Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan At My Cafe

Options
  • 26-11-2004 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Is There Anyone who want to have a lan Game? I have 10 computers at my cafe and you could also bring you own if you want, I have a hub that can take 32 so anyone up for it? Well lets see who replays to this and then I can Make a date.
    The cafe is in dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Where be the cafe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭General Valdez

In dublin.

Yeah id be interested then

Okay We Will see how many more people want to come then i will make a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,215 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hrm.. a little off topic but... a hub?! Are you insane? For a lan? Do you have any idea how much a hub would push up the latency? A hub sends all the data going back and forth over the network to each port on the hub, ie every computer, then it's disgarded for pcs it wasn't meant for. This would mean that:
    A) Access times would be slower and
    B) One hell of a large collision domain, ie files bouncing off eachother, creating errors and downing the network for a minute or two...

That's a bad idea, seriously. Get a switch, it has software which routes the data to the pc it's meant for, and not everything that's connected to all of the ports on the switch, unlike a hub.

• Advertisement

wow, your great. you think I am stupid? I know all about networks and how they work, I was just making a point that I can hook up to enough PCs. and why the hack would you post off topic?

It just seems crazy to me to host a gaming lan on a network with it's primary networking media being a hub... that's push up the latency... and ping... for most of the users, that's all.

Look your taking my topic off topic so please stop, I have a router connected to a hub the router can take 32 wired and 32 wireless,God I own a internet cafe I would no Somthing About networks considering i did it all myself do you understand?

Yes but you're still extending the collision domain by using a hub in the first place. Anyways what kind of games would you have installed on the pcs there? Specs etc?

All The PC Are P4 2.6ghz 512mb of RaM Geforce FX 5200 128mb graphic cards in them, Games battlefield 1942,DC,Battlefield Vietnam, Call of Duty, soldner, hidden a dangoures 2 and many more, you have any you want to play i can get any game.

• Advertisement

Sounds good... what about counter strike source?

*edit* What kind of price would you be looking at?

I can get Source but 40 euros a pop a game seems alot, i hate steam. And price? what do you mean price? this is FREE I am inviting anyone.

Free? Excellent... tbh i'm ****e at most FPS games so i'd just be the 'n00b target' so to speak... but still should be fun. Where exactly in dublin is the café located? Is there any chance of at least getting Counter Strike 1.6 then? And yes... i hate steam too, join the club, it's not very popular but needed now unfortunatly.

Posted in wrong forum. Sorry.

what 5 euro fee, whatever your smoking you need to let it go, there is no fee it is FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE , do you understand?

Lol sorry posted in the wrong forum. As i said any chance of getting counter strike? Not source... 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

A switch is the obvious preferance over a hub, for obvious nerdy reasons. Unless the hub in question is actually a switch. I dont think they actually sell Hubs anymore, or well I havnt seen one on sale in a long time.

Im sure there are many people here who would be quite interested in having a nice fun all night session. Reminds me of the many nights spend in dNC playing games back in the days.

You can btw easily make lan nights a more regular thing and make a bit of spondoolies out of it. Who knows, if i finish all this coding for the tig site i may even pop my head in the door. If i even knew where it is...

look it is a swicth. now for the love of God Please stay On topic. you all must think im I am stupid. I didnt waste my breathe to go in detail about the setup I have Here. but now I guess I got to I got, the swicth is a dell power conection 2016 I have to of those and a dell truemobile 2300 router. the routher can take up to 32 pc maybe more not sure. yeah and winters I would look forward to you coming down here, And one lat thing a hub/swicth I think americans always have the 2 mixed up.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

okay okay everyone relax and lets get back to business. ;)
    Lan sounds good to me Val, but can we get a date for it? just so i caqn make sure im not in work for it. Get the rest of the clan to go and anyone else who wants to come, could be a good laugh. Count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Where aboots in dub is this cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Northside. Its about 10 or 15 minutes away from the Connolly Train Station. Easy to get there.
    To find North Strand Road, go here
    You go along North Strand Road, and @ the 2nd bridge over a canal (the bridge also goes over a railway line), you take a right. You then go down the road (parrell to the railway/canal), under a railway bridge, and keep going a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

mmmm, would be nice if had a Date, prefarably 10th or after. Was gonna get pissed durin that week, mainly tues 14th -16th so would rather not those dates though. Sooner the better though. Tests etc in early Jan, maybe some ppl got tests late jan. Any chance of a window seat :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So any eta on the date then? Is the cafe the oconnell site side of the canal or the far side? Any chance of a map with the exact location marked on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ciaranfo wrote:
    So any eta on the date then? Is the cafe the oconnell site side of the canal or the far side? Any chance of a map with the exact location marked on it?
    Its on the north side, and on the other side of the canal.

To my knowledge, X marks the spot(on the map). You go down a side road to reach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

cool map syco,i know where it is now...lol.

might make an apearance myself :D

Is is near the old bowling alley and the laser dome?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I take it I'm going to the red x on the map?
    Ain't been to a lap in a long time,
    might ditch the mates for a night to go there ;)
    suppose yea cna count me up,
    are we getting a date sorted or is it depending on people going?
    kinda skipped through this won't be bringing me pc, so I guess the ones there are decent nuff to run bf?

Yeah All the PCs at the cafe are good enough to run BFV. I still havent got a date, anyone have a suggestion on the date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

how about saturday the 18th?

Advertisement