Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical Weapons Lab Found in Fallujah

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Does anyone know this ''factory'' was insurgent run?
    Its not a factory, its a chemistry lab.

From the sky news site:
    They also doubted whether evidence had been found of chemical weapons production.

From CNN:
    A U.S. military spokesman in Falluja downplayed the discovery, saying "there is no indication right now that (the chemicals) were being used to produce chemical weapons."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Everybodys says the war is for Oil, why?

Oil is currently traded in Dollars. In Nov. 2000 (when the euro was worth around 82 cents) Saddam started trading in Euro’s and because the euro is worth more than the dollar he started making more money. The US is worried that other OPEC countries will start trading oil in euro’s. This would result in the value of the dollar dropping dramatically.

The other factor that is driving the Iraq war is that the US and British oil reserves are expected to reach their peak production in 2010.
    Iraq and Saudi Arabia and maybe Iran are the only nations not close to reaching peak oil production.

Here's a really long and detailed article about it.
    http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/RRiraqWar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gurgle wrote:
    Em no, no, why do you ask ?
    Who have you been talking to ?

I'm suggesting that based on the information provided it is as likely to be a school chemistry lab as anything else.
    Ah, gotcha. As for the WMD thing, it ain't. Even the soldiers say it ain't. It seems to be just a low-tech bombs factory. Downloading the likes of "the Anarchists Cookbook", to see how they can make some bombs, it will of course have other stuff in it on other ways to kill.
    Gurgle wrote:
    I am 100% certain that there were no usable WMD in Iraq before the US/UK invasion.
    I'm 50-50 on that subject. The Americans know they had WMD, because they have the reciepts for them ;) and are only concerned, as they don't trust Saddam's word that he destroyed/used them all on the locals.
    I'm nearly certain Iraq was pumping oil before the war, I may be wrong but wasn't that the whole point of the Oil for Food program?
    Sorry, you are right. It can't have been that much as
    Procedures were slow, monies were withheld for war reparations, and Iraq's oil industry could not obtain either investments or adequate spare parts
    There wasn't much food going in, and seriously, do you think Saddam would pump out the oil if he didn't get any money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gurgle wrote:
    In Egypt, (in 2000) even the banks would only accept dollars or sterling (Bank of England only - must have the Queen's face on it). My brother was there this year and now they happily take €uro as well.
    Of course, Euro banknotes weren't available in 2000.
    I'm nearly certain Iraq was pumping oil before the war, I may be wrong but wasn't that the whole point of the Oil for Food program?
    I think it was 2 million barrels per day before the war, dropped to nil, came back to 80% and has been suffering intermittant drops to 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

sky news had this as a flash banner on their screen for about an hour but it was never followed up beyond that, of course i doubt they corrected themselves job done...

US forces said today they were not aware of any more labs having been discovered

more of media/news question re sky news and Blair... I had thought that some of the papers in Briton and possibly Sky News were being anti-war cos it was popular to be in some way or jsut to be anti-government, whoever that governement may be, not because they actually thought the war was wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sleepy wrote:
    Can it be that Bush & Blair were right all along? :eek:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1161529,00.html
    Sky news! Sleepy, I'm surprised at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Redleslie2 wrote:
    If they found a badly dubbed video of Jurassic Park 2 tomorrow, they'd say it was proof that the Iraqis were trying to clone dinosaurs. And people here would believe it.

I've been reading since page 1 and all i've got to ask is why Jurassic Park 2?

ronano wrote:
    "Jurassic Park" was an experiment, "Jurassic Park 2" was repeatable technology. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dunno if its been said.

but if they are finding these labs now doesnt that lean more to the 'War has brought more terrorists into the country' argument? The Labs were not there the first time the army came through but now after Insurgents took the city the labs are there....hmmm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any mention of what chemicals found ?

In a city that size you would expect to find labs in secondary schools, testing laboratories, many factories etc. as well as underground labs for refining drugs/making E etc. I would be more suprised if no labs were found.

Terrorists with Terrorist literature - shock horror who would have ever thought.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. €30,000,000 reward offered for wmd - lots of people could knock something together for a percentage.

SKY - first with the News, while the others are checking facts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    dunno if its been said.

but if they are finding these labs now doesnt that lean more to the 'War has brought more terrorists into the country' argument? The Labs were not there the first time the army came through but now after Insurgents took the city the labs are there....hmmm

You're wrong.
    This lab clearly displays saddam hussein's former regime element's intentions to begin a program to develop precursors to weapons of mass destruction that could hit anywhere in Venezuela within 45 minutes

Bush has done the right thing by invading to protect venezuela to once again prove what a stern champion of democracy he is! The democratic iraqi people will have an election in january, even if half of them consider it a sham. Sometimes you have to force democracy on people so they can be soverign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

ronano wrote:
    Good question. "The power of love", crooned absolutely atrocious but massively successful band of old farts Huey Lewis And The News at some stage in the 80's, "is a curious thing, make a one man weep, make another man sing." This desperate bunch of tepid mid-tempo yuppie-friendly pap peddling pub rockers might have well been singing about "the terrorist brain", for it too is a mysterious and unpredictable thing which, when stimulated, tends to provoke a variety of (largely unpleasant) responses, and may never be fully understood. So under the circumstances, perhaps it's best to terminate it where ever it's found, with extreme prejudice, before any complex problems and unanswerable questions even begin to look like arising.

Memnoch wrote:
    This lab clearly displays saddam hussein's former regime element's intentions to begin a program to develop precursors to weapons of mass destruction that could hit anywhere in Venezuela within 45 minutes
    The painter said he would start on Tuesday. He didn't say which Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Memnoch wrote:
    You're wrong.

Bush has done the right thing by invading to protect venezuela to once again prove what a stern champion of democracy he is! The democratic iraqi people will have an election in january, even if half of them consider it a sham. Sometimes you have to force democracy on people so they can be soverign.

this is sarcasm right?

me slow...

if not. (dam no dieing of laughter smiley :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

any mention of what chemicals found ?
    CNN wrote:
    Also found in the lab were hydrochloric acid and sodium cyanide

I just checked our lab in work, we have hydrochloric acid. Its not really used though because Nitric acid is much more powerfull, we also have Sulphuric acid.

I think I bought the Hydrochloric and Sulphuric a couple of years ago to see if they were better than Nitric.

None of them were hard to come by, and I work in an IC assembly factory. What kind of interesting stuff do all you chemical engineers out there play with ?

Sodium Cyanide isn't exactly the rarest thing in the world either apparently. Its about $1,400 per tonne. That would make it roughly the same price as table salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    this is sarcasm right?

yes

Advertisement