Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB IP not changing

• 26-11-2004 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

anyone notice their ip for iol bb hasn't changed for the last while?Mine hasn't changed since tues...hmmm...me wonders alound....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I haven't noticed.
    But the day you depend on it being the same will be the day it'll have changed.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

You might have been upgraded.
    Did you have the IOLBB+ option?
    If so thats probably it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

yeah well i just the orginal package which now gives me 16gigs ;) Why have they upgraded again in the rush not to get fined by comreg?

K!LL!@N wrote:
    I haven't noticed.
    But the day you depend on it being the same will be the day it'll have changed.

Killian

yes i agree with that statement in so many ways! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Diabolus wrote:
    You might have been upgraded.
    Did you have the IOLBB+ option?
    If so thats probably it.

I'm almost positive, that no home iolbb package + or no + has static ip.

If they do, IOL are really ****ing with me.

• Advertisement

TimTim wrote:
    I'm almost positive, that no home iolbb package + or no + has static ip.

If they do, IOL are really ****ing with me.

Yeah im pretty sure aswell in fact im quite sure but its just wired the way it hasn't changed since tues...Although it doesn't seem like anyone else has experienced the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

As long as i dont disconnect my ip stays the same on iol bb+. Had the same one for about a week now i think. Static ips arent a big deal anyway, just get an account at www.dyndns.org :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

padraigf wrote:
    As long as i dont disconnect my ip stays the same on iol bb+. Had the same one for about a week now i think. Static ips arent a big deal anyway, just get an account at www.dyndns.org :)

Hmm, it would seem I'm being screwed around with, I get disconnected every 24 hours for 30 sec or less and then my ip changes :(

And I do have an account with dyndns.org, its just my stuipid openbsd software I use for it never seems to update it automaticlly.

I have DynDNS updater and it seems to work fine. You got it set so that it knows that youre behind a router and it can find your external one ? My ip isnt exactly mission critical anyway. I only need it static for running a bittorrent tracker for sharing files with friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Why does IOLBB insist on changing IP so often. I'm on Eircom Broadband Home Plus and my IP almost never changes. It has changed twice in a year when Eircom had two planned 15 minute outages and that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Having spoken to a manager in IOL, I found out that every morning (or, most mornings) at 3.30am or thereabouts, all connections are cut off and the ips are "refreshed" ... note that this is still abiding by the contract, as your DSL connection to Esat is never cut off during this, only your net connection.
    basar*s :)

I've been having BUCKETS of trouble with seemingly random disconnections recently, where all incoming and outgoing connections are cut off for NO REASON - leaving me having to reconnect to each and every one of them manually. If it happens while playing a game, then it's tough t*tties on me. (<edit> but my DSL connection is still active...)

I just rang tech support and was told that all connections are severed every 4 hours on ALL IOL BROADBAND ACCOUNTS to prevent idle sessions from being left open. How considerate eh? F*ckers.
    Well the call's been put up to level 2 now, and I'll ring back on monday if I haven't heard anything from them.

I HATE the way Irish companies f*ck you over - so i'm prepared to piss off who I have to until I get the service that I pay for.

</rant>

And while I'm in a bad mood...

I did some research into my unexplainable packetloss to a games server on the iol network, and found this:
    Host Name                 IP Address      Ping Avg   % Loss    Ping best/worst
    * Unknown Host *          192.168.0.1     1ms  0ms        0%   0ms / 3ms
    bas503.cwt.esat.net       193.95.136.239  18ms 20ms       0%   16ms / 167ms
    vlan501.rt502.cwt.esat.net193.95.137.125  18ms 22ms       0%   16ms / 149ms
    vlan52.rt001.cwt.esat.net 193.95.130.145  24ms 26ms       15%  18ms / 157ms
    vlan57.rt508.cwt.esat.net 193.95.132.26   17ms 23ms       0%   17ms / 230ms
    games2.iol.ie             193.120.123.135 18ms 20ms       0%   17ms / 120ms

I did a similar one a while back, and only the 3rd/4th hop proved unreliable with the ping fluctuating wildly between 18ms and ~190ms. Now, every single hop is acting the prick.
    What the hell is going on in IOL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

zoro wrote:
    I've been having BUCKETS of trouble with seemingly random disconnections recently, where all incoming and outgoing connections are cut off for NO REASON - leaving me having to reconnect to each and every one of them manually. If it happens while playing a game, then it's tough t*tties on me. (<edit> but my DSL connection is still active...)
    I have also noticed this behavior and it's really begining to get on my balls! Browsing also seems to be affected sometimes I feel as if I'm browsing on a 56kb line it's that slow, and no there is nothing else on the net at the same time.
    zoro wrote:
    I just rang tech support and was told that all connections are severed every 4 hours on ALL IOL BROADBAND ACCOUNTS to prevent idle sessions from being left open. How considerate eh? F*ckers.
    I can't believe that! WTF!!!??? this is fuc*ing broadband you dipsh*ts IOL! I have a router on all the time why the fuc* are they kicking me off every four hours - god what bloody retards. The whole point of getting broadband is to have no worries of the lenght of time your are on the net, internet 24/7 now IOL are starting to act as if we are abusing the service by leaving it on for more then four miserable hours. No f*cking wonder my router has started locking up every couple of hours :mad:

What modem do you guys have ? Mines a zyxel prestige, the one that came what the package. I dunno bout the ip change at 3 am but I am sure that i often keep the same ip if my modem is connected a few days. Maybe i'm just lucky ? I definetly dont get the disconnect every four hourse though. I have the perhaps embarrassing evidence that I've played games online for well in excess of 4 hours at a time and had no trouble. Connecting used to be a bit dodgy back when i got it but I traced that back to a bittorrent client opening too many connections at a time and nuking the connection. What area are you guys in ? Im on the shankill exchange. Doubt theres too many other bb'ers round here so that could be it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I rarely have probs with IOLBB. I have it over a year now. It went slow this evening for 10 minutes between 5.10 and 5.20pm.

If you have trouble, try changing your filters, the ones IOL supply are crap. i.e. I used to dial in on the same line and got 19.2k on the IOL filter, I bought a trust filter and got 32.6k on that!

Wierd! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

When I was on IOL, I had the same IP until I shut down my PC and restarted the router. That wouldve been fine only for the fact that the modem was ****e and wouldnt load up websites after I had commenced using DC++ everyday :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I’m having problems on IOL BB with disconnects as well, only that sometimes its hours before I manage to reconnect. From experimenting with my password I can see that authentication seems to be happening OK as I get an ‘Auth. Failure’ when I use a wrong password but the modem stays stuck on ‘Connecting’ when I use the correct password. It’s as if the modem is just waiting to get an IP address even though the user ID and password have been accepted. Sometimes this problem last for just a couple of minutes, but has also lasted for up to 3 or 4 hours. I’m using a D-Link 300G+ modem. Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I have also noticed this behavior and it's really begining to get on my balls! Browsing also seems to be affected sometimes I feel as if I'm browsing on a 56kb line it's that slow, and no there is nothing else on the net at the same time.I can't believe that! WTF!!!??? this is fuc*ing broadband you dipsh*ts IOL! I have a router on all the time why the fuc* are they kicking me off every four hours - god what bloody retards. The whole point of getting broadband is to have no worries of the lenght of time your are on the net, internet 24/7 now IOL are starting to act as if we are abusing the service by leaving it on for more then four miserable hours. No f*cking wonder my router has started locking up every couple of hours :mad:
    I get that problem with the browser too ... and quite frequently. It's annoying as hell :mad:

As for the disconnection issues, I sometimes am left with the same IP for days on end too, but in general you'll be cut off at ~3.30am in order to "refresh" your connection. That's in quotes, as that's the exact wording of the manager that I spoke to.
    Ridiculous imo.

<edit> Well I've mailed support after talking to them on the phone, and I've attached the various traceroute info that I've accumulated from both myself and some friends (both here and in England)
    I've a suspicion that there's an internal network problem that they're ignoring, but hopefully I'll know more on Monday. Apologies to the thread starter for hijacking this thread :)

Daniel

Well, as I suspected, they ignored the ping data from the UK as it's nothing to do with their network. In my reply I pointed out that the ping statistics were perfect up until the traceroute met the IOL network ...
    as for the ping times on the screen shot you sent, a average to 20ms is extremely good on the Broadband network
    *sigh* I have no arguements with that, what my point was, was that a spike of 200-250ms is unacceptable. *grumble*

Nothing yet about the disconnection problems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

I posted a thread like this a while back. As people have pointed out they love their connections every so often. There can be many reasons for this, but I've sorted some things out.

1) Trillian (eg. MSN, ICQ, AIM etc). Having a conversation with my friend recently when I got EsatBT first I started getting agrevated by my connection dropping. I leave Trillian my IM client on all the time so I noticed that the times randomly dropped my connection. The reason seemed to be the router. With PING disabled from the WAN on the router by default this meant a number of applications and their server sides were unable to authenticate with me, therefore dropping the connection regularily (funnily, depending on the ping timeouts, each IM protocol differed, so it was usually ICQ and AIM which dropped). Note also you should open your prots for these applications as I experienced a problem where only certain people on MSN could send me an IM. No erros were given just the packets never raeched me.

2) Two splitters. If you plug a regular phone line splitter into the EsatBT provided ADSL/Phone splitter there will be problems. Whenever someone phones in/out your connection will be dropped. Im not actually certain of the reason behind this, but its most likely eircom's call waiting screwing up the signal causing your PC to hang.

Hopefully this will help some people. But, more still needs to be done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement