Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have been defrauded on Ebay

Options
  • 26-11-2004 4:02pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

I am looking for advice looks like i have been had on an ebay auction for €400 the seller seems to have done a runner and mails are now getting returned to me undelivered. I have lodged a complaint with paypal and ebay what are the chances of getting my money back. Also i am going to get onto Visa and see if they can do anything for me.

Any advice would be so helpful,
    Thanks
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

We need more info!

How did you pay?

Who was the seller on ebay? What was his rating?

What were you buying?

When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Can you post the auction so we can have a look? I don't think Ebay are that good at helping you out in this situation, they just do whatever they can to cover their ass. Try your credit card company to see if they can reverse the charge, but seeing as it's from paypal this probably can't be done. Can paypal just reverse the charge in this case. I've been done a few times on ebay but each time it was fraud goods and I got my money back. I left neg feedback and they gave me the cash back to have the feedback removed. I got my cash back but it left me with no confidence in the feedback system.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Paid via Pay Pal

Buying a mobile phone

New Buyer on pal but replied to all mails during the auction

Paid for the goods yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I almost got ripped off myself before but luckily in the end i didnt..i tend to mostly avoid ebay thesedays,too many fakes,horror stories like your own TCP/IP i really dont know what your chances are of getting your money back,ive heard of a few people who have been ripped in the past but dunno whether they got their money back or not..hope you get yours back.......

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i have just got onto AIB and after 30days i can claim they say 9/10 times you get your money back so that is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What'll most likely happen is Paypal will refund you a token amount, say $40, and tell you you aren't covered for the rest.

If (I should say when!) they do, contact your bank or credit card issuer and they'll process a claim for you and refund you the money.

Of course, after this, Paypal won't like you, will give you all sorts of hassle, but at least you got your money back at that point. See Paypal can't take the money back off the other person, so they end up losing out as your Visa will take the money back off them. (At least, that's what happened with us)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never had this problem because I'm not an eBayer, but from watching these kind of situations, and presuming the money from Paypal was transferred from your credit card, my advice would be to use the eBay and Paypal complaints process, but specifically tell them that if you don't get results within $n days (I'd suggest 5) you'll be contacting your bank about charging the amount back to your card. It might spur them int action, because all merchants prefer to avoid chargebacks. If the money came from another source (payments, for eg), I guess you're at the whim of the Paypal/eBay system. :(

That's two instances of eBay fraud reported on Boards in as many months btw, although it has to be said that at least one incident (the other one, don't know enough about this one) had a lot to do with a high level of naivete on the buyers part. Makes you wonder if there's a high level of growth in eBay fraud or if it's just coincidental.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

TCP/IP wrote:
    i have just got onto AIB and after 30days i can claim they say 9/10 times you get your money back so that is ok

Good to hear..if you do use ebay again check the users feedback thouroughly..... ;)

Nah there is a huge level of fraud on ebay, they dont seem to cars about it either as long as they get their cut. As for the buyer beware, they are told the feedback system is a good way to judge a seller but as I've said before, negative feedback can be removed easily.

So can we see the auction page dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

How can negative feedback be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'm currently going through the payment protection procedure with Ebay to try and get my money back for some faulty goods I received. Can take some time to get resolved and there's a limit on how much you can get back - just over a 100 sterling, I believe.

The seller enter the square trade mediation process, once the buyer has been refunded his money and is happy then ebay removes the negative feedback. This means that the seller keeps on selling counterfeit goods, ebay knows this but doesn't care. So someone else sees an item they want to buy, doesn't think it's fake and checks the sellers feedback which is all positive so believes it's a good seller. One guy I bought a counterfeit North Face item from took a month to refund me the money, said he was on holidays and couldn't do it until he returned home. I refused to allow ebay to remove the feedback until I got everything I paid out back plus a little payment for my troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pity Square Trade COSTS YOU!
    tcp/ip you paid yesterday and you're worried already? Maybe the guy genuinely is having email problems, sometimes mails bounce!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I have to laugh at people who use E-BAY and then wonder why they have been ripped off. What % of the goods that you buy on E-BAY are either copies, stolen or not as described? I would only buy if I could see and check the goods before parting with the cash. Why people send cash to somebody they don't know, for goods they haven't seen is totally beyond me.
    Doesn't matter what rating the seller has as you can set up false accounts and rate yourself or get your mates to rate you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

I sell stuff on EBay and have never sold anything that is stolen/counterfeit/copied. Everything I sell is 100% genuine and in most cases brand new and unused.

If I sell something used then it is marked as such and its current state described exactly.

Not everyone on Ebay is a scammer.

I also sell stuff on ebay and it's always described as it is. But it is an easy way for bad people to rip others off. As for yer man a few posts up, you can't rate yourself, and how many of your mates are going to rate you? It'll end up costing you a load in sellers fees. Do you even know how ebay works?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

FX Meister wrote:
    Do you even know how ebay works?
    he obviously doesn't, or he wouldn't have just made an arse of himself tryign to pretend he know's whats going on.

I use ebay a lot, and I've never had any problems.

if someone has a low feedback then steer clear, period. you're chances of getting ripped off will go down exponentially as you stick with reliable sellers and avoid poeple with low or zero feedback.

check feedback thoroughly.

if someone has feedback of 100 selling womens fashions then comes up with a sale for a 50" plasma screen and wants you to send the money by western union then steer clear, someone may have nicked his account. go buy it off someone else.

if you see something exceptionally cheap from someone with a low rating then ignore them. it's that cheap for a reason. mainly because nobody experienced will touch them. go buy it off someone else with a decent rating at a decent price.

Advertisement