Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms and Conditions

Options
  • 26-11-2004 1:26am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any 'body' responsible for monitoring the Terms and Conditons which ISP's put in place and how they can change or modify them?

Have Comreg or the Dirctor of Consumer Affairs any role to play?

It seems to me that the ISP's can put in virtually anything they like when they like without having to inform customers of the changes. Here is a current example of a T&C which surely would not be acceptable in any other industry:

xxxx do 'not accept any responsibility for any defects or
    errors in either the Service or the Modem'.

How can it be that thousands of people are paying fees to a Company that does not accept any responsibility for a defect in the service? What are we actually paying for if a Company can absolve itself of such a responsibility.

I will not name the specific company as I dont want to start a bashing session! I just want to raise the general issue of T&C's and what should and should not be permissable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Certainly seems bizarre when you look at it in isolation. Are they trying to introduce the notion of limited liability i.e. they are responsible for getting the service/modem fixed but not responsible for any consequential losses i.e. your business going done the tubes. With certain providers that do not own the network they are carried on and can not be held directly responsible for it.

Terms & conditions have become a major issue in the States. In California, telcos are not obliged to provide T&C's but they must be lodged at a publicly accessable location. They are notoriously complex and difficult to understand and many of their promotional campaigns are governed by complex conditions. For example, it is possible to advertise "Calls to Ireland for 1c per minute* (T&C's apply)" with the condition being that after a certain period another (higher) rate kicks in but you are now contractually bound. It would be interesting to know if T&C's do need to be approved in advance by ComReg.

Advertisement