Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elections!

Options
  • 26-11-2004 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Now I know Boards isn't a democracy, and there is a ruling junta in charge.

But how about throwing us a scrap and holding annual elections for Mods? I'd enjoy seeing people coming up with manifestos, rival 'parties' emerging etc.

It would, undisputedly, be a pain in the arse to organise, but would be a laugh.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Muppet acquired am I clear to fire ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Try to stay 'on topic' please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

\0/ i love these threads where someone bitches about a mod a tries to get them demoted from their position!!! a mod is there cos they are trusted by the admins to do a good job!!! and its going to take more than one muppet to get them removed!!!

Sorry guys, despite your fevered mantras of 'muppet', this is a straightforward suggestion, and surely one that can be debated?

You'll notice I'm not suggesting any Mod be 'demoted'. Merely that people be given an opportunity to choose.

What's the matter? Afraid you wouldn't get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

magpie wrote:
    Merely that people be given an opportunity to choose.

I think you answered your own question...
    magpie wrote:
    Boards isn't a democracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

magpie wrote:
    Woo and Gandalf are mods.

Why the need to vote for a mod? When a new forum is suggested some people often suggest who they think would be the best mod. At the end of the day it is up to the Admins to decide.

I think you answered your own question...

Erm, no. I was talking about the Admins there, who if they so desired for their own amusement in an act of panem et circenses could allow us to elect Mods, who are lesser beings.

even if there was a vote, most people would vote for the mods that are there already cos they are doing a good job as it is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There'd be no point. None of the mods would bother their arse "campaigning". I know I wouldn't. If anyone knew what a moderator had to do, they'd have more sense than to waste their time campaiging the bunch of monkeys they're going to have to moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

magpie wrote:
    Sorry guys, despite your fevered mantras of 'muppet', this is a straightforward suggestion, and surely one that can be debated?

You'll notice I'm not suggesting any Mod be 'demoted'. Merely that people be given an opportunity to choose.

people are given the opportunity to choose the government and looked how it turned out.

people can suggest a moderator when a board is being created or if a moderator either misbehaves or chooses to resign, but the final decision is up to the ones who are going to be spending the cashola on the site to be honest. that being the admins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I believe that the Admins have a say on who gets to be Mod and as they own this site I don't see that changing any time soon....
    but thanks for playing

yes Gandie
    clear

Woo and Gandalf are mods.

Exactly, and they were the first to try and crush the suggestion. Surely they should be sufficiently confident of their abilities and the good trust they have built up in their capacities as Mods to ensure election.

Or would all the people who they scream 'muppet' at just for disagreeing with them vote against them?

Perhaps we shall never know.

do you want to be a mod??? is that whats its all about is it???

I believe that the Admins have a say on who gets to be Mod
    the final decision is up to the ones who are going to be spending the cashola on the site to be honest. that being the admins.

Yes, I was aware of that.

This is why I am suggesting the possibility of 'elections' in the Feedback thread for them to ponder.

do you want to be a mod??? is that whats its all about is it???

No, I can categorically say I wouldn't be putting myself forward for election as a mod. From what you all say it is very, very hard work, and I don't have the time.

However I'm sure there are lots of other people who would put themselves forward.

ok so which forum would you put up for election first then?*

*this place is getting to be like big brother

woosaysdan you have been evicted from your moderator status

None of the mods would bother their arse "campaigning". I know I wouldn't. If anyone knew what a moderator had to do, they'd have more sense than to waste their time campaiging the bunch of monkeys they're going to have to moderate.

So why are you all so tetchy about the suggestion of elections?

wouldnt it just be easier to ask beruthiel to lift your ban from PI?

ok so which forum would you put up for election first then?*

That wouldn't be up to me, would it? Do it alphabetically I suppose.
    this place is getting to be like big brother

If only you could get a PC that spoke in a Geordie accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My first question would be: WHY?

Boards works well enough as it is. As you said yourself, it would be a pain in the arse to organise, and the only potential benefit you can put forward is "it would be a laugh". Hardly a plea we can't ignore...

• Advertisement

wouldnt it just be easier to ask beruthiel to lift your ban from PI?

Erm, no. This is an unrelated issue.

as i said before and ill say again
    a mod is there cos they are trusted by the admins to do a good job!!! and its going to take more than one muppet to get them removed!!!
    give up while there is still a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

magpie wrote:
    So why are you all so tetchy about the suggestion of elections?
    I'm not tetchy at all. Why are you so defensive?

My first question would be: WHY?

To give the loyal users of the site at least the illusion of having some input into how it's run.

And it would be something different, interesting and potentially challenging.

magpie wrote:
    Erm, no. This is an unrelated issue.

I don't see how it is unrelated. You have a problem with a moderator in the personal issues forum, like you said in the other forum making a big bru ha ha about it rather than PM'ing the moderator is more fun.
    To give the loyal users of the site at least the illusion of having some input into how it's run.

http://www.boards.ie/wiki

all you need to know about how boards is run.

I'm not tetchy at all. Why are you so defensive?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Every mod is elected by admins. We use a 'one man, one vote' system. I'm often that man, and I have that vote.

ok picture this, someone gets banned for posting crap in a forum, mod bans that person, and that person puts the mod up for election??? yes i can see this working really well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Users have every input into this site. However, the suggestions are implemented on merit alone. Well made points and argument will work - rabble rousing won't :)

• Advertisement

Regi wrote:
    Every mod is elected by admins. We use a 'one man, one vote' system. I'm often that man, and I have that vote.

see mods ARE elected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement