Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best tv option Roundwood Wicklow

• 25-11-2004 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I'm soon to move to Roundwood am I am wondering what my best tv option is. Sky/Chorus/Freeview etc

At the moment my friend gets pretty good reception by aerial. It must come from wales as BBC Wales, SC4 are standard and good reception. I guess we are pretty high up.......would freeview work??

tks for any advice you can give.

Barry

Comments

It depends.
    Up there some use presely while others use Blaenplwyf both of which are DTT enabled.
    Do they have channel five, thats on presely only.
    And is the aerial horizontal or vertical?

It needs to be pointing like this to be horizontal

aerial%2048%20vision%20220x173.gif

whereas sitting up like this is vertically polarised

6203_l.jpg

If the aerial is vertical then there will be no freeview as its most likely getting pictures from the analog arfon relay.

You might be better off with sky digital though and a FTV card(see the satelite board)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Do they have channel five, thats on presely only.
    Hate being picky, but Five is available from Blaenplwyf albeit on Ch.56 on 4kW - meaning it's out of group from the other four terrestial channels and on such ridiclously low power that it's bound to be weak by the time it reaches the coast, if it actually does.

It doesnt I can assure you.
    I'd forgotten about its weeny Blaenplwyf tx

If they have ch5 it would have to be presely
    But the answer to which tx is being used is in the aerial.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another option is to get a FTA reciever or second hand digibox for your BBC needs, and hope UTV & C5 go free to air.

One advantage of an aerial is that you can watch more than one channel unlike a sat system. Don't forget that Analog TV will be switched off in the UK before here and I don't know if they are going to up the power on the DTT or not. If they do the a freeview box might be an option then.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Another option is to get your hands on a UK FTV card and a Sky digibox. That way you can get BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, ITV 1, 2, 3, C4 and C5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

In Roundwood it seems to depend on the local terrain, but there's enough houses with ariels to suggest that you can get the UK stations. Whether the signal quality is good enough for DTT is another matter. Seems to me that people are getting them from all three of the transmitters mentioned.

Irish terrestrial reception isn't great either. Could be a case of getting that from the Laragh relay, plus Mount Leinster for TV3 - although again could depend on where you'll be living again. I think there's a relay in Ashford, which could come into play if you're that side of the village.

There is no Chorus in Roundwood, afaik. There's one house right out near the Sugarloaf that has an MMDS dish, but that's it.

Advertisement