Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compileable or compilable?

Options
  • 26-11-2004 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Not really programming related but I think this is a better place than the english forum!

Which is the correct spelling?
    dictionary.com is oblivious to the existence of the word while google returns about 6,000 results for the version with the e and 86,000 results for the other version. That would suggest compilable is correct but 6,000+ results is a lot of wrongly spelt words!

/edit fixed spelling mistakes :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've also seen "compilible". AFAIR if you add "able" onto the end of the word you have to remove the vowel on the end.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if I spelt it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

personally I would avoid using any spelling of the word, considering that it doesn't exist (as a proper dictionary defined word that is [as dictionary.com attests to]) however if I was really pushed I would go with the 'able' version with the dropped 'e'. It just looks more correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Abiding by the rules herein, compilable is the correctest form.

Advertisement