Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP and RAM settings

• 26-11-2004 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi. This is probably a really easy question to answer so sorry if I appear stupid. I have a laptop with Windows XP and 256 RAM. Or at least, it SHOULD be 256. But it's not. It's 192. In some places (like during start up) it says i've got 256, in other places like the Control Panel and msinfo it says 192. What gives? I figure XP has stolen some of it to use it for something, but it seems to mean that I can't frickin' run games that require 256 minimum. Is there anything I can do short of buying more RAM, which is a bit of a hassle for a laptop I gather.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

More likely that 64 MB has been allocated to your laptop's graphics card, to save a few quid for the manufacturer.

Best solution is to upgrade, use www.crucial.com/uk 's advisor to get details about your laptop and what it can take.

No hassle, buying and adding ram to most laptops is, if anything, easier than adding to a PC. Usually open one screw at the bottom of the laptop and add/swap a memory dimm.
    Unless you're really unlucky and it's all soldered in. Haven't seen this in years though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.shop4memory.com/ also have a memory search option.

When the laptop starts up it may give an optoin to go into setup/BIOS - it may say in there - or in the manual..

There is a setting in C:\ BOOT.INI for memory - extrememly unlikely but..

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp
    /burnmemory=number
    Specifies an amount of memory, in megabytes, that Windows XP Professional cannot use. Use this parameter to confirm performance or other problems related to RAM depletion. For example, /burnmemory=128 would reduce the physical memory available to Windows XP Professional by 128 MB.

/maxmem=number Specifies the maximum amount of RAM that Windows XP Professional can use. Use this parameter to confirm whether a memory chip is faulty. For example, if you have a 128-MB system that is equipped with two 64-MB RAM modules and you are experiencing memory-related Stop messages, you can specify /maxmem=64. If the computer starts Windows XP Professional and operates without problems, replace the first module to see if this resolves the problem.

Advertisement