Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mr perfect

• 25-11-2004 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of wrestlers who come and go in the wrestling business and especially the wwe.One of these wrestlers was mr perfect.

in my opinion he was in the same league as bret hart hogan angle hhh and hbk.I held it against the WWE for firing him for the airplane incident.I mean wrestlers who have a very stressful schedule should be allowed a little leeway.wwe superstars travel everyday or every 2nd day and mite take up to 4 or 5 journeys a week while putting their body and health on the line.

Perfect and Hall were fred for getting drunk and bad behaviour.but if memory serves me correctly,wasnt brock lesnar,michael hayes,bradshaw and others doing the same.now while Hall has/had a drinking problem maybe his release was justified and expected.but Perfect was a great talent who the fans loved.personally one of my all time favourites.He could take superstars like rikishi and HHH and make them look better.He also propelled Brets career as a singles competitor.The guy is what he said he was..."perfect".I think its a crying shame what happened and always thought that if it didn't happen he mite still be alive today.

anybody agree or disagree?also thoughts on your favourite wrestler deceased or inactive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I saw perfect in a dark match a couple of years back before InsurreXtion in London. I think he was taking on Golddust. I had been a big fan of his but he looked tired, his set ups were fairly obvious (maybe only to a smart mark) and he didn't work the crowd with the same disdain he used to.

I guess wrestlers just have a sell by date and at that stage he had passed his. Im still a fan of his and he was in the same class as Bret and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

blackbelt wrote:
    Perfect and Hall were fred for getting drunk and bad behaviour.but if memory serves me correctly,wasnt brock lesnar,michael hayes,bradshaw and others doing the same.now while Hall has/had a drinking problem maybe his release was justified and expected.but Perfect was a great talent who the fans loved.personally one of my all time favourites.He could take superstars like rikishi and HHH and make them look better.He also propelled Brets career as a singles competitor.The guy is what he said he was..."perfect".I think its a crying shame what happened and always thought that if it didn't happen he mite still be alive today.

anybody agree or disagree?also thoughts on your favourite wrestler deceased or inactive

I'm with you on Hennig, an amazing second generation talent who had a number of personal problems, mainly with depression and alcohol abuse. The WWE tour schedule put a lot of pressure on him during the early 90s and he barely saw his family which he found very difficult to deal with. His stunt in 96 didn't do him a lot of favours with McMahon either (He was working alongside Triple H in an angle with Mero, but jumped ship to WCW at very last minute, screwing HHH over in the process) He was brilliant on the mic as well, funny commentator and loved a practical joke here and there. And i'll never forgive Hogan for holding him back in 1990 (his push was meant to start by winning the Royal Rumble that year, but Hogan wanted it seeing as two of them had gone by and he wanted the credit), despite the fact that he was the #1 company draw and WWE Champion at the time.

Dynamite Kid Tom Billington is another one i miss, but years of steroid abuse and sick bumps in Japan, he crippled himself in a comeback match in 1996 and has been confined to a wheelchair ever since. :( His stiff with Tiger Mask in Japan as to be seen to be believed.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I loved Perfect, in the late 80's/ Early 90's when guys could get on TV with 2 moves and a fisher monger by day/wrestler by night gimmick , he was technically sound as a bell, had a great look and was funny as hell with the mic ( got even better when Heenan joined him ).You're right , back then he was on a par with Bret, they were almost mirror images of each other as faces/heels and was seen as Bret's rival long before HBK.There Summerslam 91 match was a classic. If HHH and JBL can be top heel / world champs today, then Perfect, along with Rude and Dibiase were more than capable back then. Some of his later work with Savage and Razor wasn’t as good but still entertaining. I never liked him as Flair "Ex. Consultant"

But by the time he joined WCW, he'd lost the spark big time. Like a lot of WWF jumpers, he was put in the NWO and was therefore way down the pecking order; they wasted his talent as they did so many others.

And his last stint in WWE was a disaster. He was overweight and had lost a lot of his sharpness. He would have been better of as a manager like the time he accompanied Mark Mero for a while, but it looked to me like Vince was punishing him for something, losing to Tazz was the final insult.

As you say it's unfair to fire him for the plane affair but let others off Scott free, but I think they were just looking for an excuse at that stage.

However, I wouldn’t blame WWE for his death, that's bang out of order; he could have gotten over his firing the way others have. No one chose his lifestyle but him

D-FENS wrote:
    I never liked him as Flair "Ex. Consultant"

He would have been better of as a manager like the time he accompanied Mark Mero for a while, but it looked to me like Vince was punishing him for something, losing to Tazz was the final insult.

Not for me to stir the pot, but em, isn't that kinda a contridiction? A manager is a manager, he stands outside and interferes!
    However, I wouldn’t blame WWE for his death, that's bang out of order; he could have gotten over his firing the way others have. No one chose his lifestyle but him

Yeah, i'll second this. Hennig was ruined by WCW, especially with that Rap is Crap gimmick. And if you thought his Summerslam match in 91 with Bret was a classic, dig up their KOTR semi final match in 1993, it's even better because Hennig's back wasn't screwed.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Not for me to stir the pot, but em, isn't that kinda a contridiction? A manager is a manager, he stands outside and interferes!

I agree that there is no difference between a manager and an ex. consultant , that's why i had it in inverted comma's , i was being sarcastic of WWF calling him that rather than a manager as if there was a difference.

And i don't think i contridicted myself by saying i did'nt like him with Flair but would have liked him as a manager in '02 , because in '02 he was way past his prime as a wrestler and would have been better suited using his mic skills and reputation to help a young guy the way most managers do , rather than in '92 when he was pretty much portrayed as Flair's house boy as Booker T would say.I know he was injured at the time but he had more to offer than that and i also don't think Flair needed him - if he needed an outside interferer they should have use one of the Monsters around at the time, and he sure did'nt need Perfect to speak for him , he had his own legendary tongue and Heenan in the commentary box promoting his every bowel movement.

• Advertisement

This is true, but still i'd rather that than have him off the screens. Think about it, Savage was rusty, Hogan was on his way off to make another movie and Bret wasn't quite the best there is, was or ever would be at the time, and Shawn was on the verge of his Rockers split. So in a somewhat rebuilding phase, they needed as many people as they could keep on screen.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Yeah...My sentiments exactly, he was a great Wrestler and actually an equally good showman, to think WWE could of fired Lesnar instead and now look whats happened...I have his "Tribute video on my computer"...the guy was Perfect, did everything so clean, very gifted Wrestler in terms of technique and acting ability

Given the state of Hennig's personal life, his death would have been inevitable, regardless of if he was fired or not.

VR!

What i liked most with Perfect was the fact that he gave the IC title some meaning . I dont think there has been a better IC champion then Perfect . He was a wrestler i loved to hate but i dont think there will be a better IC champ then him in the future .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

im not blaming the WWE directly for Curt Hennigs death.When i said i wondered if the WWE didnt fire him would he still be alive.By this i meant would people have looked out for Hennig more in the WWE?Try and help the guy.The WWE superstars always highlight the fact that their company is like a family extention.that they are real close friends they are like family.

Hennig would have friends like Flair,Mark Callaway and old school friends lookin out for him.I heard he was with an indy wrestling company in Florida? when he died.

Anyway the guy was perfection in the late 80s early 90s.I agree that he lost some of his magic in the ring while in WCW and his 02 comeback.Having said this he could still outclass todays wrestlers with a simple punch or suplex.He could sell moves really well.I loved watching him give Kurt Angle the perfect plex at RR 02.He mite have been a bit overweight but he could still pull it off really well.If people think he shouldnt of been put back in the ring cos he was a bit overweight then u mite as well say get rid of Flair cos he is old and his skin is sagging and turning flabby.

ps Perfect is/was better than Flair.He had more moves.all flair has is a punch,chop,kick,that comedy fall,the figure 4.perfect had a dropkick a knee lift,suplex lots of amateur moves,the perfect plex etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement