Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static Models (Cars/Military/Ships/Airplane/Diorama)

Options
  • 25-11-2004 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi all,

Firstly can I just say how nice it is to see an area on the web for Irish people to get together and chat about modelling whether it be RC,Train or Static. One thing that we seriously lack in Ireland is modelling clubs and most seem to be RC Planes so well done to whoever it was that got this section up and running.

Anyway onto my original idea for posting I was just wondering what the interest is in Static models in Ireland. It seems to me that the only decent model shop in Ireland is Marks which I have to say have great staff in my experience especially the store in Dublin city centre.

As for myself I built (all be it very slowly!!) race cars. Currently I am building a 99 Ford Focus WRC. I have partially built an Alfa 155 Jagermeister but the body painting process is causing some problems so I have decided to shelve it for the moment.

Anyway enough rambling anyone who is into Static models regardless of Genre I would love to see some of your work. I promise to post some of my own as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Hi Ciaran, I collect model cars of all scales, I'll attach some photos. Most of mine are modern but I started collecting absolute models on Ebay with a view to restoring them. I also bought the CD's to print my own replica boxes. It really is a great hobby which I have enjoyed all my life. Its great to see others interested in it as well. I have a lot of my stuff still in boxes but I'll attach the ones I have on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nice collection there Junkyard.
    Brings me back to my younger dayswhen I used to play with a lot of those particular ones you have :D

Thanks Vectra, I have loads more but there in storage. Hopefully over the Christmas holidays I'll break out and get some more photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Junkyard,

Nice collection, gotta love some of the old saloon cars. Well as promised all that time ago here are some of the plastic kits I have built.

Lotus Super 7
    LotusSuperSeven1.jpg
    LotusSuperSeven11.jpg
    LotusSuperSeven10.jpg
    LotusSuperSeven5.jpg

Ford Focus 1999 Rally of Great Britain
    FordFocus3.jpg
    FordFocus2.jpg
    FordFocus1.jpg

Subaru Impreza 1998 Monte Carlo Rally
    Scooby5.jpg
    Scooby6.jpg
    Scooby7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

those rally cars are really sweet,nice work!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Rally cars neat !
    Love the Lotus !

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I make 1/24 scale model trucks , i've built a few , but they take ages to make to a good standard & plenty of money ,as there not really a build out of the box job if you want a good model .There's a company in england who make a load of acessories ! I'm gone more into the 1/50 scale trucks as , your pop them outta of the box, and into the cabinet .
    Here's one i made from an italeri kit of my dad's volvo f-10 he owned in the 80's

volvo_f-10.jpg

i still have to put the reg on ! , i have a model 40' Refridgerated trailer for this which has yet to be completed .

I'll take a few more picture's of my 1/50 models and post them up if anyone wants .

Also - surely there's more truck modeler's out there, i know of a lad from kerry i was talking to at limerick truckshow , but that seems to be it .

Good thread !

John :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is the Irish Model Soldier Society not still a going concern? I used to be a part of that many moons ago.

They'd meet up first Thursday of the month at some random hotel, used to be Buswell's but last I had heard they had gone to another. Think it began with 'A'. Go North from O' Connell Bridge, take the first right, it's on your right.

Little competition, great pub quizes. Would be a shame if they've gone offline.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

I'll take a few more picture's of my 1/50 models and post them up if anyone wants .

heh heh course we always love to see other peoples work!!

those rally cars are really sweet,nice work!!
    coolwings wrote:
    Rally cars neat !
    Love the Lotus !

Cheers guys.

Irish-trucker,

Nice truck it looks good, would definately b interested in seeing more of your work. I know what you mean about time and money but for me I get more satisfaction from building and displaying a model rather the buying one in a box and sticking it on the shelf.

Ciaran

• Advertisement

Nice models everybody, the Lotus 7 is really nice Ciaran_Dub. Do you build the model trucks from scratch Irish-trucker ? It looks very well. I have recently started building up a circus and funfair collection and its building up nicely. I have most of the old Corgi models of Billy Smarts Circus and I have about 15 of the recent Corgi funfair models. I also bought the Days Gone tinplate circus tent and helterskelter. Corgi have a carousel which is motorized which I must buy next. I have a lot of trucks and vans mainly Corgi, Lledo, Matchbox and Dinky toys, some date back as far as 1938. I also have a large collection of breakdown trucks in different scales, but my favorites are my model hearses of which I have about 13, I couldn't believe my luck when I came across my first model hearse at a show in England about 8 years ago and then realized that there was a big interest in them if you knew where to go. 10 of the 13 I have are hand made and are a bit expensive but well worth it. I even have 2 real hearses in my classic car collection. Its a great hobby and there are so many different subjects that you can collect. Fire engines are another of my favorites, I have most of the Corgi fire hero's and the Del Prado models sold in the news agents and the usual Dinky, Matchbox and Corgi models. I only have one real fire engine, a 1961 Austin as storage is a big problem. It would be great to see anymore photos and keep collecting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Howyis Lads...
    I build cars, military, diorama...anything really...nice to see some Irish builders online!! Here`s a few pics of an F-15 I did a few months ago...

f-15 Side.JPG

f-15 cockpit top.JPG

f-15 front 1.JPG

f-15 rear 1.JPG

f-15 avionics.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Very nice Doktor, Thats the Tamiya 1/32 kit isn't it?

The Doktor wrote:
    Howyis Lads...
    I build cars, military, diorama...anything really...nice to see some Irish builders online!! Here`s a few pics of an F-15 I did a few months ago...

f-15 Side.JPG

f-15 cockpit top.JPG

f-15 front 1.JPG

f-15 rear 1.JPG

f-15 avionics.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

The Doktor wrote:
    Howyis Lads...

f-15 Side.JPG

f-15 cockpit top.JPG

f-15 front 1.JPG

f-15 rear 1.JPG

f-15 avionics.JPG
    That F-15 is a thing of beauty

Yeah, it`s the Tamiya 1/32 one (the "bunker buster" version), with a bit extra, including resin cockpit, an a few bits I done meself (lots of copper wire!!)

Very nice airbrush work. I am just getting into scale models, can you recommend a starter airbrush (not too expensive) I have a 25l air compressor in the garage, so with a water/oil trap should I be able to use this?

yeah, get urself the Aztek A470. It comes with lots of different bits including different paint pots, nozels etc. I use it for my main work. You can get em at www.hannants.co.uk, and the seem to be WAY cheaper than any i have seen for sale in Ireland. I also use a Tamiya HG superfine for detail work. But the Aztek one will do just fine.

The Doktor wrote:
    yeah, get urself the Aztek A470. It comes with lots of different bits including different paint pots, nozels etc. I use it for my main work. You can get em at www.hannants.co.uk, and the seem to be WAY cheaper than any i have seen for sale in Ireland. I also use a Tamiya HG superfine for detail work. But the Aztek one will do just fine.

Thanks Doktor, I'll try them. What do you think about my compresser (25l garage type). Is it suitable? I will have to add a water/oil trap.

That type of compressor is perfect! And if anyone tells ye that you must have one of the "airbrush compressors" its all rubbish. You are better off using a watertrap with it.. Also you need a regulator on it. I have a very similar type compressor myself, and find it totally fine. Anything else you need to know about Airbrush, paint, thinner.. etc just let me know. Ive been using airbrushes a very long time now for my models so have a fair bit of experience with em.
    and heres a link to the brush im talkin about http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=AZT4709

The Dokter,

Nice very nice work, great attention to detail.

Cmar

Have a look at this airbrush, http://www.dixieart.com/Badger_Crescendo_Model_175.htmlI paid 110 delivered from the US, its got 3 different needle sizes, a colour cup plue a couple of bottles also a braided air hose. Also it includes a manual/instruction guide. I have been using it for a while now, feels very sturdy in your hands, easy to clean and well worth the money. If you are using it for military model purposes then The Dokter might be able to tell you if its any good for it.

It really does amaze me at how many people in Ireland are into scale models, and all different varieties aswell, RC, static, auto, military, air, sea. Everything really seems to be catered for. It is a pity about the supplies into Ireland, but its good to see such a fantastic hobby is still living strong. the other pity is that there arent more clubs around Ireland! Just aswell for the net ;)

Ciaran

• Advertisement

Ciaran_Dub wrote:

Cmar

Have a look at this airbrush, http://www.dixieart.com/Badger_Crescendo_Model_175.htmlI paid 110 delivered from the US, its got 3 different needle sizes, a colour cup plue a couple of bottles also a braided air hose. Also it includes a manual/instruction guide. I have been using it for a while now, feels very sturdy in your hands, easy to clean and well worth the money. If you are using it for military model purposes then The Dokter might be able to tell you if its any good for it.

It really does amaze me at how many people in Ireland are into scale models, and all different varieties aswell, RC, static, auto, military, air, sea. Everything really seems to be catered for. It is a pity about the supplies into Ireland, but its good to see such a fantastic hobby is still living strong. the other pity is that there arent more clubs around Ireland! Just aswell for the net ;)

Ciaran

Thanks for the link Ciaran. I am new to the airbrush thing, but I would have thought gravity feed brushes would be easier to use and more importantly clean. Correct me if I'm wrong though ;)
    What I would like is a good guide to using a dual action, plus a guide for thinning paint (and which paint to use!)
    I plan to build car models, and maybe try some military. I've been snooping around a few scale auto forums, and some of the guys on there are unreal for the levels of detail. A lot of them add extra detail using whatever they have, wire, alloys etc (like the Doktor did on the F-15

I would like to think that with some time and patience I could get close to that level???

Anyway, any help or guidance appreciated!!!

Cheers
    Ciaran

I have always found the suction type airbrush a bit of a pain to clean alright.. but saying that, they are handy when doing large areas, like the body of a car. My main brush (tamiya) has a very small cup, which is great for cleaning, as i change my colours alot, no matter what kind of model i am doing (I try and paint as much as i can with it).
    As regarding using the dual action.. its a whole lot easier than you might imagine. Just practise for a bit on a piece of paper.
    Now, as for paint. Personally I mainly use the Tamiya X and XF series (the 10ml jars). But i do use others too. I find the Tamiya series great for the airbrush. If you decide to use them, one tip .. Use the Tamiya thinner!! (which also means you can use water for cleaning). For thinning ratios.. It depends what your painting really. The only way to really find out is to experiment.
    Ill try and get a few pics of other stuff up, to see what yis think. Most of my stuff is in storage at the min, movin house an all...
    I like doing military the best, cos I think makin a Tiger look bashed up and worn is more fun. But sayin that, Ive done a few rally cars lately, built on a base as though driving looking nice and mucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Hey,
    New to this fourm so Ill say hello, found ye by accident-coming from the diving fourm. Been modelling since as long as I can remember & I've built most kinda models, RC boats, RC Planes, RC Cars and static but now I've found that 1/35th military modelling it where its at for me.

Probally like ye, my house is full of models, in every corner built/half-built etc, as I said Im over from the diving fourm and so Im usually at that so modelling is kinda a winter or bad weather thing for me, when I cant dive!

I look forward to shearing my work with ye and getting yere advise.

All the best,
    Ian

found this pic of a ford focus i did last year...what yis think?
    Focus.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

That's Savage , did you make up the diorama yourself :D

I'd love to make a truck diorama some day , in either 1.24 or 1.50 scale

John ;)

yep, did it meself....
    A truck diorama could be fun alright... Maybe have it in a workshop, being worked on, or resprayed? good way to show off the detail...

The Doktor wrote:
    found this pic of a ford focus i did last year...what yis think?
    Focus.JPG

The focus looks great Doc, but I think it would look more realistic with the wheels dropped down out of the arches, like it would be if you were flying over a crest :eek:

yeah, i thought that meself... but before i build a model, i kinda decide what setting i would like it in.. then i go off and get some pics to get some info.
    say for example... exactly how dirty does a car get in the monte carlo rally? or what position do the wheels need to be in.. etc..
    The only pic i could find of the focus in the air... the wheels looked like it does in the model.. they are dropped just a TINY bit however.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Its hard to find places that sell stuff tbh.
    Does anyone know if Marks Models in the industrial estate near rathcoole is a store or just a warehouse?

• Advertisement

I know what u mean! If you want photoetch stuff or resin, its hard to get. Also decent paints etc are hard to come by. The internet is a wonderful thing though!! Ive got so much great stuff since i started buying online...

Advertisement