Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special characters in title bar

Options
  • 25-11-2004 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi can people tell me what special characters you can have in a url

e.g. ?, &, = etc all have special meaning

also is there any type of work around for these?

the problem is I have a input box and when it returns in puts what was inputted in the url

(e.g. if user inputted test) - now my question is if the user typed in test&
    how can I convert '&' so it will not be read as a parameter in the url?

any help welcome!
    e.g. http://......./&NEW_PAGE=test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but...

If you're just using a striaght forward form, then your browser should escape it automatically (for you to unescape server side) as %26. If you're using JavaScript, check out the escape() method.

There is an online JavaScript example here although, they roll their own encode/decode.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

rfc1738 : the URL standard definition is most likely what you're looking for.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bonkey wrote:
    rfc1738 : the URL standard definition is most likely what you're looking for.

jc
    that's the one - yeah

Advertisement