Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    Tony and all his badges. Can't believe someone videoed himself taunting and jeering a special needs person who is obviously scared.

His full name is on the comment's of the youtube clip.

Isn't it just fucking sick.

Really I'm lost for words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Scallop

Thanks for the advice as to where the meetings are held.
    As Im newish to the area I will make sure and attend.

However even in light of meetings over the coming days or weeks, something needs to be done for the long term.

I mentioned to friends of mine around 8 months ago that those kids antics were spiralling out of control and something is going to snap. I can see it every week with them.
    Their racist slurs are sickening. I see and hear them hissing their snide remarks and laughing at foreign nationals at least 3 times a week
    A friend drove down to the house one afternoon on his moped.
    The lads ran across from the chinese and tried to force him off his moped to steal it from him in broad daylight.
    This is trivial compared to Sundays events but they are onging incidents nonetheless.

It has to stop
    Only in October did they light a bonfire against the Chinese and bust the gas pipe feeding the shop while people were still inside. It was like a scene from something the US army would cause in the middle east and this is on our doorsteps and 10 or so kids are the root of it all. 5 of them as I mentioned are the rotten core.

Its a disgrace to let this carry on. Garda presence for a week or 2 is not enough.

The area has a wonderful history and a huge sense of community.
    We cant lose it all to these wasters

Heart breaking reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

If it weren't for those pesky kids...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shoutinbob

Its all pretty scary, i've been living there a few years and have had some similar incidents with kids, you can't do a single thing about it, if you do you become a bigger victim. Eastwall is a great place to live but if they just got rid of all those little scumbags hanging around church road by the shops it would be great.. they have no respect for anyone or anything, i've seen young kids giving the gaurds the finger as they drive by, not even bothered by their presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Berama

That is absolutely disgracful about Tony. The poor man and his poor father. the amount of abuse that man gets is shocking. I've said it to a couple of kids before but I won't be going near them again.
    Why are the Gardai not getting any flak over this murder. They were aware of what's going on with Aidan O'Kane. They are also aware of what is going on in the Chinese as the owner gives them all his cctv footage and they do absolutely nothing. Where I grew up the guards were always frisking young teens. Any night my brothers went into town they were frisked. Why is this not happing in East Wall? Are the gardai scared/not interested/what? Those kids are such feckin eejits: they wreck the chinese and yet spend all their money there and it's obviously worth his while financially staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I lived around there for a year or so. I had the same experience of the local garda when the kids tried to rob my motorbike 3 times. Each time I was told, sorry nothing we can do. I just couldn't get my head round it -they were caught on cctv, the garda knew who they were, but all i was told was not to approach them. No wonder they think they are untouchable. Everyone says its the same family - the butcher told me the same thing - so why does nothing happen? Hopefully recent events will mean that no else will have to suffer in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Because nobody could be arsed making the effort, if it happened in their own neighborhood you can bet something would be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thaleus_

There's been an eerie silence in East Wall since Sunday.

I was walking along Moy Elta Road last evening and noticed 3 cars with passenger windows smashed in. 2 cars together and then a third at the end of the road. Normally I'd suspect theft but the third car, a Mondeo, was full of boxes which remained untouched and they'd taken the time to smash both passenger windows and the back windscreen.

I called it in to Store Street (01 6668000). I Don't know if it's intimidation due to that thug being charged with murder yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thaleus_ wrote: »
    There's been an eerie silence in East Wall since Sunday.

I was walking along Moy Elta Road last evening and noticed 3 cars with passenger windows smashed in. 2 cars together and then a third at the end of the road. Normally I'd suspect theft but the third car, a Mondeo, was full of boxes which remained untouched and they'd taken the time to smash both passenger windows and the back windscreen.

I called it in to Store Street (01 6668000). I Don't know if it's intimidation due to that thug being charged with murder yesterday.

Hopefully the cars belong to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

How is an area that's supposed to be in Garda 'lock down' mode full of vandalised cars ? Sounds like they've left the place to it's fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

East Wall and Sherrif Street have being on "Lock Down" since 06, armed response vehicals are in the Area 24/7.. I personaly go through 4 or 5 checkpoints a week and I don't even drive much??
    Yet youths and adults alike have being let sell drugs, carry guns and carry out all sorts of crime and anti-social behaviour with impunity??

there was another house shot up last night, in the Sherrrif Street area, yes the same area thats on lock down?? All this while the place is on lockdown??
    Now if this was happening in Dublin 4 would this be tolerated?? It seems the authourities have just forgot about the place all together??

And AFAIK the young lad who was charged with the east wall murder came from a good family with a long history of community work and were not causing any bother to anyone and he hadn't being in trouble before??, everythings just gone a little crazy, where did they get the gun?

The whole innercity is like a ghost town since the other night, which makes the area feel dead, I think people are just totaly shocked and sickened by what happened, hopefuly the investigation and quick arrests in this case will send out a message to these so called gang members and all people causing grief for the community, a message that says "this will not be tolerated" and hopefuly the guards will back such a stance up!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

East Wall and Sherrif Street have being on "Lock Down" since 06, armed response vehicals are in the Area 24/7
    I regularly park in Sheriff Street (as it's free of charge) and usually walk along Lower Sheriff Street and have never seen anything other than a couple of Gardai on foot patrol and the occasional Garda motorcycle. I've never seen any ERU presence (although, in saying that, I'm never there at night).

I regularly park in Sheriff Street (as it's free of charge) and usually walk along Lower Sheriff Street and have never seen anything other than a couple of Gardai on foot patrol and the occasional Garda motorcycle. I've never seen any ERU presence (although, in saying that, I'm never there at night).

From what i've heard there's open dealing going on on Canon Lillis avenue and the cops cant or dont stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭pallepille

I too have been subject to some abuse from those lads. Beforehand it just seemed like idle chat, a bit of slagging etc. Just last week their tone appeared to change. One of them stood up to me and I was taken aback at first but now I realise how lucky I was to have laughed it off. I feel appalled at what has happened to that poor man and I feel so sorry for his family.

livin there a while and the exact same thing happened to me, me and my mate goin to the centra walkin past a group of them and 1 one of them knocked into me with his shoulder, i pushed him away and told him to fcuk off (he was bout 17 but too small for me to hit him)............then when we wre goin past again they were asking could we get them coke hahaha. could have been worse though obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Clarity_Process

The sad truth is that the cops know who does be involved in all of this behaviour in the majority of areas. It's not just the East Wall which is suffering from this, or even Limerick of Dublin, this type of intimidating and dangerous behaviour is replicated across the country.

One case in point, a friend of mine moved down to Portlaoise last year and even down there gangs of youths roam the streets at night causing harm, throwing bricks at passing cars, etc. on the main road outside one well-known estate. Dealing is quiet openly done in the streets, with punters coming down in their cars to the dealer's house and talking to them through the passenger window.

Garda lock down me hole. All they need to do is start prosecuting these scumbags, but then the government don't have enough jail space. Bring back internment I say, put them in a new Curragh camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Begs wrote: »
    I lived around there for a year or so. I had the same experience of the local garda when the kids tried to rob my motorbike 3 times. Each time I was told, sorry nothing we can do. I just couldn't get my head round it -they were caught on cctv, the garda knew who they were, but all i was told was not to approach them. No wonder they think they are untouchable. Everyone says its the same family - the butcher told me the same thing - so why does nothing happen? Hopefully recent events will mean that no else will have to suffer in future.

The Garda don't do anything cos you're only Begs from East Wall. If you were TD Begs, Judge Begs, Gerry Ryan, Barrister Begs, Garda Begs or Someone Important Begs the Garda would have all the little ****s arrested by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shoutinbob

I see Dick Roche was held up at gun point today at his golf club, maybe they will take some sort of action now that one of their own were finally affected by gun crime.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnaugbaugb/

Knowing how policing selectivness works for different people for different crimes you can be sure this one will be investigated to the end a) because it was a minister and b) it happened at a golf club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thaleus_

Walking into work Today passed a Van with back windscreen smashed on corner of Marys road and Church road (near Debbies).

The kids are back out in force in East Wall although they're steering clear of the laneway and Shelmalier Road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thaleus_ wrote: »
    Walking into work Today passed a Van with back windscreen smashed on corner of Marys road and Church road (near Debbies).

The kids are back out in force in East Wall although they're steering clear of the laneway and Shelmalier Road.

I'm surprised as I was down that way on monday (at a music thingy in the Credit Union Hall...oh the glamour!) and the place had a lot of Garda doing a bit of community policing (not their strong point but what exactly is tha Garda's strong point!?). I counted 4 rambling and chatting. Things seamed a lot less thretening than it has occassionally been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 undergroundwire

Having spent my two years living in East Wall so far being abused as a faggot, a queer and everything in between (apparently having neck-length hair and wearing skinny jeans makes you gay around Church Road), having fireworks lashed at me by passing kids, and one one occassion two glass bottles hurled at me as soon as I left my house I can honestly say I expected some improvement after the recent murder. Sure enough, the Centra is no longer a no-go area, and I haven't had any missile attacks from the child soldiers, but the verbal abuse still continues. I know it's an ingrained social problem, an intolerance to perceived outsiders, but having been raised in working class areas all my life, and having attended one of Dublin's roughest primary schools I have never once thought it was remotely acceptable to abuse, intimidate, or attack any individual on a street. Playing football in Ringsend flats as a kid it would never so much cross my mind as to want to abuse anybody for being a "faggot", for the straight up fear that the other person is three times my size and would clatter me across the head if nothing else. Where the kids around East Wall are learning that it's an acceptable pasttime from I don't know, but if it continues to go unaddressed this area is going to go from bad to worse.

I imagine it is, in fact, the strong sense of community that makes racist, homophobic, and xenophobic issues manifest themselves. It's true that apartment complexes like the Lighthouse have been erected on the fringe of the community with no encouragement to integrate, and this may well be where the kneejerk reaction to outsiders comes from. I think the lack of amenities and social outlets around the area completely hampers any real integration, but then what sort of institution can be made that appeals to both 50-something East Wall locals and 20-something apartment-dwelling business professionals? It's a conundrum, but one I hope that can be solved soon. I still thank my lucky stars I never threw a bottle back or gave the 7-13 year olds lip back, or it might have been me on the cover of the Herald.

Having spent my two years living in East Wall so far being abused as a faggot, a queer and everything in between (apparently having neck-length hair and wearing skinny jeans makes you gay around Church Road), having fireworks lashed at me by passing kids, and one one occassion two glass bottles hurled at me as soon as I left my house I can honestly say I expected some improvement after the recent murder. Sure enough, the Centra is no longer a no-go area, and I haven't had any missile attacks from the child soldiers, but the verbal abuse still continues. I know it's an ingrained social problem, an intolerance to perceived outsiders, but having been raised in working class areas all my life, and having attended one of Dublin's roughest primary schools I have never once thought it was remotely acceptable to abuse, intimidate, or attack any individual on a street. Playing football in Ringsend flats as a kid it would never so much cross my mind as to want to abuse anybody for being a "faggot", for the straight up fear that the other person is three times my size and would clatter me across the head if nothing else. Where the kids around East Wall are learning that it's an acceptable pasttime from I don't know, but if it continues to go unaddressed this area is going to go from bad to worse.

I imagine it is, in fact, the strong sense of community that makes racist, homophobic, and xenophobic issues manifest themselves. It's true that apartment complexes like the Lighthouse have been erected on the fringe of the community with no encouragement to integrate, and this may well be where the kneejerk reaction to outsiders comes from. I think the lack of amenities and social outlets around the area completely hampers any real integration, but then what sort of institution can be made that appeals to both 50-something East Wall locals and 20-something apartment-dwelling business professionals? It's a conundrum, but one I hope that can be solved soon. I still thank my lucky stars I never threw a bottle back or gave the 7-13 year olds lip back, or it might have been me on the cover of the Herald.

I feel your pain.
    I used to be a punk rocker growing up in donaghmede.
    The only way to get the ****ers to leave you alone is to make and example of one of them.Trust me,if you kick the crap out of a couple of them they'll soon find somebody weaker to pick on.
    Violence is the only thing they understand unfortunatly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Jayzuz that's some post for a 3rd post Underground. Excellent reading and some brilliant points that have got me thinking on the matter differently.

They have just got themselves a fantastic looking community centre. Big block of cheese. Striking yet elegant.

A little update to the thread.

The chap 'Tony' discussed earlier, and who featured in a youtube clip being abused by the little **** in his garden on Church Road passed away last week.

R.I.P. Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Mairt wrote: »
    A little update to the thread.

The chap 'Tony' discussed earlier, and who featured in a youtube clip being abused by the little **** in his garden on Church Road passed away last week.

R.I.P. Tony.

Here Here...

His Dad is lost with out him, poor man spend his life looking out for Tony, he will be sadly missed..

R.I.P Tony ... Liverpool and Elvis just lost their Number One Fan...

Jerimiah wrote: »
    Here Here...

His Dad is lost with out him, poor man spend his life looking out for Tony, he will be sadly missed..

R.I.P Tony ... Liverpool and Elvis just lost their Number One Fan...

A nicer, softer and more decent lad you'll never meet again.

How anyone could be cruel to him was beyond me.

Eastwall is a poorer place without him IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Degsy wrote: »
    I feel your pain.
    I used to be a punk rocker growing up in donaghmede.
    The only way to get the ****ers to leave you alone is to make and example of one of them.Trust me,if you kick the crap out of a couple of them they'll soon find somebody weaker to pick on.
    Violence is the only thing they understand unfortunatly.

Im from donaghmede did you go the donahies by any chance ????

And wear one of those german coats ????

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Any residents of the Lighthouse complex received the yearly bill for management fees yet? Am wondering if it will be the same as last year and when exactly this is due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 yogi16

Been living in the lighthouse apts for 8 months now........moving out in one week. Sick of my car getting broken into, neighbours having their apt doors kicked in and houses robbed (mine hasnt been robbed yet but i'm sure its only a matter of time), scumbags everywhere you look. just not for me. Now this is my own personal experience and i'm sure its different for everyone.

just my 2 cents.

Advertisement