Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying phones in the U.S

Options
  • 26-11-2004 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Let me just say i know very little about mobiles. I'm off to america in the morning and it hit me that i could buy my girlfriend her xmas pressie over there. She wants a new phone. Is it possible to buy a phone in the states, bring it home, insert sim card and away i go? Its probably not goin to be that simple right!?
    She has a pay as you go nokia 3310 at the moment and i'd like to stay with Nokia. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Be careful! Not all US phones are GSM standard (even though they may be familiar looking models) and secondly their tri-band standards are different to ours so you may find that the flexibility of your handset is limited outside of the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It would need to be a GSM phone and have the same bands as here (what are they 900/1800? can't remember). They have non GSM phones aswell as GSM phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Buying a phone in the US without a network connection is likely to work out very expensive -- and you'll have to pay extra for GSM as it's non standard there.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Thanks for the info lads, Sounds a bit too dodgy to buy in the US. looks like she'll be getting the 3220. Which everyone will have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

If you are flying through the UK it might be worth while checking out the retailers in the duty free. I know Dixons are in most airports and have a range of SIM free phones. Don't what the prices are though and they will be sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

I'm thinking aboiut buying a new unlocked nokia 6230 triband from ebay?
    Does anyone know for sure if the phone will work in Ireland, when I put my sim card into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

I got a 7250 from the u.s, had no problems

Advertisement