Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over 21's

• 25-11-2004 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Im sorry if this has been brought up before or even if im in the wrong forum but....

whats the story with certain bars and clubs being over 21? The legal age to drink is 18 so y should there be any difference in different places...

i'm just wondering because one of my local and recently put up a sign sayin over 21's and when i went down to the other one the bouncer said it was over 21's aswell...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

18 is th elegal age that a person is allowed to drink yes, but a licensed premises has the choice to limit the age of their patrons to a higher limit should they wish. All they have to do is have it prominently displayed.

Management reserves the right to refuse, and all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

trust me lol this topic has been raised here ,illions of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

so theres nothing i can do only to wait a yr or 2... ah well thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Alot of the reason why pubs/clubs have over 21s is to keep away 16/17 y/os away from even bothering to try get in.

AFAIK, a club CANNOT discriminate on age grounds anymore. I believe its a civil rights thing, but bouncers, sorry - doormen being what they are, and what they are told to do by their employers is keep out u21s by saying they have had too much, wrong dress code etc.

Personally I reckon its a pain, not that it affects me anymore, but some of the pubs in Cork with the best athmosphere are the ones with no age restrictions, ie Brog, Quad, Gateway, Bodega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AFAIK, a club CANNOT discriminate on age grounds anymore. I believe its a civil rights thing, but bouncers, sorry - doormen being what they are, and what they are told to do by their employers is keep out u21s by saying they have had too much, wrong dress code etc.

There was a period soon after the current Equality leglislation is passed where it was illegal for pubs to put a lower age limit on getting in but publiclans lobbied to have it changed and so it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stark wrote:
    There was a period soon after the current Equality leglislation is passed where it was illegal for pubs to put a lower age limit on getting in but publiclans lobbied to have it changed and so it was.
    *Nods* I think they need to state clearly their age policy. The way the equality act would work is if that their stated age limit must apply to everyone - so they couldn't, for example, let some 20 year old and not let in any others. But they can stop all peope under 21 (or 26 or whatever they desire) as long it's done for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I remeber reading a guy got 16 grand compensation off a pub for age discrimination.. same deal, he was 19 or so.. and it was an over 23's policy. Take em to court, pubs clubs etc get away with way too much crap as regards who they let in. For example.. I heard before .. never mind dress code you cannot come in with runners.. because it's a fire hazard.. to be perfectly honest.. I'd rather be going down a stairs if there was a fire behind a guy in runners than some chick in six inch heels. Ya can buy a pair of shoes in Dunnes for less than 20 euro.. what's a pair of Nike cost on averege. ****ing no neck ****s.

Mind you... I'm drunk as hell.
    Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Don't wish away two years to gain the priviledge of giving some publican way too much money to stand in his boring establishment. They're all the same. Take your custom elsewhere.

(Does that make sense? my sentence construction is all screwed up from doing the A-Z challenge.)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Right. The Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2003 contains an ammendment to the Equality Act of 2003, contained in Section 25 that URL=http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=243&docID=1554]Dept. of Taoiseach site[/URL
    will safeguard the discretion of licensees in relation to presence of persons under 18 in bars of licensed premises and will permit a licensee to set a minimum age for the sale and consumption of intoxicating liquor which is above the statutory minimum of 18
    There ya go. They can make it over 25 if they want... (read the full bill here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

ixoy wrote:
    Right. The Intoxicating Liquor Act of 2003 contains an ammendment to the Equality Act of 2003, contained in Section 25 that URL=http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=243&docID=1554]Dept. of Taoiseach site[/URL

There ya go. They can make it over 25 if they want... (read the full bill here).
    If they did think there would be civil war..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

If you think about it, it really shouldn't be legal, as its purely discrimination without a doubt. Its like saying no english people and having to produce an Irish birth cert to verify it.

Management can refuse admission, fair enough, but to blanketly refuse admission based purely on a factor that the person has no control over is discrimination.

At least they are checking up on pubs and clubs now. When I was 20 - 21 I would wander around for half an hour looking for somewhere to go.

Over 25's lads (even when there were 17 yr old girls I knew inside)
    Locals only tonight
    Need Black shoes
    We're full tonight
    Private function
    No sport tops (I was wearing a NZ black rugby jumper with a small thing in the corner)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

it just doesnt have the same effect :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

at least let the women in who are 18+, thats only right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paperclip wrote:
    at least let the women in who are 18+, thats only right.
    That, of course, would be discriminating on the gender ground.

Advertisement