Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces (RDF), Waterford Area

Options
  • 26-11-2004 12:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As some may or may not know there is a RDF (formaly FCA) Company in Waterford City. D Coypany, 9th Infantry Battalion parades on Wednesday nights in the barracks on Green St. (Green St runs between Barrack St and Ballybricken).

Anyone between the ages of 17 and 32 is eligible to join. Weekly activities are based around all aspects of military training and there are regular events held in other military facilities around the country. Its also worth noting that annual camps as well as some other events and duties are paid (at the same rate of the equivalent rank in the Perminant Defence Forces).

Memebers come from all areas of Waterford City and county and both males and females are eligible to join.

To find out more you can drop up to the barracks on a Wednesday night after 8pm or contact them on (051) 374425.

Information is also available on the Irish Army website http://www.military.ie
    gunPost.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah i would strongly recommend joining or even having a look people!!! its a great way to spend a few hours a week!!! and the annual camps are a great laugh!!! some of the best piss ups i ever had were on annual camp!!! :) im a member of the 3 cav sqn in clonmel so if anyone up this way wants to find out about joining you can also get in touch with myself!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cav gave us a hand recently actually:

aml.jpg

BTW for any existing members of the PDF/RDF be sure to check oout http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/board/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

actually thats my brother on top of the aml 90!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hey thats me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Famous hehehehehe

But seriously if anyone wants tojoin a worthwhile organisation then the RDF is definately the one to go for... I've got my full driving licence all the way to truck all through the RDF and as for the crack we have driving around in that aml90 pictured above is something else I've seen people nearly crash looking at it on the road...........

Woosaysdan is my bro and he'll agree its one of the best things you can do with your spare time.....

I'd highly recommend it to anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

do you have anymore pics from that day????? I was with the 3rd cav that day and forgot my camera. If you have any send em to omeara_darragh@hotmail.com

regards

darragh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

What is the requirement for attending? I'd be interested in going, but I work until 10pm every second week so I'd only be able to go every other week.

Alot of people are in the same boat, as long as you can make it on the weekends away missing every 2nd wednesday isn't so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Seen as you mention boat there is also a naval service reserve unit in Waterford military Barricks, pretty much the same type of training as the Army reserve but aswell as going on camps there is sea going available to, which of corse you get paid for going on.

Any Qs feel free to PM me regarding NSR training.

Both FCA and An Slua Muire are definately worth joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Is Ben (aka 'God') still involved in FCA/RDA in Waterford?

Dont think so I dont know the name or the nickname...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Gah - can't remember his second name, he and a couple of his brothers used to be involved, has a cute looking sister called Hazel that would prolbably be in her late 20's at this point...hrm, no other info really, 'cept he used be involved in martial arts and the SCA as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

am in the nsr meself but soon to be in the army cos have a place in the group bein taken in sometime in july :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WaterfordGuy

Hi Lads,

I would love to join the FCA, im 24 and work Mon until Thursday night would that be a major problem?

How could i find out more about it?

What does it entail?

Anyone with any information could you e-mail me @ lfc506@yahoo.co.uk

WaterfordGuy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

Hi Lads,

I would love to join the FCA, im 24 and work Mon until Thursday night would that be a major problem?

How could i find out more about it?

What does it entail?

Anyone with any information could you e-mail me @ lfc506@yahoo.co.uk

WaterfordGuy

I think they call it the RDF these days, they got tired of all the "free clothes association" jokes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 meatloaf

Rew wrote:
    As some may or may not know there is a RDF (formaly FCA) Company in Waterford City. D Coypany, 9th Infantry Battalion parades on Wednesday nights in the barracks on Green St. (Green St runs between Barrack St and Ballybricken).

Anyone between the ages of 17 and 32 is eligible to join. Weekly activities are based around all aspects of military training and there are regular events held in other military facilities around the country. Its also worth noting that annual camps as well as some other events and duties are paid (at the same rate of the equivalent rank in the Perminant Defence Forces).

Memebers come from all areas of Waterford City and county and both males and females are eligible to join.

To find out more you can drop up to the barracks on a Wednesday night after 8pm or contact them on (051) 374425.

gunPost.jpg
    also anyone leaving the reserves can join the organisation for exservicemen and women meet in hall of holyfamily church last thursday of the month 087 6223830 contact thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I am not living in Waterford any more, paraded in Limerick for a while and then in Dublin with 11 cav, just finished up, for reasons of work, kids and a broken pelvis (bike, car ouch)!

BTW that is another great reason for joining the RDF, if you move elsewhere, there are other companies that you can parade with, meet new people with whom you have at least one common interest, and learn to play with the ministers toys :D

Hazel is now a second or third dan in Ju Jitsu, but will apreciate the cute bit!!!

My evil henchman, known to many as Jelly is still involved in the RDF in Waterford as are many of the other interesting if insane folks you would probably know.

Drop me a PM if you want!

PS. Evac you related to Oscar???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Rew wrote:

gunPost.jpg
    people i would,nt recommend going to join the fca, for one thing the pdf will treat ye like slaves and while on camp they will have ye cleaning the butts, and as for joining the pdf itself don,t bother get a real job cos you will do 7 months of being treated like a piece of ****e on the nco,s boot and for punishment you,ll be writing essays on anything from the inside of a golf ball to discipline in the army and i don,t mean 3 pages more like 20 and thats before cleaning your room and polishing your boots, your all probably going to say shut up to me but it the truth i know i,ve been there done that, and after all your training is complete all you will be doing is hiding in a locker room from 0900 til 1630

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Join the army and fell a man:D ;)

Join the army and fell a man:D ;)
    ye join the army and become the irish equivilent to a jar head: an empty head!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Join the Army, go to exotic places, and meet very interesting people, and "Kill them":D

• Advertisement

Join the Army, go to exotic places, and meet very interesting people, and "Kill them":D
    oh you must be on about the british army mate cos believe me ya don,t get ta do that with the irish army. ya can,t even set foot outside the camp unless your on a patrol the only thing ya get ta do is pull yourself off for six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marksireland

Rew wrote:

gunPost.jpg
    hi can you send me the address and number of the barracks in waterford etc. pls ty

hi can you send me the address and number of the barracks in waterford etc. pls ty
    don,t bother mate do something more interesting and that you get thanked for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the leader 64

i was n the f.c.a for 13 years and yes i would encourage young people to oin.

you learn great experience from first aid etc.

join up you have nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭vixdname

I was in the FCA in Waterford a long time ago, when we had he FN 7.62 rifles, and we had a great time. We had camp in Kilkenny and Tralee (Major piss ups), we had regular shooting competitions and a weekly march on Wednesday night.
    We had feck all to do with the PDFs so as for being treated like ****e from them, I couldnt tell ya, unless nowadays the RDF have a much closer run with the PDFs.
    Unfortunately there was no women in the FCA when I was in it so that would definitely be an added bonus if I were joining again !
    You'll meet some great characters from around the country and you'll definitely bring home some great memories - I know I did - No regret for joining here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whittler

Hi there, can my daughter join she's 16

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This thread started in 2004 and the last post was in 2011, I think it deserves to die.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement