Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

blue_blue wrote: »
    I think it's 8h-22h everyday. They tried getting planning permission to open longer at weekends & bank holidays but it was refused.

394135.png

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The new McDonalds on East Wall Road is an eyesore, just horrible.

Totalling out of keeping with the character of adjoining houses.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The building it replaced was not in character with the adjoining houses; neither are any of the various commercial / retail / light industrial units around.

East Wall is going to be an area of mid-rise modern buildings with whatever old houses are left in the middle, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In fairness, East Wall road isn't much to look at in general.
    There's been plenty of demolition and new builds over the years... the old houses are only a tiny fraction of it, and aren't of much 'character'. There's often cars on cinder blocks outside some of them too.
    As said above, it's a mish-mash of all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Compared to the other horrible warehouses, 60s concrete, a scarcity of anything tree-like, footpaths used as car parks - the McDonalds looks excellent on East Wall Rd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,057 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's a boarded up derelict almost opposite the entrance to LIDL, on the corner with Seaview Avenue, looks like it has an interesting history... but think now it's beyond saving :(
    And maybe I've seen too many episodes of The Wire, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's entombed bodies in there... it looks that daunting. The cage is a nice touch... maybe that's where Hannibal Lecter finished up.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.356103,-6.233647,-65h,0p,0.67z

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The derelict Cahill Printers site was a real eyesore. The new builds now on that site definitely improve the the street scape not to mention adding new retail / leisure facilities to the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's a boarded up derelict almost opposite the entrance to LIDL, on the corner with Seaview Avenue, looks like it has an interesting history... but think now it's beyond saving :(

It's a fine building. Lots of space. I think it used to be a plumbing business. It looks well secured, so maybe it's not in bits inside?

spurious wrote: »
    It's a fine building. Lots of space. I think it used to be a plumbing business. It looks well secured, so maybe it's not in bits inside?

You could be right... but every mission sent to investigate fails to report back...
    It's strange that it's been derelict for so long? There doesn't seem to be any movement in terms of renovating it or selling it for redevelopment, even with the recent upsurge of activity in the area.

I noticed the window wrapping taken off the Starbucks this morning.
    Likely to be open later today or tomorrow I reckon??

Traffic has really been hit with that new junction and Lidl / McDs.
    It was backed up at the Port Tunnel junction yesterday around 6pm.
    It's only going to get worse once schools etc.... go back.

• Advertisement

Starbucks seemed to be open at lunchtime... tables outside had a few customers with starbucks coffee cups... very low key opening if it is properly open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

These sort of new traffic hotspots tend to sort themselves out. People make use of the various new businesses. People get stung in traffic over and over. People stop making use of the various new businesses sick of the traffic. Traffic calms.

dsmythy wrote: »
    These sort of new traffic hotspots tend to sort themselves out. People make use of the various new businesses. People get stung in traffic over and over. People stop making use of the various new businesses sick of the traffic. Traffic calms.

It's not clear if the traffic issues is caused by the various new businessess... or due to the new traffic light conditions provided for said businesses. This is one of the main routes to Dublin Port, and is beside East Point business park's 6000 commuters.

Traffic in/out of East Point has been getting worse all summer - there's close to no office vacancies and a lot of the firms in there now would be desk jammers. Could easily be over 6000 there now.

The main reason for the stop / start nature of traffic now on East Wall road is the new pedestrian road crossing lights at Aldi / Lidl.

This should have been anticipated by the DCC planners and insisted that an underground subway be a condition of the planning applications.

subpar wrote: »
    The main reason for the stop / start nature of traffic now on East Wall road is the new pedestrian road crossing lights at Aldi / Lidl.

This should have been anticipated by the DCC planners and insisted that an underground subway be a condition of the planning applications.

I don't think that would ever be considered!!

In fairness, the lights are also for the Lidl / McD junction itself, as well as a pedestrian crossing.
    Plenty more cars are turning in / out of Church Rd because of it, so the lights were probably a prerequisite of the PP for the site.

Even before that, the volume on the road / over the East link has been steadily increasing over the past year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've used that road a bit over the last 2 years. I don't remember those lights not being there, or that section not being a bottle neck in all that time. There were a few rat runs you could use to avoid that road, but they've all been blocked by no turning signs at peak. So that will add to the increasing traffic volumes.

Simple fact is, increased activity comes more traffic. It will never get better. I would guess the majority of traffic is only passing through, and as such its being funnelled down this route through lack of alternatives.

I think the timing on the lights could be easily improved... the filter light for traffic coming onto Church Road should be set to a lower priority. And I'm sure I've seen sequences of pedestrian lights - filter lights - pedestrian lights - main traffic.

Facebook moving into the Beckett Building on East Road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the timing on the lights could be easily improved... the filter light for traffic coming onto Church Road should be set to a lower priority. And I'm sure I've seen sequences of pedestrian lights - filter lights - pedestrian lights - main traffic.
    That's not the filter sequence in my experience having driven and walked around there. The general road access through there is overcongested and the way that two lanes of traffic appears when there's only one designated lane is making it a disaster for cycling, which makes it a disaster for pedestrians as there's so many bikes on the path at peak times.

• Advertisement

That's not the filter sequence in my experience having driven and walked around there. The general road access through there is overcongested and the way that two lanes of traffic appears when there's only one designated lane is making it a disaster for cycling, which makes it a disaster for pedestrians as there's so many bikes on the path at peak times.

Agreed about the lane disappearance.

But perhaps I wasn't clear about the sequencing, I mean the lights between LIDL and ALDI.
    0. Position zero... cars are travelling in both directions along East Wall Road.
    1. A right turn filter comes on for vehicles turning right off East Wall Road onto Church Road, pedestrian light is green for crossing between LIDL and ALDI.
    2. Next, cars coming from Church Road onto East Wall Road
    3. Next, I've seen the pedestrian lights come on between LIDL and ALDI again
    4. Finally, it's green again for cars travelling in both directions along East Wall Road.

I don't think steps 2 and 3 are happening in the same sequence, but are successive sequences.

subpar wrote: »
    Facebook moving into the Beckett Building on East Road

interesting, with Yahoo just around the corner.
    It's very bleak around that part at the moment though.
    Unless the Point Village starts to get more tenants?

And isn't there a huge office planned for just beside the 3 Arena?
    The Exo Building was granted permission last year:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/green-light-for-plan-to-build-dublin-s-tallest-office-block-1.2593827

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

Hi all - I am looking at buying in East wall and would welcome recent opinions on st marys road at the community centre end.

I understand it flooded in 2002 but there have been remedial works. Is it possible to check the extent of these with the council?

I would also appreciate views on any anti social behaviour issues. I am relocating from stoneybatter so am not concerned but just wanted to flag it first. Seems like an area on the up in general. Feel free to pm me if anyone would prefer. Thanks in advance, Bob.

Has D Cafe closed for its sale? Dropped by today at a time it'd always be open (8:25) and it was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

L1011 wrote: »
    Has D Cafe closed for its sale? Dropped by today at a time it'd always be open (8:25) and it was closed.

Wasn't open last Saturday anyway, could possibly be closed

Does the people parking here and walking into work grind the gears if anyone else living here? Especially on a day off you can't park outside your own house at all

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Does the people parking here and walking into work grind the gears if anyone else living here? Especially on a day off you can't park outside your own house at all

I always thought DCC should impose a 'SMART car' only policy for the area :)

You get the same thing in suburbia if you are anywhere remotely near a train or bus line.

beauf wrote: »
    You get the same thing in suburbia if you are anywhere remotely near a train or bus line.

I know the feeling having lived near coolmine railway for most of my life 😂😂

DCC need to do the residents only parking like the Luas line or at least charge these people for the pleasure, i know public thoroughfare and all that, but it's a bit miserly workers putting residents out like that. I have a little smile on my face when one of these people get towed or clamped

• Advertisement

I don't know where you mean in East Wall. They clamp people pretty quickly in my experience. The main issue with driving in the area is that is gridlocked a lot. Also with the one way system is can be very long winded to get around it. Especially theres traffic. Off peak though its ok. Unless theres a big event on in the 3arena. I have parking with work, but I rarely use it. Its far too much hassle, considering theres good rail links near by.

Advertisement