Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE and US Reporting

Options
  • 25-11-2004 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I seem to recall a rather defiant Carol Coleman some months back interviewing one Mr.Bush and asking him some testing questions (although I thought they were perfectly normal questions to be asked of a leader). Since then I feel I have seen a retreat by RTE and it's reporters to be impartial to matters pertaining to US policy and indeed perhaps leaning a little towards the US admins cause.

Any thoughts on this, just wondering if I'm imagining it all.

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Nothing really springs to minds but I prefer to watch Newsnight rather than RTE, any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

She won an award for that interview at the IFTA awards didn't she?

To be honest I don't think anyone has been in a situation even similar to that interview to test RTE's attitude to American affairs.

The coverage they gave to the election was very fair I though, although nowhere near as long as ITV and BBC's coverage, but they do have dedicated 24 hour news channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Well, given that national media often reflects the mood of the masses, can it be said that the mood is less critical of the US in recent weeks / months? I certainly don't see or read (outside of boards) as many stinging attacks recently.
    Though other reason may be fatigue after spending so much time on US issues during the run up to the presidential election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Thank you for those comments. Maybe I was being too critical. Sorry Nuttz I can't think of any examples except for that I do recall Carol giving an opinion on something to do with that I thought sided with the US admin point of view.

I'll keep an ear for out and try to remember to post an example if I hear one.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I seem to recall a rather defiant Carol Coleman some months back interviewing one Mr.Bush and asking him some testing questions (although I thought they were perfectly normal questions to be asked of a leader). Since then I feel I have seen a retreat by RTE and it's reporters to be impartial to matters pertaining to US policy and indeed perhaps leaning a little towards the US admins cause.

Any thoughts on this, just wondering if I'm imagining it all.

Nick

I made this point after the interview and got bombarded so I probably will again but she didn't seem defiant to me just very ignorant, its on thing to ask the questions but she asked them in a very derogitory manner, she wouldn't let him finish answering a previous question and then would jump in with a pressing question as if to catch him in a lie,I would of found it insulting and If I was Bush I would of reacted the exact same way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

ionapaul wrote:
    Well, given that national media often reflects the mood of the masses, can it be said that the mood is less critical of the US in recent weeks / months? I certainly don't see or read (outside of boards) as many stinging attacks recently.
    Though other reason may be fatigue after spending so much time on US issues during the run up to the presidential election?

I've lived in Ireland all my life, moved here as a baby but my mom has an American accent and I adopted it off her...what ever about the media the general consensus is still very anti-America and I don't just mean anti-war I mean anti-America, I work in a shop on weekends and more than a few have made their feeling known to me like its my fault and some college colleagues (good oul liberal students) have made some commments themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

I've lived in Ireland all my life, moved here as a baby but my mom has an American accent and I adopted it off her...what ever about the media the general consensus is still very anti-America and I don't just mean anti-war I mean anti-America, I work in a shop on weekends and more than a few have made their feeling known to me like its my fault and some college colleagues (good oul liberal students) have made some commments themselves
    Well unfortunately you will almost always find narrow-minded people in every country.

I understand how you might feel about Carol's interview but I didn't really want to discuss that issue here, I'm more interested to hear people's views on RTE's political slant (if there is any). What's your view on RTE's reporting post Coleman on Bush? :)

Nick

Advertisement