Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debate

• 25-11-2004 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

what the ... pro wrestling ireland? .... wha ... who ... i ..... i...... does anyone care? ..... it is not a load of loud americans play acting ..... where is the entertainment ....... i'm shocked there is even a forum to be honest. Irish wrestling? is there such a thing? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

An obnoxious GAA fan! Nothing new there. Considering that's a sport where they dunno if they're playing rugby, or basketball or just dancing around like faries!

muppet, obviously watched too many crappy GAA matches. If you've nothing constructive to say then keep your trap shut.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

ooo dont call me muppet, no, no, dont! :rolleyes:

Seriously I am truely blown away that anyone cares about it, I always thought wrestling was proof that you could stick any old cr@p on tv and children would watch it. Am I not in the frequently asked questions section? presumably from your [over the top] response I've asked a frequently enough asked question. No need to be so defensive, go on tell me what is the attraction is in watching a bunch of scantily clad, musscle bound, hyped up Americans shout their badly written script at each other, what is the attraction to a series of choreographed stunts exactly? I dont get it, educate me, no really, I am interested.

For your information Gaelic football, is not a cross between rugby and basketball, it has been played here longer then rugby and far far longer then basketball has existed. I realise you seem to be obsessed with America culture but try not to flaunt your ignorance of ours.

PS if you think they are 'dancing around like faries' i suggest you try a game.

Maybe i am on the wrong site but this is an Irish chat forum like yea? I dont mean exclusively Irish but to have someone having a go at Gaelic football in defense of professional wrestling seems more then a little strange. The power of TV EH!

Anyways, despite my 'muppet' calling friends response above [watching too much WWF if you ask me] My original questions still stand. What is the entertainment value? You all know it is fixed right, so it is a soap opera type laugh or what? And another of my original questions I think is still valid as well ... Irish wrestling? is there such a thing? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

DUB wrote:
    And another of my original questions I think is still valid as well ... Irish wrestling? is there such a thing? :confused:

If you bothered to read the faq you would see:
    bombidol wrote:
    Q: Are there "Indy" Shows in Ireland as well as the big WWE Shows?

A: Yes there are, NWA Ireland promote semi regular shows all over the place, with talent from Ireland and The UK as well as students from their training school
    IwW have started running shows recently with students from their training scholl also. Again both of these promotions have links on the main forum
    From time to time other promotions pop up running shows, you will always find out about them here at boards.ie

Google is your friend if you want to find out more. If you don't like wrestling don't visit the forum to slag it off.

If you don't like wrestling don't visit the forum to slag it off.

Jaysis a sense of humour could be needed down in the WWWf dept. I saw the FAQ alright but it is not exactly crystal clear is it?

Okay I suppose that above is fair enough comment, my initial query was an honest reaction to something I didn't expect to see during a bit of browsing on an Irish forum, you do all remember youse are Irish right? I still don't understand but there you go. I have no idea what the attraction is, but I'll leave youse in peace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

DUB wrote:
    Jaysis a sense of humour could be needed down in the WWWf dept. I saw the FAQ alright but it is not exactly crystal clear is it?

Okay I suppose that above is fair enough comment, my initial query was an honest reaction to something I didn't expect to see during a bit of browsing on an Irish forum, you do all remember youse are Irish right? I still don't understand but there you go. I have no idea what the attraction is, but I'll leave youse in peace!

DUB

The problem is if you bothered to search this forum you will see your question has been debated to death.

DUB, I've read your all your posts (there was nothing on the TV and i got tired of talking to the wino's so i read your postings), every one of them bar around 3 or 4 are on the GAA one except for the ones here and the ones on the Rugby. One of them says lets not get into what sport is better, then you go here and blast wrestling.

But hypocritical really dontcha think?
    And yeah, we know Wrestling WWE style (it changed it's name a couple of years back, showing your ignorance) isn't a sport, but the mat olympic style actually is, and there are some WWE guys who trained that way before going the sports entertainment route. So that keeps it in the sports catagory,

The point is, if we were all going over to GAA board and shoving opinons down your throat saying GAA is pointless and that they're just a bunch of whiners who complain about not getting money for their efforts and all the cash goes into Croke Park, you'd be right down our throats as well!

As i said, if you've nothing constructive to say, then don't say it. It's pretty much defined in the charter anyway.

VR!

validreasoning, i'm only here a few days, i started in the GAA section and now i'm spreading out, a bit like a weed ;)

I never really said lets not get into what sport is better i said having played both that one field sport is not massively more fun to play then another, which is what someone was suggesting.

okay fair enough, roman-greek wrestling, the schools in ireland are in that code then that makes more sense, I had visions of them teaching people how to roar into the camera and hit someone over the back of the head with a chair :o roman-greek wrestling i can understand, in the sport section, okay fair enough.

fair comment about the critisism, although it was ment tounge firmly in cheek. I suppose if you get a steady stream of people in its doing the same it gets very annoying. apologies.

Having said all that the WWF sold out the point recently did they?

Sold out The point depot that is, that wasnt another dig ;)

DUB wrote:
    Sold out The point depot that is, that wasnt another dig ;)
    2 nights in 25 minutes combined time baby! :)
    VR!

• Advertisement

DUB wrote:
    I had visions of them teaching people how to roar into the camera and hit someone over the back of the head with a chair :o roman-greek wrestling i can understand, in the sport section, okay fair enough.

Nah, there are basic tricks of the trade ya gotta learn before ya start bringing furniture into the equation. That sort of stuff can be done and all you'll feel is a sting. Ask any of the IWW lads that got launched over the top rope and into a table on the outside, or NWA's Paddy Morrow how many times he can get thrown into a concrete wall before he coughs up blood. A solid bump can be pulled off with little or no scratches, as long as one knows how to take them, and the only way to do that is to attend a wrestling training school.

Those who don't are known as Backyard Wrestlers, who in general, give Pro Wrestling a bad name due to the documentaries about these clowns who stack furniture out their back garden or a nearby field, get a mate with a camcorder and go for it, not having a clue what they're doing!

But even with the appropriate training, accidents happen in any contact evironment. What was the deal with the hurling guy who died right on the field? It's just the nature of the beast.

Personally i'm into wrestling for the technical end of it, and used to be for the storylines, but lately, they've been muck as they were written by retards. But you ask any wrestling fan what the recent storylines of Smackdown or RAW have been like, and they'll admit they're crap anyway! ;)
    (they would admit it if they were in their right mind anyway!)

VR!

Sold out 2 nights, bloomin heck! :eek: :D

Ah it is definatly skilled, you cant throw men that size around without knowing what you are both doing, well if you don't it'd be very very dangerious. That hurler died of health problems bless him, i dont think he was struck or anythig. I'm not having a go like but I think it's the panto element that puts me off, 'and hogans on the ropes ... oh hes comming bac'k etc. you know what i mean?

What's the story with it in England, I remember Big Daddy and Giant haystacks, aparently belting the jaysis out of each other, were they going at each other for real? was that their names?

DUB wrote:
    I'm not having a go like but I think it's the panto element that puts me off, 'and hogans on the ropes ... oh hes comming bac'k etc. you know what i mean?

What's the story with it in England, I remember Big Daddy and Giant haystacks, aparently belting the jaysis out of each other, were they going at each other for real? was that their names?

To be fair, it hasn't been that cartoonish in a long time, but it seems to be worming it's way back in with gimmick wrestlers. Not a good sign.

A lot of English wrestling was very stiff back then from what i can recall, i read Tom Billington's book a while back (He was Dynamite Kid, one half of the British Bulldogs), and he'd mentioned he'd taken a whipping from a number of them. But thats how it was.

Big Daddy's real name was Shirley Crabtree, explaining the name change ;)
    Haystacks real name was Luke McMasters.

Maybe this should be split as it's not really related to the FAQ :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

DUB wrote:
    Maybe i am on the wrong site but this is an Irish chat forum like yea? I dont mean exclusively Irish but to have someone having a go at Gaelic football in defense of professional wrestling seems more then a little strange. The power of TV EH!

Anyways, despite my 'muppet' calling friends response above [watching too much WWF if you ask me] My original questions still stand. What is the entertainment value? You all know it is fixed right, so it is a soap opera type laugh or what? And another of my original questions I think is still valid as well ... Irish wrestling? is there such a thing? :confused:

Of course we know its fixed!?...Whats the entertainment of Dream Team?

You actually get more T&A in WWE then dream team, the acting is on par becuase both shows suck on acting talent but in WWE you get men sacrificing their lives to entertain you and in some cases you actually get a display of real talent such as cruiser weights or more Amatuer based wrestler or even the Martial Arts Experts, I was watching Enter The Dragon last night and thought it was great so maybe its only a certain breed of us that like to see "combat" as entertainment. Also Wrestling is scripted but for a large part what they do is very real, chair shots=real, Mick Foley=real...or do yourself a favour and watch a Mick Foley match preferably Hell in a Cell v Undertaker, he was a massacist but it didn't really take away from the sacrifice he made just to entertain us.

Of course we know its fixed!?...Whats the entertainment of Dream Team?

Your comparing it to a soap opera ... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lads, why are ye even entertaining this fool? He is a wind up. let him enjoy his GAH. :mad:

DUB wrote:
    Your comparing it to a soap opera ... :eek:
    There's a reason why he's doing that, if you watched it for an hour some weekend, you'd understand why ;)

VR!

Ah Gimmick will ye relax. I was originally on the wind up, well taking the piss really, but it was ment as just that taking the piss not having a go. i have apologised for that and now we're having a perfectly civil conversation. I will enjoy my 'GAH', thanks.

Anyway I have no idea what the appeal of dream team is, there are some good looking birds/blokes in it? So its fair enough to say the appeal can be likened to a soap opera? then enjoyment comes from the storylines and what would happen if characters from the storylines have a scrap? A bit like the mitchels from eastenders, falling out in a big way? I know this is basic stuff but I'm just trying to work it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Dream Team is terrible end of story.

The problem with convincing non fans that wrestling is good is that the business is too cyclical. I barely watch RAW/Smackdown these days because the quality of the writing seems to have gone to hell. That and Christian not getting a decent push.

Anyway trying to convince a non-fan to watch while JBL is champ and HHH spends about twenty minutes trying to convince Maven to join Evolution is not going to work it not entertaining.

Even the botched InVasion is more entertaining the shows now.

(I saw HHH talk to Maven on the highlight show The bottom line it seemed to go on for ever)

• Advertisement

Are you pineing for the good old days? :D

Unit00 wrote:
    Even the botched InVasion is more entertaining the shows now.

(I saw HHH talk to Maven on the highlight show The bottom line it seemed to go on for ever)

I'd still rather watch HHH and Maven babbling than watching DDP job to Sara Calloway.

And i'm not pining for the good ol days, i've access to a classic WWE collection whenever i need my fix.

VR!

They have a huge oppurtunity to actually shock the fans this Monday could you imagine one of the jobbers winning the title, Stevie Richards for the WWE title....I know his impromptu match against Tomko was utter garbage but I'll forgive him

They have a huge oppurtunity to actually shock the fans this Monday could you imagine one of the jobbers winning the title, Stevie Richards for the WWE title....I know his impromptu match against Tomko was utter garbage but I'll forgive him

Hey, they gave Benoit the big one. As much as i like Benoit, he spent most of 2003 jobbing to the likes as low as A-Train! Although i really wish they'd do something decent with Stevie Richards!! :(

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Stuff like that will never happen, because it would actually mean the WWE trying something new and exciting, trying to get the fans riled up and shocked over who would win the title - its going to be predictable as hell on tonight's RAW

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Stuff like that will never happen, because it would actually mean the WWE trying something new and exciting, trying to get the fans riled up and shocked over who would win the title - its going to be predictable as hell on tonight's RAW

And even then, it can only last so long, and JBL is a classic example, throwing the belt on him shocked a lot of people, but after 2 months, it got predictable again.

VR!

Yeah, I'm a lil sick of it myself now, I understand years ago when Yokozuna had the title for what felt like a decade you'd get fed up but you'd also be watching to see if he'd finally lose it and when he did it made it that lil bit better only they've done that so much with the likes of The Rock and HHH that its gotten annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Whats even worse is that if anybody does get the belt off HHH, its only for about 12 seconds until the bastard gets it back again!! If he loses it tonight he'll have it back by New Year’s Revolution or whatever the next RAW PPV is.

DAMN YOU WWE...................

Well I actually like HHH I can't really see anyone else to carry the belt except maybe Shawn Micheals or a great one which alot of people wouldn't like is Edge I think so far what he's done as a heel has been feckin great haven't had a heel as brass as him in a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Edges heel work is nothing compared to Christians heel work. It wrecks my head that Edge gets pushed over Christian.

I'd disagree there, we just haven't seen Edge's heel work in so long. Edge just comes across as evil and can be portrayed as a legit headcase, Christian's is either a whiny temper tantrum throwing little sh*t or else a sleaze king. Either way i didn't buy it.

Sticking him alongside DDP and Tyson Tomko and Trish didn't help either.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I'd disagree there, we just haven't seen Edge's heel work in so long. Edge just comes across as evil and can be portrayed as a legit headcase, Christian's is either a whiny temper tantrum throwing little sh*t or else a sleaze king. Either way i didn't buy it.

Sticking him alongside DDP and Tyson Tomko and Trish didn't help either.
    VR!

Totally agree, I think pushing the angle with Edge acting psychotic for not getting a title shot could be quite entertaining. Think its the look in his eyes that marks me out.

Christian is friggin great, he's long been a favourite of mine though if you actually look at them in the context of Bret and Owen..He's the Owen....even the way he acts he's exactly like Owen the goofy heel, Christian is a great wrestler too though does anyone else notice that when he's in really intense matches i.e TLC at the end of them he looks awful pale like he's sh!ttin a brick or somethin

Christian is friggin great, he's long been a favourite of mine though if you actually look at them in the context of Bret and Owen..He's the Owen....

Nail on head, as a direct result, Christian will always be stuck in the shadow. He'll be midcard for life becasue as great as he is in the ring, charisma wise, he's just missing that little something to get him over as a main event player. Edge has improved significantly since recovering from injury in recent weeks since his heel turn, granted it took him a few months to get back into the swing of things.

But these things take time, look at Michaels' comeback. Yeah he had a great match at Summerslam 2002 a lot after that for the best part of the year was meaningless crap. Series 2002 meant nothing because he was one of the last in the chamber, Armageddon 2002 bored a lot of people to tears, then we had the buildup to Jericho which was good. Thats one good match in six months.

Getting back to point, when you come back from injury, it takes a few months before you hit your stride again, Lita should take note of this because she's been useless since she came back and is still useless. Edge is showing improvement again and hence getting the heel push, Christian is... erm... same old Christian.

VR!

Advertisement