Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bus link to Luas boosts city access

• 26-11-2004 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

From topdays Indo:
    A NEW Dublin Bus service linking the Luas lines via two city centre shopping areas starts on Monday.

Route No 92 will operate from Heuston Station, along the North Quays, to O'Connell Street and on to St Stephen's Green with the return journey to the station via O'Connell Bridge and the South Quays.

The service will operate from Monday to Saturday from 7am until 7pm every 20 minutes and then every 30 minutes from 7pm until last departure at 11pm.

Passengers using the St Stephen's Green Luas Line can travel to Heuston Station where they can change on to the Luas line to Tallaght.

have Dublin Bus introduced any other "luas" routes
    ie routes to connect to luas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Noticed a mortons decker going around town also bearing a board saying - heuston to city! Competition already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Wasn't there talk of a DB link between the two Luas lines for Christmas?

I think it had to be canned as Morton's (or some other private operator) was threatening to take them to court. The problem was that took in part of one of the existing private operator routes would be along that stretch and so the new service could be construed as competition which was receiving a state subsidy.

There was something about Connex being able to operate the service legitmately, but Connex have no interest at the moment in running a temporary bus service in the Capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

So the 92 bus is now competing against the Luas for passengers from Heuston to O'connell St! I have read that there is a private operator that has the Stephens Green to O'connell St. link-up route. Perhaps this is DB's way of getting around it by operating a longer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

The 20B also runs from Heuston station to Stephens Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

So do some of the 46As.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

scribs wrote:
    The 20B also runs from Heuston station to Stephens Green

I think you will find the 20B runs from Stephen's Green to Connolly not Heuston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/timetable_and_route_news.asp?action=view&news_id=388
    New Route 92

ANSWER: From Monday 29th November 2004 they will be interconnected by a new loop bus service

Dublin Bus’s new Route No. 92 will operate a complete loop service from Heuston Station, along the North Quays, to O’Connell Bridge and onto St. Stephen’s Green and then returning to Heuston Station from St. Stephens Green via O’Connell Bridge and the South Quays.

The service will operate from Monday to Saturday from 7.00am until 7pm every 20 minutes and then every 30 minutes from 7pm until last departure at 11pm. See timetable

This new service offers endless possibilities for the customer:

* Hop off the St. Stephen’s Green Luas Line, jump on the No.92, travel to Heuston Station and from there you can travel to the West of the city by Luas or indeed the West and South of Ireland by rail.

* Hop off a train or the Tallaght Luas line at Heuston; jump on the No.92, and head to the shopping and entertainment meccas of the O’Connell St. and St. Stephens Green areas.

* Reach the business districts in the city with this link up; work or leisure this service closes the gap between some of the busiest, enterprising and most visited areas of the city.

* All buses on this route will be low floor fully accessible to allow transport for all and will stop at major points along the journey in both directions.

Speaking about this new service Grainne Mackin, Communications Manager for Dublin Bus said, “This service is about joining the dots and filling in the blanks and now offers a complete public transport option for people to avail of. It’s what people want and we’re meeting their needs”.

From Heuston Station to St. Stephen’s Green and vice versa the cash fare will be €1.25. Anywhere in between will be a cash fare of 95c. All bus, bus/rail, rail transfer and bus/Luas prepaid tickets are valid for this service.

Timetable http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

It's not frequent enough. Every twenty minutes is ridiculous. You'd spend more time waiting for the bus than on it. If DB thinks this is the "missing link" in the transport network they should be ashamed of themselves.

And since when did O'Connell Street become a "shopping and entertainment mecca?" Talk about hyperbole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

While I agree that it's not worth waiting 20min for it, this new bus is is in addition to the existing 10min freq on the no 90, as well as the 7.5min freq Luas (to go to every 5min). Short of constructing the Interconnector, I can't see Heuston->City Centre links getting much better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Actually this is a great idea.

The frequency could be better (every 10 mins) but it will help me no end on my travels from Milltown to Heuston. Its a pain in the butt having to walk from the Green to Aston Quay for the bus or Jervis / Abbey for the tram.

All I have to do is tailor my journey into the green to suit the departure time of the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

enterprise wrote:
    Actually this is a great idea.

The frequency could be better (every 10 mins) but it will help me no end on my travels from Milltown to Heuston. Its a pain in the butt having to walk from the Green to Aston Quay for the bus or Jervis / Abbey for the tram.

All I have to do is tailor my journey into the green to suit the departure time of the bus.

You'd possibly be better off just to walk from the Green straight to Heuston. I do it in 25 minutes every day - much faster than getting around College Green and trying to get onto a 90/91, especially during rush hour. Busses on Suffolk Street can also take far too long to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

John R wrote:
    I think you will find the 20B runs from Stephen's Green to Connolly not Heuston.

A couple of 20Bs go from Heuston to Stephens Green each morning. There is one at 8am, for example, and I think another befor 8.30. Its route is exactly that of the proposed 92. However, there is no return route for the 20B to Heuston, as far as I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Genghis wrote:
    A couple of 20Bs go from Heuston to Stephens Green each morning. There is one at 8am, for example, and I think another befor 8.30. Its route is exactly that of the proposed 92. However, there is no return route for the 20B to Heuston, as far as I know.

The 20b does not go anywere near Heuston never has and never will.

Dub13 wrote:
    The 20b does not go anywere near Heuston never has and never will.

It does. I have taken it most days now for almost 2 years. You clearly haven't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Genghis wrote:
    It does. I have taken it most days now for almost 2 years. You clearly haven't.

Are you sure its a 20b...?its not on any timetable I have.

Dub13 wrote:
    Are you sure its a 20b...?its not on any timetable I have.

Positive. It is a bit like the 46A that runs at 08:35. This is probably not on any timetable either. My guess is that Dublin Bus wanted to provide a couple of services that weren't simply 'up the quays', and that it was easier to pick a route that already terminated at Stephens Green and run a couple of services that began at Heuston that to go through the licencing applicaiton, etc. I know they aren't on the timetable either, not on the 90 / 91 timetable or the 20b timetable. I guess it isn't really relevant to normal 20b passengers.

But with the 92 service now operational, I guess there will be no more 20bs from Heuston.

There is no 20B service from Heuston to St. Stephens Green - the bus you get is a 91.

HOWEVER!

The reason it displays 20B is that the DMD (Dot-Matrix Display) is not programmed to display "91 St. Stephens Green". Therefore the driver inputs "20B St Stephens Green" into the DMD even though its a route 91 service.

The 91 a la 20B's will continue to operate as the 92 is operated by 3 midi-buses on a 20 min frequency.

The 08.40 46A departure from Heuston is in the timetable. It appears in the 46A and 90 timetables.

It is shown in the 90 as "to St. Stephens Green".

Hopefully that clears up the issues.

AndrewMc wrote:
    You'd possibly be better off just to walk from the Green straight to Heuston. I do it in 25 minutes every day - much faster than getting around College Green and trying to get onto a 90/91, especially during rush hour. Busses on Suffolk Street can also take far too long to move.

With two heavy laden bags when im travelling home for the weekend - I dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

John R wrote:

Got on the 20B at Heuston station today at 8.10am
    It went from Heuston station to Stephens Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

From enterprise's post above:
    There is no 20B service from Heuston to St. Stephens Green - the bus you get is a 91.

HOWEVER!

The reason it displays 20B is that the DMD (Dot-Matrix Display) is not programmed to display "91 St. Stephens Green". Therefore the driver inputs "20B St Stephens Green" into the DMD even though its a route 91 service.

The 91 a la 20B's will continue to operate as the 92 is operated by 3 midi-buses on a 20 min frequency.

The 08.40 46A departure from Heuston is in the timetable. It appears in the 46A and 90 timetables.

It is shown in the 90 as "to St. Stephens Green".

Hopefully that clears up the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

scribs wrote:
    Got on the 20B at Heuston station today at 8.10am
    It went from Heuston station to Stephens Green

As Enterprise explained above it is not a 20B but a 90/91 that uses "20B Stephens Green" on the display

Are people blind?

Shall I bother to correct mistakes like this again? :D

Advertisement