Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ration Books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

omnicorp wrote:
    Ration Books.
    This would ensure that the even the poorest people are entitled to good, healthy food and decent clothes.

I don't think that the idea of "healty food" etc is workable.
    Who would decide and enforce the food/clothes you buy, far too much administration on that. :(
    The idea of food stamps sounds good:)
    Didn't we have that before?

Dabhal

Why isn't vat removed on fresh fruit and veg?
    Hareny has banging on about taxing fast food a while ago then surely removing it on the staple foods would not only benifit health but the poverty suitation aswell.

Dabhal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've been screaming for that for months dabhal...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

dabhal wrote:
    I don't think that the idea of "healty food" etc is workable.
    Who would decide and enforce the food/clothes you buy, far too much administration on that. :(
    The idea of food stamps sounds good:)
    Didn't we have that before?

Dabhal

butter vouchers if i recall correctly,

then there was intervention beef but you only got that once or twice a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

dabhal wrote:
    Hareny has banging on about taxing fast food a while ago then surely removing it on the staple foods would not only benifit health but the poverty suitation aswell.

Dabhal
    Ah, you've made the classic mistake of mis-understanding the purpose of government.
    They are there to make sure that bad things are very expensive, not to make good things cheap. They can put extra taxes on ciggies, beer, cars (we should all be using the wonderfull public transport network), chewing gum, fattening food and all the other bad things.

We don't, on the other hand, need a reduction in the price of good things. We should choose to eat/do them because they're good for us.
    butter vouchers if i recall correctly
    lol, yes, I do recall buying cigarettes with butter vouchers. And I was never on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dabhal wrote:
    I don't think there is VAT on food (there is VAT on hot food, restaurant meals, chocolate, sweets and a few others)

Victor wrote:
    I don't think there is VAT on food (there is VAT on hot food, restaurant meals, chocolate, sweets and a few others)

Ok I'll just shut up now, you are right :eek: Hate it when I'm wrong, I feel so dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

O what brill ideas, why no go all the way and paint yellow stars on the old the sick, the poor etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

uberwolf wrote:
    so what half of us reproduce and the other half support us?
    If you have a child you're responsible for it.
    Hey, good idea.
    Maybe we should decide based on gender, the women can stay home and have kids and the men go to work to support them.

Thats never been tried before has it?
    uberwolf wrote:
    If you need help teh state steps in.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Advertisement