Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed/Thrash Metal

Options
  • 26-11-2004 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for any suggestions for new Thrash/Speed metal bands to listen to.
    Stuff I've listen to and liked includes:
    Megadeth
    (Early) Metallica
    Slayer
    Testament
    and other stuff like Anthrax, At The Gates, Death, Pantera, Sepultura, Soilwork that has some thrash/speed to it. I'm going to get some Kreator and Exodus albums, havent heard much from either of them but I really liked the stuff that I heard.
    So, any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You heard The Haunted? If not, check out their album The Haunted Made Me Do It, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Cool beans, I'll check that out. I can't believe that you can't think of any more that just one album, AW!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Get some Dark Angel. "Darkness Descends" is a pretty decent album. That Haunted album is a must though, you have to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Exodus
    Sacred Reich
    Vovoid
    The Haunted
    Dark Angel
    Death Angel
    Overkill
    Suicidal Tendencies (not so much thrash/speed, but definitely a band to listen to)
    Machine Head (early)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Overkill-Horrorscope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Exodus
    Sacred Reich
    Voivod
    The Haunted
    Dark Angel
    Death Angel
    Overkill
    Suicidal Tendencies

As above, also there were some quality English bands around the late 80's too, such as Acid Reign, Xentrix, D.A.M. and especially Sabbat. Make sure you check out Coroner, one of the most underrated bands ever (especially the Mental Votex album). Let me see, Celtic Frost are a must. Forbidden, the first two albums are incredible. Kreator, Meliah Rage. The first two Annihilator albums are thrash gold. Painkiller by Judas Priest. The first Fight album, War Of Words, is class, goes cheap in HMV and the likes. Doomsday For The Deciever by Flotsam and Jetsam is one of my all-time favourites. Prong. Metal Church. Nuclear Assault, one of the true champions of thrash (avoid everything from Out Of Order onwards though). Sell your mother to pick up a copy of Speak English Or Die by S.O.D. M.O.D. had some great albums too.

If I were to recommend some specific Cd's
    Alice In Hell by Annihilator
    Survive by Nuclear Assault (it's out of print so go for Handle With Care)
    Extreme Aggression by Kreator
    Mental Vortex by Coroner
    Obnoxious by Acid Reign
    Doomsday For The Deciever by Flotsam and Jetsam
    Surf Nicaragua by Sacred Reich
    The Years Of Decay by Overkill
    and the new Exodus cd is possibly their best. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Doctor J wrote:
    Also there were some quality English bands around the late 80's too, such as Acid Reign, Xentrix, D.A.M. and especially Sabbat. Make sure you check out Coroner, one of the most underrated bands ever (especially the Mental Votex album). Let me see, Celtic Frost are a must. Forbidden, the first two albums are incredible. Kreator, Meliah Rage. The first two Annihilator albums are thrash gold. Painkiller by Judas Priest. The first Fight album, War Of Words, is class, goes cheap in HMV and the likes. Doomsday For The Deciever by Flotsam and Jetsam is one of my all-time favourites. Prong. Metal Church. Nuclear Assault, one of the true champions of thrash (avoid everything from Out Of Order onwards though). Sell your mother to pick up a copy of Speak English Or Die by S.O.D. M.O.D. had some great albums too.

If I were to recommend some specific Cd's
    Alice In Hell by Annihilator
    Survive by Nuclear Assault (it's out of print so go for Handle With Care)
    Extreme Aggression by Kreator
    Mental Vortex by Coroner
    Obnoxious by Acid Reign
    Doomsday For The Deciever by Flotsam and Jetsam
    Surf Nicaragua by Sacred Reich
    The Years Of Decay by Overkill
    and the new Exodus cd is possibly their best. Enjoy!

Dear god, I forgot Annihilator, agh how could I.

http://www.annihilatormetal.com/audio.htm - samples of what they do

Totally endorse the above mentioned albums - and the new Exodus album is fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Actually, must make a honorable mention for Nevermore, Dead Heart In A Dead World is really well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If you liked Pantera,you might like to try SuperJoint Ritual decent enough band tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Whilst more death than what you're probably looking for, Decapitated play at Formula 1 speed, I'd recommend the new one, The Negation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

I agree with The Haunted, they are my favourite band and i highly recommend them to anyone.

My sig is a line from 'Trespass' on 'The Haunted Made Me Do It' album.

Also check out their albums 'One Kill Wonder' (the instrumental 'Demon Eyes is brilliant) and the newly released 'rEVOLVEr'.

And check out Jonas and Anders Bjorler of 'The Haunted''s old band 'At The Gates'

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

First two Forbidden albums and all of Vio-lence.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Fantastic stuff, enough suggestions to keep me going till I'm old and gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

thrash/black metal

Bathory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Mokoma are alright in my books for a bit o' speed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you want raw speed you cant get much faster than Mithras tbh, they play really evil music at a million miles per hour, mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Check out any Protector albums you can get your grubby mits on, as well as Necronomicon. Furthermore, Holocausto and Andralls are excellent Brazilian thrash, brutal stuff. You need Most Sodom and Kreator albums, though no Kreator after Coma of Souls (German thrash classic!) is really worth a look in, as they became some stupid Gaythenburg style thing after that. Destruction have a few decent albums. Exhorder and Demolition Hammer are awesome bands too, if you think Pantera are good, listen to the bands they ripped off!Get all you can of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Pugsley wrote:
    If you want raw speed you cant get much faster than Mithras tbh, they play really evil music at a million miles per hour, mad stuff.

Mithras are one of the most phenominal bands around today. Definetly not Thrash by a long shot, but I recommend them unreservedly. Check out www.mithras.org.uk and have a listen to some of the mp3s offered.

And if we're speaking of spead, you certainly can't discount Immortal!
    Or for that matter, Behemoth.

Edit: Just for those who may doubt the speed of Mithras, check out one of the isolated drum tracks from the Worlds Beyond The Veil album here <---there.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Don't forget Sonata Arctica or Children of Bodom. They're two fairly fast bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

as mentioned the first annihilator cd is excellent

always liked overkill
    and i really liked "human" by Death i thinnk the main guy was a fella called chuck scheider he really had some good tunes , members of death left and went on to form another band and their first albumn was very heavy and fast and very well received I just cannot think of the name of the band or the cd at the moment , but one of their tracks featured in a Michael Keaton movie where he is a really obnoxious tenant , he plays it really loud in the garage ,

there was also a christian death metal band called believer I thought they were alright ,and i was surprised no mentioned morbid angel

and for when ur chillin out try zero 7 !!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

would highley recommend Overkill and The Haunted.

Try their stuff and you wont regret it

Advertisement