Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking cpu

Options
  • 26-11-2004 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

anyone know if i can overclock my cpu its a pentium 4 3.06ghz with ht support and if i can how?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

is it a dell or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Most/All large manufactures like DELL, HP, ACER and IBM lock the FSB on there MB; it’s only really an option if you get a motherboard that was not supplied with the Machine. Note if you bought it from komplett, jaguar or built it yourself then you will be able to overclock:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 moonser

does antone think that it is a good idea to overclock an athlon 3200+.
    only askin cause of heat issues that occur.
    and id there a windows thats reckognises a 64 bit chip yet or is there a patch or anything

moonser wrote:
    does antone think that it is a good idea to overclock an athlon 3200+.
    only askin cause of heat issues that occur.
    and id there a windows thats reckognises a 64 bit chip yet or is there a patch or anything

Yes you need good cooling for OC.
    There is a full 64bit version of windows.

Its a good idea to OC if ya want to, Or you think you need to. i dout you need to OC that chip but some people just like to (push up there BM's).

do u no for example where one may be able to get it and "pay" them at a later date.
    possibly wehre it is available to download

• Advertisement

moonser wrote:
    do u no for example where one may be able to get it and "pay" them at a later date.
    possibly wehre it is available to download

Sorry man, this board is just for legal posts!! Cant tell you where you might D/L it or PAY for it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jessy wrote:
    Yes you need good cooling for OC.
    There is a full 64bit version of windows.

Its a good idea to OC if ya want to, Or you think you need to. i dout you need to OC that chip but some people just like to (push up there BM's).
    There isnt a full version of 64bit windows, unless u have an itanium cpu. Windows XP X-64 edition (for amds) is in pre release stage and wont be released till some time next year, not advisable to use this version as your main OS as drivers for various hardware isnt available or in beta stage and some major bugs in the OS still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

astrofool wrote:
    is it a dell or not ?

LOL sounds like there ad on TV " Buy a Dell xxx with Ht technolgy " ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

astrofool wrote:
    is it a dell or not ?
    yes its a dell 4600 but i had to get the mother board replaced by dell the original board went bang,but they got some company in ballymount to replace it.would the replacement board overclock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what is it?! we can't see inside you computer from teh intarweb.

• Advertisement

jessy wrote:
    Sorry man, this board is just for legal posts!! Cant tell you where you might D/L it or PAY for it later.

sorry man tried to say it in a round about way but you really cant sry bout that knida guessed that that would happen.
    if its in pre release it will be at least a year and a half before i would "buy" it.
    also the amount of bugs that are in the first release are phenominal

quarryman wrote:
    what is it?! we can't see inside you computer from teh intarweb.
    so true, we need info here, make and model of mobo, what ram your using , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Use CPU-Z to get CPU, RAM and Motherboard info

Dempsey wrote:
    Use CPU-Z to get CPU, RAM and Motherboard info
    thanks i did,nt know how to check my make and model of mobo i,ll check it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

dixsey wrote:
    thanks i did,nt know how to check my make and model of mobo i,ll check it now

Well then you should not even attempt to overclock your "dell"- You probally do not have the option to overclock the system, it's a Dell-Hp thing - if you really did want to do you should have built your own

Mac daddy wrote:
    Well then you should not even attempt to overclock your "dell"- You probally do not have the option to overclock the system, it's a Dell-Hp thing - if you really did want to do you should have built your own
    would replacing the mobo allow me to oc the cpu or is my processor not overclockable?

Yes replacing the mobo will allow you to overclock, all processors are overclockable

gline wrote:
    Yes replacing the mobo will allow you to overclock, all processors are overclockable
    Depends, I would imagine that they put a dell motherboard back in there. In which case the FSB probably is still be locked.

which is why i said if he replaces the mobo he should be able to oc, if he buys a decent enuf mobo for it he should be able to oc (also depending on the ram aswell)

but every chip has the potential to be overclocked with the right tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I thought Dell's casing is tailored to their mobo. Any other mobo wont be able to fit in the case, if I am not mistaken?

• Advertisement

dont kno. Lets be honest here, if u wana overclock dont buy a dell anyway, need to know wat mobo they replaced it with,

is the cpu 533mhz bus?? if it is , are u sellin it?? LOL, im lookin for a p4 533mhz bus for a mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

gline wrote:
    dont kno. Lets be honest here, if u wana overclock dont buy a dell anyway, need to know wat mobo they replaced it with

True that :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dixsey wrote:
    yes its a dell 4600 but i had to get the mother board replaced by dell the original board went bang,but they got some company in ballymount to replace it.would the replacement board overclock ?
    Betcha it still says Dell when it starts up - because they would have used Dell parts. It makes sense for the big manu's to lock their motherboards - stops people pushing their pc's past the limit and the then ringing up for support... Motherboards on the other are usually sold to people who have more of a inkling of what they are doing so are usually more customisible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Surely this is an open and shut case, he shouldn't try to OC if he hasn't the basic knowledge, regardless of system. Learn first, build second, OC later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Well, know what can be overclocked(e.g. Dells and alot of other pc manufacturers are virtually impossible). I got the parts first then went about trying to learn to overclock. Its like riding a bicycle.

Some manufactured pcs (dell, Hp etc) can be overclocked, i remeber reading a doc on this before, there is a program u can get to change the clock speed etc, only with certain mobo's they use though,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some manufactured pcs (dell, Hp etc) can be overclocked, i remeber reading a doc on this before, there is a program u can get to change the clock speed etc, only with certain mobo's they use though,

Not much use without a pci/agp lock which they don't have either.

BloodBath

Well in that doc, they were getting up to 200mhz extra, not to bad for a dell , :D

the info i got for my mobo is model on2828 chipset intel i865p/pe/g/i848p rev.a2

• Advertisement
Advertisement