Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the WWE championship

• 26-11-2004 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be a bit oblective here.

Many people have bashed JBL over the last few months for being champ or for being boring and untalented.u are all entitled to your opinion of JBL.Personally i disagree with his gestures in Germany with the nazi salute and so forth but u still have to respect the man for performing week after week.Sure he's not a flashy champ but does it really matter who the champ is?
    I think we should be more concerned with the stories and the entertainment value rather than saying who should and shouldnt be the champ.
    I disagree with fans on some internet sites who say JBL should be gotten rid of.All he wants to do is perform and live his dream as a wrestling superstar.Having said this,Im indifferent whether he loses the title and who gains it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

JBL is a heel. A very good heel, as he has proved over the last few months.

I find his gimmick funny, he has helped Orlando Jordan finally get some TV time.

I think people want too much out of wrestlers in general.

That being said, I reckon his reign should come to an end, and soon. Its gone repetitive, and a new lease of life is needed for SD. Thats no disprespect for JBL though.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

I would rather see a monkey hold the belt rather than JBL to be honest.

^^^^^^^^^^

Why? Who would do a better job, and how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

JBL has been very entertaining over the last few months, I have to give the guy credit, hes done more with his title-reign than Eddie and he's showed that he can be in good main events and actually wrestle from time to time, but its time for somebody new to step in, spice up the storyline, its getting stale.
    Personally wouldn't mind seeing Show with the belt (am I going insane???), he's been recieved way better by the fans since his recent push after angle shaved his head, he looks better and he seems to be taking the role as the Big Cheese in the locker room, kinda like Orton is doing on RAW, well sort of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

OH COME ON!
    JBL is the reason why Smackdown has lost the majority of it's fanbase. There are a number of people who could hold the title convincingly

Eddie Guerrero
    Kurt Angle
    Booker T, as much as i can't stand him.
    RVD if given a decent push
    Hell, even the Undertaker would be better than JBL, it'll serve the purpose of getting the crippled old hasbeen off our screens afterwards.

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the WWE may have gotten sick of popular heel champons which is why we're left with HHH and JBL as the champions.
    JBL is NOT a good champion at all.He gets booed because the fans don't believe he has the credibility to hold the title.Hell,I would've preferred Hardcore Holly to have won the title off of Lesnar last year rather than put up with the joke that is JBL.He's one of the worst champions in history perhaps second only to the WCW title reign of David Arquette. :mad:

OH COME ON!
    JBL is the reason why Smackdown has lost the majority of it's fanbase.

Im surprised with you VR. You know that thats a lazy, and easy, assertion to make. JBLs main events have all been quite entertaining. Damn he carried Taker for their matches.

SWmackdown has lost its fanbase due to talent drain. Its lost Benoit, Edge, Benjamin, and gained Dupre and RVD (a character who wwe seem to dislike).

Its main eventers are only Angle and eddie, other than that, the pickings are slim. They seem to reckon Cena will boost ratings? Not in my lifetime. A one dimensional chacter whose wrestling abilities are a touch above average.

JBL may not be the best, and I never wanted him to get the title, but since he has got it, he has ran with it, and made for some very entertaining (if not dodgy) television.

WWE wouldnt leave the title on a guy for 6 months if he was loosing them money, he must be doing something right.

If for no other reason, the line - "Its nothing personal, just personal hygeniene" is just pure genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

TBH I am not that big a fan of JBL, but i do have 2 give him & the WWE props for making such a great heel.
    That said my only real problem with him, is that he was given such a huge push over, all the other more worthy wrestlers on Smackdown. Cena, Angle, Taker, Show, hey even Eddie could of held the title longer.

Although thinking about it again, do we the fans, or the Wrestlers 4 that matter really care about the WWE championship anymore.
    I'm not dissing him now, in fact i think it was his best decision, but Benoit decided to defect to Raw to try 4 the WCW title. Xactly the WCW title.
    I'm not sure about all of you but i still consider Raw's belt, as the WCW championship, and I cant understand why most of the WWE wrestlers consider it more important.

I guess, to quote Booker T ''Smackdown is the minor leagues'' and I think we do have 2 agree with him.
    Granted i suppose that's the way the WWE have plugged the shows. Raw is the showcase of wrestling talent and Smackdown is the best entertainment show ever.

Anywho JBL will prolly be the frontrunner 4 Smackdwon for a long time to come yet.
    C YA :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well,when was the last time Smackdown main evented a joint Raw and Smackdown ppv?I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying the last time it happened was Wrestlemania XIX when Lesnar faced Angle for the title.The World title is definitely more prestigious especially since Benoit chose to fight for it.
    I can't believe gimmick thinks JBL's main event shave been entertaining.Look at the recent ppvs:

Summerslam-Beats Taker by getting disqualified.BORING!It was the exact same scenario as when he guarenteed victory over Eddie at Judgment Day.

No Mercy-Beats Taker with help from Heidenreich.Heydenreich basically won the match for him.I think JBL maybe had a hand on Taker's back as he was shoved into the hearse.Not what I'd call entertaining.

Survivor Series-Outside interference to beat Booker T.Yawn.

JBL is a terrible wrestler.He does a good promo but he does not deserve to hold the title.

gimmick wrote:
    Im surprised with you VR. You know that thats a lazy, and easy, assertion to make. JBLs main events have all been quite entertaining. Damn he carried Taker for their matches.

A favour returned so seeing as Bradshaw was green for years, who carried Bradshaw on his debut match, Undertaker, who gave Bradshaw the rub with a character change as an Acolyte? Undertaker. I'll freely admit that UT needs to retire, he needed to retire 2 years ago. Thats not a case of Bradshaw being great, thats a case of Undertaker not being great (and really, now he isn't, lets not sugar coat it) and as a result, Bradshaw looks better.
    SWmackdown has lost its fanbase due to talent drain. Its lost Benoit, Edge, Benjamin, and gained Dupre and RVD (a character who wwe seem to dislike).

There's a reason for that, and RVD shot himself in the foot and made himself look like a complete hypocrite. RVD towards the end of his last contract went on a number of radio talk shows bashing the product and how much he was unhappy. Then went the double standard route and signed a new contract. Vince doesn't forget easily. Rob screwed Ro... oh nevermind.

Benoit was going nowhere on Smackdown anyway, so that's not an excuse. Edge was been crap since he came back from injury, although the heel turn might fix that. Benjamin has no charisma, a great technician. Dupree would be alright if he got rid of that stupid dance and dog.

But JBL's forever prolonged reign and him main eventing PPV's on the SD side has tuned a lot of people out, ratings have tanked. Main events sell PPV's at the end of the day, and for as long as JBL is headling, they will continue to tank because his shock actions are now predictable and the novelty has worn off. You watch SD ratings rise when he drops the belt, then wait for me to say "I f*cking told you so" :)
    Its main eventers are only Angle and eddie, other than that, the pickings are slim. They seem to reckon Cena will boost ratings? Not in my lifetime. A one dimensional chacter whose wrestling abilities are a touch above average.

I'm actually surprised Eddie didn't walk after that. Thats exactly the same sort of politics that pushed him out the door of WCW, if he was to drop the belt to Booker, it wouldn't have been so bad and then have Booker drop it to JBL for him to then drop it to Eddie, it would have looked so much better and that way it could have set up Eddie/Angle for Mania 21. Personally that's how i'd have done it. Because those who worked hard during the years would have had their payday. You could have Eddie V Booker at Summerslam, Booker Vs JBL at Survivor Series, JBL vs Eddie at Royal Rumble, then Eddie V Angle II at WM. All big paycheques, all decent length reigns, everyone goes home happy backstage and crowd is happy and ratings would go through the roof.

But i'm just a mark, what do i know? :P
    JBL may not be the best, and I never wanted him to get the title, but since he has got it, he has ran with it, and made for some very entertaining (if not dodgy) television.

You hit the nail on the head. MADE. Since then it's been like a loaf of stale bread, you know what's gonna happen next and you can have an educated guess as to when it'll happen.
    WWE wouldnt leave the title on a guy for 6 months if he was loosing them money, he must be doing something right.

Let's take a close look at that, we ARE talking about Vince McMahon. The man who created the WBF and signed Lex Luger to headline it, which tanked before it hit six months, the same man who signed untested olympian Mark Henry in 1996 to a ten year deal and has regretted it for the last six years, yet Bret got his contract pulled for less! The same guy who in 2001, launched the XFL for it to not even last one season. It's McMahon, he has a Bachelors degree on losing money!
    If for no other reason, the line - "Its nothing personal, just personal hygeniene" is just pure genius.

Hey, Kevin Nash came out some class quotes, as has Bob Holly (dubbing Kane as the big red retard), but i never want to see those guys with a world title!

You have just been listening to validreasoning!
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Let's take a close look at that, we ARE talking about Vince McMahon. The man who created the WBF and signed Lex Luger to headline it, which tanked before it hit six months, the same man who signed untested olympian Mark Henry in 1996 to a ten year deal and has regretted it for the last six years, yet Bret got his contract pulled for less! The same guy who in 2001, launched the XFL for it to not even last one season. It's McMahon, he has a Bachelors degree on losing money!

I don't think his financial mistakes are as black and white as your making them out to be. Running a wrestling franchise can't be easy, mistakes will be made.

I don't think his financial mistakes are as black and white as your making them out to be. Running a wrestling franchise can't be easy, mistakes will be made.

I never said it was easy, Mid South, AWA, WCW and ECW are four solid pieces of evidence that it's not. However you have to admit, trying alternatives to bodybuilding and an extreme NFL aren't wise decisions by ANYONE who has a brain in business.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

JBL IS suprisingly entertaining as a character without a doubt but as a main event wrestler he does not cut it and never will do at this rate they will give the belt to Kenzo Susuki at this stage.

jesusjones wrote:
    JBL IS suprisingly entertaining as a character without a doubt but as a main event wrestler he does not cut it and never will do at this rate they will give the belt to Kenzo Susuki at this stage.

Aw don't do that! The angle they're giving him, he'd be jipping all over it while watching Torrie Wilson on the TV backstage. :(

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

norbert64 wrote:
    TBH I am not that big a fan of JBL, but i do have 2 give him & the WWE props for making such a great heel.
    That said my only real problem with him, is that he was given such a huge push over, all the other more worthy wrestlers on Smackdown. Cena, Angle, Taker, Show, hey even Eddie could of held the title longer.

Although thinking about it again, do we the fans, or the Wrestlers 4 that matter really care about the WWE championship anymore.
    I'm not dissing him now, in fact i think it was his best decision, but Benoit decided to defect to Raw to try 4 the WCW title. Xactly the WCW title.
    I'm not sure about all of you but i still consider Raw's belt, as the WCW championship, and I cant understand why most of the WWE wrestlers consider it more important.

I guess, to quote Booker T ''Smackdown is the minor leagues'' and I think we do have 2 agree with him.
    Granted i suppose that's the way the WWE have plugged the shows. Raw is the showcase of wrestling talent and Smackdown is the best entertainment show ever.

Anywho JBL will prolly be the frontrunner 4 Smackdwon for a long time to come yet.
    C YA :D

I do believe that belt is pretty old as in it was the original Pro Wrestling HeavyWeight Belt like NWA or AWA had it and WCW got it when they bought them out,its older than the WWE championship belt and it looks alot cooler too :)

I do believe that belt is pretty old as in it was the original Pro Wrestling HeavyWeight Belt like NWA or AWA had it and WCW got it when they bought them out,its older than the WWE championship belt and it looks alot cooler too :)

It's not the same belt though, there are significant differences. I was looking through some Flair material from 91 and it's definitely different from the one that WWE rehashed in 2002.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

It's not the same belt though, there are significant differences. I was looking through some Flair material from 91 and it's definitely different from the one that WWE rehashed in 2002.

VR!

Really?....I got the Flair DVD I though it looked the same but then again I wasn't looking at it too close, isn't it the same belt that he has on in the picture on/in the box?

WWE keep feckin with the belts, remember when they had the colour straps and the belts looked like they were just painted gold..possibly cus they were

Really?....I got the Flair DVD I though it looked the same but then again I wasn't looking at it too close, isn't it the same belt that he has on in the picture on/in the box?

WWE keep feckin with the belts, remember when they had the colour straps and the belts looked like they were just painted gold..possibly cus they were

The belt he has on the box is the original belt.
    Now take a good look at that, a good close look... then look at the belt he has on his shoulder on the cover of disk 3. You'll see some slight differences, mainly the WWE logo etched in for a start, the nameplates they use for the belt are a lot tackier than the ones WCW used.

I actually liked the 80s/90s IC and WWE belts :)
    VR!

Advertisement