Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor's fee for completing mortgage

Options
  • 25-11-2004 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I paid off my mortage over three years ago and it has taken until now - being fobbed off by my solicitor with excuse after excuse - to get the final paperwork completed. He hasn't passed the deeds to me yet. My solicitor is charging me Euro450 in fees (which does not include the Land Registry fees). It seems an excessive sum to me for what must have been a few standard letters to the bank and the Land Registry, leaving aside the fact that it's taken him over three years to do it. Does anyone know what the average cost for this service is? Can he hold on to the deeds until I pay what he asks? If he refuses to reduce his fee and I have to pay the full amount, I intend to write to the appropriate body to complain. In the meantime, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write him a formal letter. Keep short and to the point - you want X documents within Y time. Demand performance within say 1 month and demand to be updated. If come 15 December you have no udpate, phone and ask for an update. If come 2 January you have no response, write another letter and send it registered, saying if you don't have an update within 7 days, that you will be employing another solicitor and will be considering a complaint to the Law Society

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

law society are fantastic in helping with complaints , they will even give a bit of impartial advice if you ask nicely , although when I was dealing with them it was all done via postal mail. which although a bit slow still works.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Horeb

Have you tried the Credit Union Solution for Home Buyer Fee's

Advertisement