Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biki Search for Firefox

Options
  • 26-11-2004 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I created up a [wiki]Biki[/wiki] Search engine for firefox.

Just unzip the files in the attachment to your ..

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins

Then restart firefox and you should then have the Biki Search in your search engine list.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I Was thinking of doing a firefox extension too. It will basically do a biki search when you highlight a word and right click it. (or will when its written). Created a [wiki]Firefox plugins[/wiki] page already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

biki search?
    whats that when its sitting at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Check out the "biki" thread on this board and it will all make sense... well almost.

Ok I have created a Biki Plugin for Boards/Firefox.

It only works on the 1.0 release of firefox (no plans to test it on earlier versions).

How to Install
    ===========
    1. save the zip attachment to your disk.*
    2. unzip the bikisearch.xpi file to somewhere.
    3. Open Firefox (if not already open).
    4. Select File->Open and then select the bikisearch.xpi file.
    5. The normal Mozilla plugin installer will activate. Install plugin.
    6. Restart firefox.

After that all you need to is highlight text and right click and select 'biki search' (blue logo). It will attempt to find a Biki document on the selected text.

Known Issues.
    ===========
    1. It works on any website. Although it will call to biki. (can't be bothered at this time to fix this, if someone else wants to please feel free).

2. It does a "Go" search. In other words attempts to find the exact subject. If you want a fulltext search instead your going to have to modify the plugin or use the biki search engine instead. I have left the fulltext search code in but remarked out.

If you like it give me some rep. :)

* Boards won't let me upload .xpi files so I had to zip it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Rep given. Tis the fo-shizzle.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Aye, rep given, NOICE ONE!

Handy to have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Noice indeed

flogen

Ok I have updated the plugin. It now has an option to create new entries. I also fixed the selection so it trims the text (spaces in search seem to mess it up).

If you have the previous version installed it should automatically replace it when you install again. If it doesn't then uninstall then install again.

How to Install
    ===========
    1. save the zip attachment to your disk.*
    2. unzip the bikisearch.xpi file to somewhere.
    3. Open Firefox (if not already open).
    4. Select File->Open and then select the bikisearch.xpi file.
    5. The normal Mozilla plugin installer will activate. Install plugin.
    6. Restart firefox.

After that, highlight text and right click on it.

Select "Search Biki" (blue logo) to do a search on that text, or select "Create Biki" (red logo) to create/go directly to an entry.

Known Issues.
    ===========
    1. It works on any website. Although it will call to biki. (can't be bothered at this time to fix this, if someone else wants to please feel free).

2. It does a "Go" search. In other words attempts to find the exact subject. If you want a fulltext search instead your going to have to modify the plugin or use the biki search engine instead. I have left the fulltext search code in but remarked out.

Again, If you like it give me some rep. ;)

Advertisement