Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exchange rate question

Options
  • 25-11-2004 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I think the sterling to euro rate at the moment is about 68-69p to the €.The thing is when I bought something for £20 it worked out at €28 something. The thing I cant understand is, it will cost you €1.32 aprox to get £1 so x that 20 and I should only be charged €26.40. Yet checking it through Paypal/ my cc it comes out about the same as the higher figure €28. What am I missing as I dont think either of these two charge anything on top of what ever rate they give

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

68-69 might be the offical rate, but the consumer rate is higher, today it was .7095 to the euro in BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Could well believe it Nuttzz,but what I am trying to figure out where I am going wrong with my calc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

the official rate may be 0.69 but commercial banks make money on fx by using a spread ie sell at high price, buy at low price

so you "buy" £20 but they charge you 0.68 (less £ for your €)
    if you sell it back to them they will charge you .70 (more £ for €)

in this example the £20 costs €29.41
    if you sell them back the £20 note @ .70 you will only get €28.57

hope that helps

Advertisement