Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Connection Problems...

• 25-11-2004 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been using EsatBT for the last month or so and so far I am not very pleased with the service. I am having constant problems (and I really dont know why)

For starters every so often my connection drops. All incoming and outgoing connections just come to a halt. This appears to happen randomly and, in turn has kept me from playing online games (which EsatBT is apparently great for).
    I had a feeling that maybe the reason was/is to do with the the firewall because by default all ports are closed. So, I opened needed ports and my applications that I used work fine, except of course the connection still drops randomly.

On a similar note I use Trillian 3, an Instant Messenger Client. With it I am connected to ICQ/AIM and MSN. For some unknown reason connections with MSN are random. Occasionally some people can message me, but on other occasions I need to initiate a chat in order to be able to speak to people. This can be an awful pain as a lot of the people I know use MSN. ICQ and AIM work fine however. I thought that maybe this had something to do with PING being disabled in the Router Config, but no changes once PING was allowed.

And so I have a terrible predicament and unless I can resolve this there really is no point in me keeping EsatBT Broadband :-/ (Which by the way I really would like to for the low pings).

Can anyone please help me? Have you similar problems? Any ideas to fix this? Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I got the IOL broadband, which AFAIK is Esat/BT too.
    Installed in June, working perfectly since.

But then my brother got it installed a couple of months ago and had all kinds of connection problems.

Turned out it was the 274 viruses & spyware programs he had on his system were responsible.

AVG + AdAware + Spybot might fix your problem.
    No one of the three finds everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

As Gurgle said that seems to be the case.
    If the problem is your line or connection then the DSL light would mainly go out.
    If this is the case you need to call Tech support and report the problem.

If you run the afore mentioned programs and still have problems please feel free to call in to myself or any other representative in Tech Support and get them to check for disconnections. But i reckon the porblem lies on your system and changing provider will not help your cause.

Pm me if you need a name and number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Interesting, recently I've been having the EXACT same problems ... and it's almost always while connected to a game server

Adaware is doing it's thing at the moment, so lets see what that reports.

I'd be interested if you found a solution to this problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Well I have made an interesting discovery which fixed my initial problem. But, before I mention that I havent had a virus/any piece of spyware on my PC in WELL OVER 6 months. I'm big into PC optimization and that is definitly not the problem :D (i used "Firefox" back when it was Phoenix!! :))

Anyway, regarding my connection just "dropping", turns out the problem was I had a regular telephone splitter going into the phone port on the DSL splitter that comes with the modem. I did that because I have two phones in my house and they both come from one "hole in the wall" so to speak. So, my two phones worked and my BB, however when ever a phone call was made (and maybe even when a call wasnt made) the connection would just drop. Kind of strange. For now I only have one working phone, so I need to find a work around for that! hehe.

As for my MSN problem regarding not be able to get connections from people, I'm still not certain as to what's causing that :-/

Advertisement