Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!, Buying DVD Recorder

Options
  • 25-11-2004 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a decent DVD Recorder. Just wondering what to lookout for or avoid when buying one of these?

Just spotted a Currys leaflet with a:

Liteon DVD Recorder, DVD+R/DVD+RW recording, 6 hours recording capacity, DV link input, Remote control. €229.99

Philips DVD Recorder, DVD+RW/+R recorder, Plays MP3, JPEG picture CD's, Up to 8 hours recording, RGB input for quality recording, Video editing functions. €299.99

Are these any good or should I go for a better model?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

theres a philips dvd recorder for sale in xtra vision for 299 and ive heard excellent things about it(think its the same as the 1 you mentioned)

id stay well away from lite on ,i had a bad experience wit on of there dvd rw drives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

Just bought the Philips one this evening and it is the Dog's Testicals. F**king fantastic picture when plugged into S-Video.

I'm still reading the manual and still on a buzz after learning to use it.

GET ONE , YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

theres one in aldi next week for 229 yoyo;s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Panasonic E55 seems to be the boy. Major problems with Philips I believe. Also Philips does not record to DVD-R so there could be compatibility problems with domestic players. Lots of info here .

Have a look under DVD Recorders and Media. Also check the thread on Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

masto1983 wrote:
    Liteon DVD Recorder, DVD+R/DVD+RW recording, 6 hours recording capacity, DV link input, Remote control. €229.99

I think this is in Argos for 199 now. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204876 for details. There's some good forums out there for advice. In the past there have been so many bad posts about the long term reliablity of Philips recorders that I'd find it hard to pay €299 for one. IIRC the Liteon recorders record in both +&- formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Valentia wrote:
    Panasonic E55 seems to be the boy. Major problems with Philips I believe. Also Philips does not record to DVD-R so there could be compatibility problems with domestic players. Lots of info here .

Have a look under DVD Recorders and Media. Also check the thread on Philips.

There is very little difference between - and + for compatibility with players.

I have had a Philips recorder for almost a year now with no problems.

TBH I cannot say which are best, there are alot of people that see huge differences in quality between one or another format but they all sound very biased to me.

At the time I bought one Richer sounds in Belfast were far cheaper than anywhere here, even including the drive from Dublin.

At the time I bought one Richer sounds in Belfast were far cheaper than anywhere here

I just ordered the Panasonic from them today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Valentia wrote:
    I just ordered the Panasonic from them today :D

Did you order the E55? Mind me asking how much?

SteM wrote:
    Did you order the E55? Mind me asking how much?

€329.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Play don't ship hardware to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Mea culpa.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi folks,

John Mc From Richer Belfast - DVD recorders really are a bit of a minefield ok! But there are some good ones around - the budget ones unbranded ones are mostly okay but generally suffer quirky issues - we feel it's probably best to stick with the branded DVDR's like Pioneer/Philips/Panasonic - you also ahve to be carefull that the recorder is UHF/VHF so it will work in The South of Ireland as well as the north - especially if you are importing it from the UK. Most Panasonic DVDR's purchased in the UK are for UK use only - if any of you are interested we have the Panasonic DMRE55 at £229.95 (about €340) or the Pioneer DVDR220 at £200 (about €290) or the Philips Shop on The corner of Dame and Georges street have the new Philips DVDR610 at €289 - The Panasonic and the Pioneer are both Multi region too - you can acll the store on (01) 671 9666 - it will redirect to Belfast - tell the John Mc gave you the info and they (may) give you a better deal!

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

The Panasonic arrived today. Up and running in no time. I'm making a copy of our recent drama production as I write. It's worth pointing out that if you live down the country and don't have cable then the UK version is all you need. Great service from Richer Sounds John!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Valentia wrote:
    The Panasonic arrived today. Up and running in no time. I'm making a copy of our recent drama production as I write. It's worth pointing out that if you live down the country and don't have cable then the UK version is all you need. Great service from Richer Sounds John!

If you have cable your screwed then.
    Xtravision have a tasty Sony GX3 model which by all accounts is a great player for 369 yoyo plus 5 free discs and 100 yoyo worth of rental vouchers. They are hard to come by though. My local store only got 1 player with another coming in tomorrow. By the way the exact same player was being sold in my local tv/video store for 500 and they were boasting that it was reduced. The cheek of those robbers lol :)

Advertisement