Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Router, HELP!

• 26-11-2004 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

:confused: Please excuse my lack of knowledge about this but I'm not really a techie when it comes to computers. Basically I'm wondering if anyone can help me....

I have a normal Dell desktop computer(Windows XP SP2) and a Dell laptop with wireless capabilties on it (D600, Windows XP Prof SP1). I have Eircom Broadband Home Starter Plus with a Netopia 3300 modem. I want to be able to use the broadband connection the house computer uses for my laptop in my room while the rest of the family use the house computer so someone suggested I get a wireless router.I bought the D-Link DI-614+ from Elara. The house computer isn't wireless and needed to be set up to the wireless router via an ethernet cable. The instuction manual makes it seem very easy to set this up but after 4 hours of trying including being on numerous times to Eircom technical support, I can't get the house computer to connect to the internet when it's connected the way the instructions tell me, let alone even try and connect the laptop yet.
    If anyone knows what I'm talking about, or if they've done this type of thing before could they please post an idiot proof guide to setting it up for me or email me at rachg2003_AT_o2_DOT_ie
    I would really really appreciate any help!
    Thanking you in advance
    R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Have you bought a wireless card for you PC/Laptop? I have the same router and both a D-Link wireless card for my laptop and it took a whole 2 minutes to set up. I worked straight out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah my laptop works in the Wifi enabled parts of UCD so it has to have a wireless card thing. It's the PC that's the main problem. It's not wireless but apparently you can set it up to connect to the router anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

You sorted? I have a DI-614+. Its easy to set up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is the ethernet port on the PC definitely enabled and working? On some pcs when you plug an ethernet cable in and the connection is there a little light blinks! Check this out and check in the network connections inthe control panel.

There is always a small possiblity that the dsl has a fault in it.

Is your connection with the netopia via ethernet or usb?

Given that your laptop works with wireless have you tried that with the dlink?

Advertisement