Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

donaghs wrote: »
    I think we can agree that there's nothing wrong with some "new people", moving into an area, but its better if they help integrate and participate in the community.

Its sad when you have to leave to place you grew up, but thats what most people do when they get to a certain age and go looking for work and there first home away from home. In terms of buying your first place, how many Dubliners can afford to buy their first house near the street where they grew up? What about all the people who grew up in D4, D6, Blackrock, Stillorgan, Clontarf? Why can't they live where they grew up? I would say whole streets in these areas are "ethnically cleansed" once the parents move or die. The children can't afford to buy there, so some wealthier outsider steps in and buys up the property. They were saying the same thing in Ringsend years ago - but being in D4 right beside town they couldn't hold back the tide of "new people". If you think house prices have gone up in East Wall you should have a look at other parts of Dublin. Its nice to have continuity of a community, but is it a right?

I get your point but if local people can't afford to buy into areas like east wall - where do you suggest they move or find a house they can afford:confused:
    And as for social and affordable housing - them UNITS are given out to anyone on the housing list - from anywhere on a needs basis which includes people from D4, D6, Blackrock, Stillorgan, Clontarf - where the scheme also applies - it is just that the developments in these areas buy their way out of the scheme by buying units elsewhere or giving cash instead:mad:

I still stand by what I said in previous posts most of the people moving in and complaining about the AREA they live in do NOTHING in the community for the COMMUNITY - and thats that. No point in putting people or places down is it?? If the want to improve their AREA why don't they get involved with the LOCALS and participate in THEIR new COMMUNITY??;)

I do know that in Ringsend they have a housing association that has built new affordable houses for locals. I think it was peculiar to Dublin. I think the place where they built them was in a side street called 'Fairview something' across from the new library, not to be mixed up with the suburb of the same name!

Somebody here might know more, it's a pity East Wall didn't copy this.

East Wall - North Wall and Sherrif street along with ringsend are part of the DOCKLANDS which will have something like 90,000 to 100,000 new UNITS built over a ten year period - at this rate there should be nearly 20,000 social and affordable houses (mainly appartments so far it has not reached a couple of hundred UNITs - Because the NEW RESIDENTS don't want the LOCALS moving into their GATED community (apartment block) but they are happy enough to move into their locality - if this ain't ethnic cleansing on a CLASS basis WHAT is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

(The situation i highlighted in Ringsend was not part of DDDA but a local housing association setup by locals to build 3bed houses for locals, not the apt blocks nearby.)

I know what your saying Earth Worm Jim, it creates a them and us situation with a gated community surrounded by the older established community with no interaction at all.

The DDDA do have alot to answer for. I think it boils down to money, sell enough units and the council will get its share, with the council end up neglecting the locals who cannot afford to stay in their own area.

Maybe any contributors to the Crosbies Yard thread or to this one on the Lighhouse Apts who are the NEW residents in East Wall can answer Earth Worm Jim's concerns??

gurramok wrote: »
    (The situation i highlighted in Ringsend was not part of DDDA but a local housing association setup by locals to build 3bed houses for locals, not the apt blocks nearby.)

I know what your saying Earth Worm Jim, it creates a them and us situation with a gated community surrounded by the older established community with no interaction at all.

The DDDA do have alot to answer for. I think it boils down to money, sell enough units and the council will get its share, with the council end up neglecting the locals who cannot afford to stay in their own area.

Maybe any contributors to the Crosbies Yard thread or to this one on the Lighhouse Apts who are the NEW residents in East Wall can answer Earth Worm Jim's concerns??

Ringsend is part of the DDDA - the UNITS you talk about are social units which may have being set up and built by the local housing association - but them units are written off by the private developer as part of their social QUOTA - and the money for them units and or the land would have came from the kitty of money the developers provide as part of their get out clause to the 20% requirement.
    I think it boils down to money, sell enough units and the council will get its share

And I have no concerns for myself as I own my own house and have done for 34years - As for people contributing to my concerns "don't bother" I hear it from the horses mouth when I meet with the DDDA - Dublin city council and the Developers - THEY talk the talk but don't walk the walk:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

I get your point but if local people can't afford to buy into areas like east wall - where do you suggest they move or find a house they can afford:confused:

Parts of Donnycarney, Kilbarrack and Donaghmede ares still cheaper than East Wall, and within cycling distance of it.

Further afield most of Coolock Finglas, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, and parts of Clonsilla are cheaper. A bit further out but not as bad as all all the Dubs who commute from places like Navan, Carlow, Maynooth, Drogheda and Portarlington.

donaghs wrote: »
    Parts of Donnycarney, Kilbarrack and Donaghmede ares still cheaper than East Wall, and within cycling distance of it.

Further afield most of Coolock Finglas, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, and parts of Clonsilla are cheaper. A bit further out but not as bad as all all the Dubs who commute from places like Navan, Carlow, Maynooth, Drogheda and Portarlington.

There ain't much difference in the prices of any of them places:confused: and does that not create problems for the locals in them areas hoping to purchase a home??

And as for the dubs that went to Cavan/Navan and the likes, what sort of life are they having sleep/car/work/car/sleep - some of my friends made the move to similar counties and they have no life at all - and worst of all they will never get back to dublin as they couldn't afford it.

At the moment the way the housing market is going it is looking very bad for any owner occupiers that bought in the last couple of years:( negative equity is a killer - saw it in the UK in the 80s and it was crazy:eek:

At the moment half of the new appartments in dublin are empty / unsold - dropping in prices by the day - anyone looking around the docklands can see this - sure all the business's (restaurants/pubs/shops) around the docklands have closed or are closing down - that says a lot about the area at the moment:eek:

• Advertisement

Already closing earth worm jim? Jayzus, i'm shocked at that.

They are building more apt blocks still including the new Point Village down the road and the small businesses due to service them are closing before these blocks are being built?

Sheer madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

There ain't much difference in the prices of any of them places:confused: and does that not create problems for the locals in them areas hoping to purchase a home??

Mao had solution to this for rural Chinese years ago. Each person had to remain in the village where they grew up and work in the local collective farm. Special permission was needed from Party cadres to leave your area.
    And as for the dubs that went to Cavan/Navan and the likes, what sort of life are they having sleep/car/work/car/sleep - some of my friends made the move to similar counties and they have no life at all - and worst of all they will never get back to dublin as they couldn't afford it.

How should this entitlement to live where you grew up be implemented?

merrionsq wrote: »
    Mao had solution to this for rural Chinese years ago. Each person had to remain in the village where they grew up and work in the local collective farm. Special permission was needed from Party cadres to leave your area.

AFAIK - the chinese are forcefully evicting LOCAL people from their HOMES at the moment to make way for more CLASSY developments and high rise appartments - seems familar:rolleyes:

How should this entitlement to live where you grew up be implemented?

Social and Affordable Housing ran properly in all parts of the country including the likes of D4 - Dalkey - Killiney and the like??:rolleyes:
    gurramok wrote: »
    Already closing earth worm jim? Jayzus, i'm shocked at that.

They are building more apt blocks still including the new Point Village down the road and the small businesses due to service them are closing before these blocks are being built?

Sheer madness!

Here is a list of just a few that are closed as in doors shut closed- the Excise Inn - the Florist - the Zap Steakhouse - the phone shop - Biz Mart - all said to be in prime areas - 2grand is the lowest weekly rent/lease in this area - and as for the new Shopping Mall in the Custom House HQ set to Rival Dundrum = It is like a ghost town:confused:

EWJ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'm hoping to move into East Wall, Island Key, by the end of the year.

I intend to get involved in the community.

Anyone else buying in Island Key?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Nobody said anything about disliking them (the New Residents) they are the ones complaining about everything and everyone! While doing jack about it!

Also if you knew anything about the area you would know that them kids riding their scramblers HAD a track to GO on but it was taken away for development?? And my mother is one of them eldery people and she has never had any sort of abuse or harrasment - My grandmother who lived in East Wall for over 50 years or more never had a bother - the kid's used to look after her - doing her garden and going to the shops for her - People who move into an area that has families have to expect KIDS hanging around if there is nothing else for them to do - What do you expect the kids to do stay in and not go out??

And nobody said the anti-social behaviour was the fault of the NEW PEOPLE - we have lived with it for years - they move in and complain about it while doing jack sh!t about it??:(

The old boy's school will be a state of the art community centre and about 30yrs too late but at least its there now - And Paddy the butcher has been great in the community for years - the NEW RESIDENTS wouldn't even know who he was??:confused:

Does Ken still have the Barbers above the butchers.
    Used to call it Ken The Butcher and Paddy the Barber.
    Might as well have been that way around Paddy woulda done a better job.

Every Year the terry fox run!!!

Great Place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭homer1916

I am buying in Island key? What you buy? What do you think of the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

[/QUOTE]
    and as for the new Shopping Mall in the Custom House HQ set to Rival Dundrum = It is like a ghost town:confused:

EWJ[/QUOTE]

Is that the new shops in the CHQ on the quays? I've been through there a fe times on the way home from work and there's never more than a handful of people in there. Only have of the building is occupied, there's lots of empty stores and the ones that are there are very expensive. I went looking at dresses in one shop, they were nice but they were all €200 - €500 .... seems a bit crazy. You would've thought they'd put something more useful in for people who are living in the new apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

me and my gf bought in island key, east road. due to move in in august. Very excited but a bit worried by stories about the location and sheriff st but when we have been to look at the progress its always seemed grand..a little like a ghost town but with the luas, spencer dock, point village, lots more apartments then surely we cant go wrong! Hopefully in a couple of years it will be lovely area...fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

I just moved into the area and wanted to ask if there is any butchers and groceries around?

me and my gf bought in island key, east road. due to move in in august. Very excited but a bit worried by stories about the location and sheriff st but when we have been to look at the progress its always seemed grand..a little like a ghost town but with the luas, spencer dock, point village, lots more apartments then surely we cant go wrong! Hopefully in a couple of years it will be lovely area...fingers crossed!

Hopefully in a few years it will be a lovely area?? Why did you buy into an area that isn't up to your standards?? The opposite is more than likely going to happen they build block after block of apartments while providing nothing for the community/kids/old folks and you think it will hopefully turn into a lovely area - it always was a lovely area - the new gated developments will be the downfall of this lovely area!

I read the brochure for the Island Key development - it sounds lovely - wondered where it was - only to realize it was the old haulage yard on one of the most congested and cramped part of east wall - the social units right beside it are twice as nice as these private appartments - that road is a carpark all day - its amazing what these PR guys can do with a fancy web site and some glossy mags! Have a look OO> http://ellen.ie/islandkey/index.html - I don't mean to frighten you but the majority of apartments in this area are lying idle - only this week a well known property developer was trying to off load some of his unsold apartments on the hush hush - whole apartment blocks are standing empty?? New developments have only half the apartments occupied. Some of the new residents can see this as they have empty appartments next door??

As a local who grew up in the area I can tell you will fit in and wish you well with your move - moving into a community with your attitude is the way to go - learn about the area by getting involved in the community - the locals will respect you more if you do - and after all its for the benefit of everyone - only thing I would say to you is you should have bought a house (one of the old houses) much better value.
    Hopefully in a couple of years it will be lovely area...fingers crossed!
    The community welcomes all the new people - but you come into an area and do jack sh!t but put the locals and the community down - do you expect to be welcomed with open arms??:confused:And while I may sound anti development - I am not and the community is not - we welcome new people to the area - go to a committee meeting and see for yourself - we are against bad planning and massive over development without proper structures in place like schools/community centers/playgrounds etc - this is for the benefit of everyone both present and new residents -

Some people that move in to their gated apartments think that because they live behind a gate and have a roof top garden or nice resident communal area don't need to mix with the locals or get involved with the community are exactly the same people that will moan and complain about the very same area they chose to live in??:confused:

I just moved into the area and wanted to ask if there is any butchers and groceries around?

there are lots of local amenities - as stated on a couple of other posts Paddy the butcher would be the main man for meat - he is right next door to the post office on church rd - the post mistress is Anne and very helpful too - you could ask these two anything you need to know within reason and they will be happy to help you.

homer1916 wrote: »
    I am buying in Island key? What you buy? What do you think of the location?

You could get involved with the community by asking parents not to swear at their children. Or ask the kids on Church St to stop hassling people outside the new Centra. But in fairness I agree with the last person that East Wall has been improving ever since the early 80s when people began buying houses back form the Corpo.

In fairness it is a nice area, but there a lot of anti-social stuff you don't get other places that needs clearing up.

Unless you take a Bill Cullenesque view of a rose-tinted old Dublin, all together now, "Ring a ring rosy, as the light declines...."

You could get involved with the community by asking parents not to swear at their children. Or ask the kids on Church St to stop hassling people outside the new Centra. But in fairness I agree with the last person that East Wall has been improving ever since the early 80s when people began buying houses back form the Corpo.

In fairness it is a nice area, but there a lot of anti-social stuff you don't get other places that needs clearing up.

Unless you take a Bill Cullenesque view of a rose-tinted old Dublin, all together now, "Ring a ring rosy, as the light declines...."

So you recon this anti social stuff is confined to the likes of east wall??:confused: Do we not have anti social behaviour in D4 and the likes?? Anti-social behaviour happens everywhere - community spirit and cooperation stamps this out and highlights the problems and problem makers!

And seeing as you seem to live or work in the area but aspire to live in merrionsq - what made you buy or work in the area?? And as for kids hassling people outside the centre on CHURCH ROAD! did this happen to you? did you see it happen?? what did you do about it??? did you interven???? did you call the police????:confused:

Answer to these questions is more than likely NO! so who do you suggest sorts these issues you have out?? ME! I will bring it up at the next policing board meeting and community meeting - just for you!

Also as for parents swearing at their kids - if this is so much of an issue for you why don't you tell these parents how to rear thier kids?? I have never seen anything like what your talking about and I work with the schools - youth clubs and football clubs in East Wall, North Wall and Sheriff Street - most of the kids are great and the parents are doing more than their best and most are very involved with their community. Just read the local news letter or the Docklands News to see what some of the local kids are accieving these days - the schools and communities are doing a wonderful job of reversing the cycle of what went before - BUT OF COURSE YOU CAN NOT SEE THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED IN THE COMMUNITY! ENJOY YOUR GATED COMMUNITY:D:D:D

And as for Bill Cullen and his view of Dublin - My father grew up in Summerhill from where Cullen reminisces about so well - Bill Cullen forgets where he came from - it’s very well saying he came from rags to riches and all that - he was lucky - but he put SFA back into the area he began his life in! NOTHING. Correct me if I am wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

when i said i hope it to become a lovely area i wasnt tryin to slag the people that are involved with the positive side of the community - I realise there are bad eggs in every area but all i meant was when i tell people im moving to east wall i get a negative reaction - this is because of its reputation. I dont judge anywhere until i go there and see it for myself but im told sherif st is the worst road in dublin (by so many different people) and east wall is in the middle of regeneration...if its always been nice why are they regenerating it?! And when they build apartments it brings more people (mainly young proffessionals), more business, more money....when the luas is in east wall will be buzzing and become a bigger active part of the docklands living.....ive been down to see the area a few times and its like a ghost town...the new 'gated communities' and the business they bring will change the area for the better....just like it has in ringsend/grand canal. :)

Dmaurice wrote: »
    when I said I hope it to become a lovely area I wasn’t trying to slag the people that are involved with the positive side of the community - I realize there are bad eggs in every area but all I meant was when I tell people im moving to east wall i get a negative reaction - this is because of its reputation. I dont judge anywhere until i go there and see it for myself but im told sheriff st is the worst road in dublin (by so many different people) and east wall is in the middle of regeneration...if its always been nice why are they regenerating it?!
    It always was a nice area - the reason they are REGENERATING the area is because people like yourself are willing to buy apartments off greedy developers thinking you will make a quick buck - and its development not reprogramming the locals to your standards! And why would you buy into an area that has a bad reputation?? What is this REPUTATION - explain please??
    And when they build apartments it brings more people (mainly young proffessionals), more business, more money....when the luas is in east wall will be buzzing and become a bigger active part of the docklands living.....ive been down to see the area a few times and its like a ghost town...the new 'gated communities' and the business they bring will change the area for the better....just like it has in ringsend/grand canal. :)
    And young professionals don't make communities - Families do! - Also the LUAS is not coming to east wall - its going to north wall - its closer to SHERIFF STREET than east wall - and as for the "gated communities" bringing business - well if you own a spar/mace or centra you will make a few quid - but if that’s regeneration - YOU CAN KEEP IT - I would class schools/health centers/youth clubs and play grounds regeneration NOT a SPAR or Wine Bar?? - just so you don't get the wrong end of the stick and think I am just anti-development I will give you some examples :

The last regeneration in the docklands was Clarion Quay - and its a disaster - Ask anyone the lives there - look at the state of the new apartments both private and social after 4-5 yrs - look at the empty retail units - and this is right beside the IFSC and the infamous Sheriff Street - So if you think your apartments in East Wall are going to be the new Oasis or the new place to live in the city you are wrong - you bought into a working class area of the city - a good area with loads of history and community spirit - if that’s not what it said on the tin when you bought it you were miss-led.

And the new apartments sold off the plans for 25k deposit 4 yrs before they built them in Spencer Dock are still valued at what they were worth back then - and they are in a prime location - weres the investment in that - it will be a good while before anyone get a profit out of them let alone Clarion Quay - The light house - Crosbies Yard or Island Quay ETC.

Island Quay looks great on its web site and the brochure is amazing - but it is just another cramped site packed full of apartment blocks that are aimed towards investors hoping to rent them out - this market has being flooded in recent yrs - just look at the amount still for sale at the moment - even the new ones - whole apartment blocks lying idle - have a drive or walk around the area at night and you will see al the empty ones in darkness.

A lot of people think that they have got on the gravy train by purchasing in the docklands and maybe they have but if anyone moving into the area wants to see it improve they can try getting involved and participate in the community they desire to live in so much and not just go home and try to shut the parts of the area or people they disaprove out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know the name of the development that's springing up on the East Road in East Wall? It's the one that's on the same side of the road as the Island Key development but not on the Liffey side. It's right where the new pub (formerly the Wharf Tavern) is.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And as for Bill Cullen and his view of Dublin - My father grew up in Summerhill from where Cullen reminisces about so well - Bill Cullen forgets where he came from - it’s very well saying he came from rags to riches and all that - he was lucky - but he put SFA back into the area he began his life in! NOTHING. Correct me if I am wrong??

Without going into detail as he may not want it publicised, Bill Cullen has repeatedly given quite an amount of support in terms of both time and money to Larkin Community College, Cathal Brugha Street (previously Sean McDermott St. before private apartments :rolleyes:).

Many promised support, but Bill delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QUELES

Hi everyone,
    great reading about all your experiences in East Wall, could you tell me more, we are trying to buy a house in East Wall at the moment and we have two children, we want to make sure is going to be safe for them.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shoutinbob

Queles... Eastwall is fine, we've been there just over 2 years and had little or no trouble, couple of kids playing up on occassion but where don't you get that, but my neighbours are great and have been very welcoming since the day we arrived. So is it safe? As safe as anywhere else i've been.

The reputaion that Eastwall supposedly has is somewhat unfounded, it is no worse than anywhere else that most people who would look for in similar areas like Inchicore, Kilmainham, Drimnagh etc.

I know people who were apprehensive when i told them i was moving there initailly (i still get odd looks from people) but now these same people have been to the area they realised they were wrong. Personally i had no interest in living in an apartment, it seems just a bit too sterile and cut off for me so i bought a house in the area and have never looked back.

As Jim said it is a working class area with 'loads of history and community spirit' and i like it for that, there is no airs or pretence around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berama

Earth Worm Jim, you are very angry and you need to cool it a bit and look at this a bit objectively. You'll frighten people away from having anything to do with the community. I live in East Wall and love it for various reasons but you must admit that it's pretty filthy - dog c**p and litter everywhere and kids flying around on tiny motorbikes. Lots of anti-social behaviour around the local shop and the chinese. And no, this does not happen everywhere - take it from someone who has lived in other areas. It has many advantages though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tomkea

I have been wondering what is happening, or has happened to my old home at 4A. The red-brick houses were 4A and 4B. French's house was 3 and the house I was born in was the one behind that.
    This is something I wrote to someone about old times.
    Yes, there were two red-brick houses together, and to the right, next to McNaughtons Builders Providers entrance that was directly facing Caledon Road, was another house grey cement fronted. The family living there were Mr. and Mrs French, their son Ken and daughters Noelle and Rosamund - they must be the girls you mentioned. We used to play with them even though they went to Barnabas church on the other side of Johnny Cullen's hill. At the time it would have been thought a sin to even look inside that church - which of course we always tried to find out what it looked like inside. The girls were a bit younger than me but hey were good fun - fun meant in the way it was then - not fun as I gather most teenagers think of it present-day. We were very innocent in those days.
    Behind the French's was another small house which was actually inside McNaughtons premises and that was the house in which all of us except my eldest brother were born. At the time he was born Mam and Dad lived in a room (or rooms) on West Road - on the corner as the 53 turned onto East Wall Road to go up towards Annesley Bridge - I think I am the only one who knows that as I don't think the others lapped up the stories in the same way that I used to. Despite what all the modern doctors talk about how children were born, I know for a POSITIVE FACT that they were distributed around East Wall by Nurse Doyle, who brought us in her little black bag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    To get back to the houses the story is that when old man McNaughton started up in the early 1900's my grandfather became his general foreman, I think the family were living in Ringsend at the time. Anyway in 1916 the two redbrick houses were built and although small (two up, two down) they were built in accord with Granddads ideas - actually had an upstairs bathroom, hot and cold water, and an extra loo in the back yard. The family moved in in 1916. I don't quite know the sequence of events but it ended up that we lived in the small house behind my uncle and aunt who at the time were in what became the French's, Nannie and Granddad in the first of the two red houses and another uncle and aunt in the other one - so it was 3 Murphy families and the Keating family in our own little enclave. When Granddad retired in 1941 they moved into a cottage in Celbridge. We moved into Granddads house in May 1941 just before the North Strand was bombed. I don't know how it came about but it was connected with the bombing - the timber at the back of the yard went on fire and I remember looking out the back bedroom window at it for ages.
    The two houses were identical but Aunt Biddie next door had pretensions. So while we had the parlour, kitchen, bathroom, front and back bedrooms, Aunt B had the lemon room, the lavender room, the blue room and the pink room - I'm not sure what she called the lav.
    Funny how memories bring back other memories - if I keep this up I'll be writing my life story.
    Most of the area of East Wall was built on reclaimed and I do remember there was flooding a good few years ago - I was living here in London at the time but I nearly paniced until I managed to phone home and found all was welll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Berama wrote: »
    Earth Worm Jim, you are very angry and you need to cool it a bit and look at this a bit objectively. You'll frighten people away from having anything to do with the community. I live in East Wall and love it for various reasons but you must admit that it's pretty filthy - dog c**p and litter everywhere and kids flying around on tiny motorbikes. Lots of anti-social behaviour around the local shop and the chinese. And no, this does not happen everywhere - take it from someone who has lived in other areas. It has many advantages though.

Earth worm Jim made some very valid points so I really don't see how your patronising tone has any sort of argument to begin with. Is the fact that there was a massive interest in property the past so many years nothing to do with it? Then with the boom getting such good results wouldn't it be a great investment for developers near the point?

People buying in the city centre can think what they want reading a brochure, the marketing can be quite impressive really can't it? People of East Wall have been there years and it's a grand area.

I don't think there's a single area in Dublin I have been in that hasn't got some form of unsuitable transport methods which cause a nuisance for other people. Horses, little mopeds, scramblers, quads and so on. Also I am certain of no area I have been in in Ireland that does not have an anti social element, be it drinking etc etc..... Fair enough there might be roads, even streets without it but that is exactly the same with East Wall.

Jay D wrote: »
    I don't think there's a single area in Dublin I have been in that hasn't got some form of unsuitable transport methods which cause a nuisance for other people. Horses, little mopeds, scramblers, quads and so on. Also I am certain of no area I have been in in Ireland that does not have an anti social element, be it drinking etc etc..... Fair enough there might be roads, even streets without it but that is exactly the same with East Wall.

What, are you out of your mind! Most part of Dublin will NEVER see kids driving motorbikes on the streets or horses running around. You'll only ever see this where there are skanger parents who just couldn't give a sh** about anyone else, and who raised kids who are also less than considerate in their attitude to the rest of society.

The fact that you defend this, simply because it exists in a few places, is sad as well.

I seen plenty of horses running around by Merrion sq last week though they did have some wooden apparatus attached to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

What, are you out of your mind! Most part of Dublin will NEVER see kids driving motorbikes on the streets or horses running around. You'll only ever see this where there are skanger parents who just couldn't give a sh** about anyone else, and who raised kids who are also less than considerate in their attitude to the rest of society.

The fact that you defend this, simply because it exists in a few places, is sad as well.

I don't know what part of loserville you are from but you better off staying there unexposed to reality :D

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »
    I don't know what part of loserville you are from but you better off staying there unexposed to reality :D

Thanks for the friendly insightful post. Its generally better to stick to the topic rather than attack the individual poster.

I don't understand about "unexposed to reality". I've lived in East Wall, and I still pass through it regularly. Similarly, I also travel through parts of Dublin with some of the other problems outlined, e.g. horses. I've never seen a horse in East Wall, but plently of kids on motorbikes flying around.

I don't have some sort of loyalty to an area that I refuse to acknowledge the problems people can see with their own eyes.

As a contrast, take a walk from Stephens Green to Stillorgan, or to Terenure - and count the numbers of kids on motorbikes. You'll be passing through many neighbourhoods to get there.

Maybe its time you came back to your "location: planet earth". :D

Advertisement