Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Accents, good/Bad?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Hooky

Most of the young people i know are mad into rap, i dont know were you's are living but when i walk outside my house or walk down my road all i hear is rap music out some window or somebody driving by in a car pumping Method Man and Mary J, so in my eyes most of the up and coming generation are mad into it :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Fair enough I thought you meant that kids where mad into irish rappers not hip hop in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

They're into rap alright, saying they're into Hip-Hop is pushing it I think.
    Ask the average kid that listens to rap now-adays to name a DJ and I'd say you would get some pretty blank stares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I think the problem is hip hop isn't remotely big in this country. If you go into HMV it's all down in the basement along with house and metal music. It isn't considered mainstream.

Constrast this with the states where it's by far the most dominant genre.

The youth centre in Ennis has a good 10 or 15 groups playing battle of the bands every month. And most of them are pretty reasonable. Most people here probably had 4 or 5 people in their class at school who played rock. Even with that many kids involved you can count the number of successful international Irish rock acts on one hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Yes Blitz,but you must remember that the vast majority of young lads who set up their own band are absoloute sh1te. I get a great laugh every time I see that episode of the Royle Family where Anthony is managing a band,comprised of a couple of his twat mates. They think theyre gonna be the next Oasis-Jim,Dave and Denise know rightly they are a bunch of clueless rehabs.
    Dave "So who ya got on drums Ant?"
    Anthony "Darren. Well,not exactly drums,its more of a drum machine" :D:D

I get such a laugh out of that episode,it reminds me of a few ill planned bands I knew of

Look,loads of my mates have tried the band thing,or tried being solo musicians. You dont like to admit it cos theyre your mates,but for the most part deep down inside you are thinking to yourself "jesus,they are a bit sh1te arent they". If you didnt know them yid be saying "jesus theyre fcuking terrible arent they?".

The popularity of rap varies by region. Re what Hooky was saying,true,in North Dublin probably about 70% of the cars being driven past you by drivers in their late teens early 20s are blasting out rap. But outside Dublin,from my experience anyway,its primarily trance and hardhouse that scobe drivers are banging out. Rap is huge in Dublin,perhaps thats why nearly every Irish rapper is a Dub. Outside Dublin,the proportion of people properly into it(proper we shall assume indicates that they have albums by someone other than Eminem and Tupac)would be much much lower. The knowledge of Irish rap in Dublin,while not massive,is growing. Outside Dublin,I doubt many people have heard of any of the more prominent lads.

As for will an irish rapper ever make it big,who knows. By big,you must be able to be listenable to foreign audiences-lets face it,there are few Irish music milliuonaires whos music was confined entirely to the Irish market(bar perhaps some of those 70s showband boys). House of Pains Everlast rapped in a put on Irish accent and had a successful,if brief,career in the USA. So its possible,but it remains to be seen whether it will ever happen. Dizzee Rascal,The Streets they are trying to crack the US market. Personally,Im not sure either will succeed.
    Why?
    The Streets are simply too sh1te.
    Dizzee Rascal-from my experience,not many people from outside London can understand what hes saying. Fair enough,some of his newer material is a bit more audible,probably because the beats werent made on a playstation like the first album. But i still cant see the US going for him,unless he hooks up with american producers. I honestly cant stand most of the beats comin out of England,dunno if its that theyre too garage-ish,too amateur sounding or what,but most of them do nothin for me.

And by the way,enough of the ****ing childish arguements and the "I know more about rap than you,now fcek off". Fair enough,its acceptable if we get someone in shouting "2PAC IZ DA GR8ST I LUV CHANGEZ CALIFORNIA LOVE AND THE 1 WIT DA FAT GUY HE DIDNT LIKE. EMINEMZ BEZT ALBUMZ ARE EMINEM SHOW AND HIZ BEST SONG IZ JUST LOSE IT. RAP 4EVA!"
    But when ou have someone making a couple of legit points,dont jump on them for no good reason and when confronted with a bit of truth or a good anwser childishly rebuke it rather than admit you were wrong or partly wrong. This graf sh1te is really gettin on my tits now. Face it-there is practically no decent graffiti in Dublin. 98% consists of "ANTO HEART STACEY 4 EVA" or "CALL DECOS MA 086 1234567 FOR BLOWJOBS". I was in Paris before,the graffiti there is fcukin brilliant,its all over the underpasses,along the motorways,and its visible from the motorways on some of the sh1ttier estates around the city. Its peoples names,but its done like a pro. Dublin simply doesnt have much of this. You can take the bus from anywhere on the northside into town and see maybe two examples of semi decent stuff,the rest of the time you are stuck there reading "i smoked dope here" written in marker on the plastic back of the next seat. I think someone told me there was a pile of good stuff left at Parnell Square after an anti war march,its probably gone by now. Face it,Dublin has more piss artists than wall artists

Now,quit the sh1te before this thread and its legitimate discussion is locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Tha Gopher wrote:
    This graf sh1te is really gettin on my tits now. Face it-there is practically no decent graffiti in Dublin. 98% consists of "ANTO HEART STACEY 4 EVA" or "CALL DECOS MA 086 1234567 FOR BLOWJOBS". I was in Paris before,the graffiti there is fcukin brilliant,its all over the underpasses,along the motorways,and its visible from the motorways on some of the sh1ttier estates around the city. Its peoples names,but its done like a pro. Dublin simply doesnt have much of this. You can take the bus from anywhere on the northside into town and see maybe two examples of semi decent stuff,the rest of the time you are stuck there reading "i smoked dope here" written in marker on the plastic back of the next seat. I think someone told me there was a pile of good stuff left at Parnell Square after an anti war march,its probably gone by now. Face it,Dublin has more piss artists than wall artists
    But isn't it fun how two topics are discussed together in the same thread. Again you compare graffiti in the so called Hip Hop style to "i smoked dope here" scrawled on a wall. That's like drawing a comparison between Messiah J and some guy who sings in the shower. They are completely different. You tell everyone to "face it there is practically no decent graffiti in Dublin", just because you have never seen it? That's just dumb. You have seen lots of graffiti around paris, a lot of it is terrible stuff with no style. I've spoken to Mode 2 about the Paris scene, you might not know who he is but he's an accomplished graff artist, had exhibitions worldwide and is well known. He said when he paints pieces in Paris after he gets his flicks he crosses the pieces out because he knows it is going to happen anyway soon after he leaves. People do the same thing in London. That's often what happens in cities with larger scenes than Dublin has. Also because Dublin is smaller and there is less graffiti it is easier to clean the little bit there is, in places like Paris it simply isn't possible to clean everything. Graffiti is an underground thing, it's been that way since the beginning, tainting it with the hip hop brush doesn't mean it's going to be thrown in your face to see like so much sh!t rap music these days.

here
    here
    here
    here
    here
    here
    here
    wc1044ig.jpg
    wc042ua.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Klimseven

The Grift batman pisses over all the legal action...keep bombin ye crazy kunt...

aren't those three wholecars photshopped? If not, fair dues but I thought they were danish trains photoshopped onto a Dart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Klimseven wrote:
    Eh, dude...I've been writing for years, I know an awful lot about writing...now f uck off...

Sorry to drag this out again but for a start, as regards technique you have none, instead of starting from the ground and working your way up you try and put so much effect into your pieces they are just eye sores. And you have zero style to go with your lack of technique. Then you have an argument with another writer and you spray that persons real name on a legal wall!!! You're a straight up toy and you have no place discussing graffiti and it's subculture or it's place in hip hop on any forum. You do not yet have any real knowledge to back up your opinions. You have been writing for years yet your terrible pieces have only been appearing in the past few months. Scribbling on your copy books and garden shed do not constitute time spent writing graffiti. Come back in a few years when you know what you're talking about, or maybe you will have moved on the next fad by that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

oooh burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

ZING!

thread closed, your interpersonal bickering is the reason we cant have nice things
    ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement