Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I get this made?

Options
  • 25-11-2004 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for someone who can knock me up a simple custom toolrest thingamajig for my woodturning lathe. All it is is a 4" piece of 1" mild steel round bar welded to the bottom of a piece of 32mm or thereabouts RSA, and some holes drilled, that's all.

I'm not sure where to begin looking ... the Golden Pages didn't turn up anybody which looked likely. I'm in Bray, so anywhere near there would do.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chippie

hello
    find a fitter who workes in a factory these guys can do anything with metal maybe motor mechanic might do .So go for a pint and get talking to some one there must be some one .best of luck if u lived beside me i would have no problem getting u the right man

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

Heya,
    there's a welder in applewood heights in Greystones. If you go up the main hill in Applewood his house is half way up on the corner with a big sign hanging off the side gate. Rodney is his name I think.
    He put together brackets for me to hang a hammock off rafters.

HTH

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Alun wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking for someone who can knock me up a simple custom toolrest thingamajig for my woodturning lathe. All it is is a 4" piece of 1" mild steel round bar welded to the bottom of a piece of 32mm or thereabouts RSA, and some holes drilled, that's all.

I'm not sure where to begin looking ... the Golden Pages didn't turn up anybody which looked likely. I'm in Bray, so anywhere near there would do.

Any ideas?
    Hi
    Where are u based

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I am a woodturner also --
    would it not be cheaper and easier to make it out of timber.

Is it a tool-rack that you are making???

Explain a bit more what it is for first

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    Where are u based

Bray, as I said in my original post :)

• Advertisement

karltimber wrote:
    I am a woodturner also -- would it not be cheaper and easier to make it out of timber.

Is it a tool-rack that you are making???

Explain a bit more what it is for first

What I'm thinking of is a kind of universal jig holder, you know the kind of thing, for holding a drill or router. The idea was that I'd mount this in the banjo in place of the toolrest, and then bolt whatever jig I wanted to use (probably made of wood) to it.

I could, of course, make up something out of wood that also slid up and down the lathe bed in the same way as the banjo does, but I thought this would be a more elegant solution. In addition to that, although I'm a woodturner, I'm not really a woodworker and haven't got much in the way of woodworking tools, so making somethink like that wouldn't be that easy for me.

I got the idea from here BTW ... http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip37.htm

Milkman wrote:
    Heya,
    there's a welder in applewood heights in Greystones. If you go up the main hill in Applewood his house is half way up on the corner with a big sign hanging off the side gate. Rodney is his name I think.
    He put together brackets for me to hang a hammock off rafters.

Thanks, I know Applewood Heights well, but I've never noticed the sign ... I'll check that out, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Alun wrote:
    Bray, as I said in my original post :)
    I have a friend that will do it for you he lives in ballinteer pm me if you want and i will give you his number

Carpenter wrote:
    I have a friend that will do it for you he lives in ballinteer pm me if you want and i will give you his number
    Thanks ... I'll try the guy in Greystones another poster mentioned first, he's a bit closer. If I get no luck there, I'll get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 waggette

I am actually looking for a woodturner who could whip up a mahogany plinth for me for a perpetual trophy ASAP - any ideas??
    Dimensions of plinth - 12" x 6" x 3" approx
    I'm in the south dublin area
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Not sure what to make of those dimensions. If it's going to be turned base you're talking about diameter and height, i.e. 2 dimensions. We woodturners have difficulty turning rectangular items :)

Advertisement