Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control Switch

Options
  • 25-11-2004 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Firstly let me say my knowledge of electronics is basic!!

I am trying to realise my nephews invention, but dont know how.

Basicaly I want to get a transmitter that sends a signal activated by a pressure sensor / switch on a persons foot...when they walk. The signal travels to a receiver that turns on an alarm or/and a light. I dont want an additional activation of the transmitter to turn the receiver activated object off...it should remain on. Can I buy something over the counter at Maplin / peats, or do I need to buy multiple components and start soldering?

Any help or hint would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:confused:
    not sure what you mean
    is the sensor on the shoe or on the ground ?

do you want to detect one person or any person ?

what range ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 peppard

The sensor would be under the foot, so it would activate a transmitter when the person walks. The transmitter could be placed around the ankle with the battery there. Does this make sense?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LIDL have remote control plugs. The control has 4 on buttons and 4 off buttons. So things would stay on until turned off. The plugs are your standard 3 pin plugs - so you can plug lights and stuff into them. Should do for proof of concept.

pro - €25 and they are still in some stores
    con - short range and the handsets all use different signals so you can't mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Possibly one of those cheapo car alarm kits, one with the button that sets of the alarm straight away, you'd get one for very little money and with two controllers, you'd only need a 12V car battery to power up the sounder and the controller would be very small and light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Hello,

Im not sure why you would to detect when a person walks? Also why wouldn't this sensor be activated while a person sits or stands still?

Anyway I designed a few remote devices. For the remote part if I were you I would build it out of discrete components. I would buy RF txmitting modules from Farnell. If you want I can give you a full cct diagram of a one way RF Txmitter Rxeiver. You could connect a simple alarm to the receiver end, I could send on a cct diagram for this also. RF modules could cost up on E100 from Farnell though.

RF modules will only give you a distance of 200m max. Is this long enough.?

An idea would be to connect the RF receiver to a webserver which could activate an alarm anywhere in the world then. I could advise you on this also if you waant to know a bit about it.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hey this wouldn't be a sleep walking dector would it? It all adds up! Was you nephew on the thing with Gaybo there tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

if it helps the comreg permitted low power low range TX freqs for this application (static TXer to signal) are (Mhz)

49.82-49.98

With my limited knowledge I would have a pressure pad transmit a continuous tone, a scanner would listen with a directional antenna and attenuator with its output going into a laptops microphone in which would make some running program start the alarm. all the fancy stuff would be done in the program.

just an rough idea

Advertisement