heartedly agree with that comment. Those idiots in the jungle are the lowest form of entertainment.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭irldavem

I used to watch big brother, well mostly the condensed shows at the end of each day.
    Now I think reality TV has gone way too far. E4 are the worst for it.
    You can't put on the channel for half an hour without seeing ads for these crap shows.

Unfortunately, this is one that wont go away if you just ignore it because there are too many people that are still watching this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Each to their own! I don't like Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate etc but I don't think they should be banned!

If you don't like it don't watch it, simple as that. Oh and stop whining about it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, and they couldn't ban a show just because it's bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I am SICK TO DEATH of it. We're becoming far too voyeuristic & eventually it's gonna be part of what puts society into a very serious situation. When we're through seeing people humiliate themselves, & reality TV getting more & more depraved, where do we go then & more importantly, where does it stop?

In the U.S. they wanted to televise executions as part of a TV entertainment show.... granted they do this on Al Jazeera for a giggle (wierd???!!!!???) - but will we get to the stage where we have a 'Running Man' type show....

When you look at that movie & the idea presented in it - when it came out it seemed very far fetched - it doesn't any more......

Nail on the head there - never a truer word was spoken. People are too busy watching other people 'live' (irony if there was ever one) in a LESS than reality-based situation puporting to be 'reality-tv'. Reality TV is anything but.... yes, everyone gets locked in a house with other random people they can't leave all the ****in time - get a grip..... it's tripe, garbage, low-brow & anything but entertaining.... I'm not saying TV has to be 'Discovery Channel' everything or whatever, but come on - give us a break already!!!!!

Life is for living - not spending it sitting on your arse watching people live in a completely artificial environment.... go out, get laid, get drunk, do something - turn off the TV & live your life!!!!!

::: ven0mous :::

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What better way to solve boredom than watch other success starved, media darling wannabe loser sit around try to make him/herself look good and sound funny / controversial?

BB1 was good. The rest have been twaddle.

Survivor has been about the only decent reality show. Difference between that and other banal crap is that in Survivor you actually have to try hard to survive.

Then you have crap like the Swan, which IMHO, is morally wrong.

That said, I dont think it should be banned, as Reality TV is no worse than other crap on the tv like Fair City. Its all about taste. Some like soaps and reality, other like wrestling and soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Bond-007 wrote:
    I whole heartedly agree with that comment. Those idiots in the jungle are the lowest form of entertainment.:(

I'd watch a documentary on jungle bugs before I'd watch washed up no names celebs crying in a jungle.

reality tv = Sh1t TV

Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Alot of reality tv is bad, but where do you draw the line- The News, A place in the Sun or big brother. I'm still for it and hopefully they bring out a real running man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Not a fan myself. I don't mind the fact they exist, but it's when they start to devour entire channels that I get annoyed.

Advertisement