Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fifa World Player Of The Year ? The Final Decision

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

On a serious not, did Shels just let him go or was Sara unhappy? I assume it was the latter unless he really fecked himself up in Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He was just let go as he wasn't upto it afaik. There was no word of him being unhappy and when I saw him around Tolka Park, in the stands, he looked fine. I'm amazed at it really, he was second highest scorer in the SPL with a non old firm club one year and he's only, what, 26?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Willem D wrote:
    Very true man but Arsenal fans wouldn't say that nor would Andy Gray and Martin Tyler.

Naw I would agree he has not done the business for France, he has scored a few in Europe thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

About Sara.

With the arrival of Glen Crowe and Gary O'Neill to Tolka, and with Jayo Byrne and Glenn Fitpatrick already in the squad, it seems Pat Fenlon deemed him surplus to requirements.

He played a couple of times in the U21 / Reserves and scored one goal, maybe two. I didn't go to the games myself, but apparently he looked disinterested in the games, and didn't make a big effort. That is only hearsay though.

Also, he was carrying a bad elbow injury, perhaps that has something to do with it?

Who knows?

Well Saras career had been on a downward spiral anyway really. After his amazing season in Scotland, 17 goals and the second highest scorer and being tracked by both Old Firm clubs, he scored progressively less goals as he went on, he ended up out of the team at times and went on loan to Coventry for a while. Maybe he just lost his motivation and hunger or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    On a serious not, did Shels just let him go or was Sara unhappy? I assume it was the latter unless he really fecked himself up in Italy.

AFAIK he had some problems getting a work-permit. He was never even on the bench for the senior side, and I can't understand why Shels would have signed him if he was so obviously unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Willem D wrote:
    Very true man but Arsenal fans wouldn't say that nor would Andy Gray and Martin Tyler.

Its not only Gray and Tyler. Steve Bruce was on the sofa on skys Goals on Sunday show and he seemed to think Henry should win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Watched Barcelona last night and there will be no justice in footballing circles if Ronaldinho does not walk away with the title. He is the proverbial mile ahead of the chasing pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Muppet wrote:
    Its not only Gray and Tyler. Steve Bruce was on the sofa on skys Goals on Sunday show and he seemed to think Henry should win it.

Probably because he's the only Premiership player in the final three and they reckon it will reflect well on the Premiership if he wins it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

For the love of God, I am so confident Ronaldinho will win it. I have made 2*20 euro bets with 2 lads from college whom are both Arsenal fans and they think it is Henry who will win it.

I am sorry but Ronaldinho is the most amazing, complete footballer alive today. He is absolutely amazing. *gobsmacked thinking of him...*

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    AFAIK he had some problems getting a work-permit. He was never even on the bench for the senior side, and I can't understand why Shels would have signed him if he was so obviously unfit.

No, Fenlon cofirmed he could pick him he just didn't. He was signed too late for our European games but not our domestic ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Italians seem fairly confident of a Shevchenko win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Ronaldinho has won it now hasnt he!think i saw something on it on teletext!
    Anyways, he deserves it!Henry hasnt done enough this year to warrant it really and Ronaldinho is sheer class! :D

Trigger! wrote:
    Ronaldinho has won it now hasnt he!think i saw something on it on teletext!
    Anyways, he deserves it!Henry hasnt done enough this year to warrant it really and Ronaldinho is sheer class! :D
    Ronaldinho won some magazine award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

eirebhoy wrote:
    Ronaldinho won some magazine award.

Oh, ok! Just saw glanced at a heading in teletext saying he won something so i presumed he won that!
    Anyways, Ronaldinho to win in my opinion!Damn he didnt sign for United!

• Advertisement

Trigger! wrote:
    Damn he didnt sign for United!

Damn is right. He will do some damage if he plays them. And I support Utd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Ballon d'Or is the most respected award a footballer could win, it's by far the one they want to win most. The FIFA world player of the year award is usually just a popularity contest and not actually about ability after the final 3 are chosen.

Ah Seaneh? Ruling out Schevchenko already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

no, Just stating the truth.
    He probably will win, but the Ballon D'or is more important to a player.
    Was more imporant to Ronaldo, was more important to Zidane, was more important to Nedved and it's more important to Sheva, he's said so before.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote:
    no, Just stating the truth.
    He probably will win, but the Ballon D'or is more important to a player.
    Was more imporant to Ronaldo, was more important to Zidane, was more important to Nedved and it's more important to Sheva, he's said so before.
    Looks like he got his wish:
    AC Milan's Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko was named the 2004 European Footballer of the Year on Monday.

Andriy Shevchenko: Europe's best (TonyMarshall/Empics)
    France Football magazine's prestigious Ballon D'Or (Golden Ball) award, which is voted for by journalists from 52 European countries, saw Shevchenko top the list of Europe's top players with 175.2 points, well ahead of Barcelona duo Deco (139.3) and Ronaldinho (133.4), and Arsenal forward Thierry Henry (80.5).

The 28-year-old star fired home 24 goals in 32 games last season as Milan secured their first Serie A crown for five years, and a brace in the 6-0 win over Fiorentina on Sunday took his league tally for this campaign to 11 goals.

His double strike at the weekend also took him to 136 goals for the Rossoneri, elevating him to joint-fourth place with Aldo Boffi in the club's all-time goalscoring charts.

Earlier this season he bagged a hat-trick in a 3-0 win over Lazio to secure the Italian Super Cup for his team.

Shevchenko finished third in the poll for the Ballon D'Or in 1999 and 2000, and the Ukrainian admitted he is ecstatic to finally pick up the gong.

``It's a very special day for me,'' he said.

``The last two years have been fantastic for me, we have won so many trophies. I remember the night in Manchester (Champions League final), our success in the European Supercup and and last season's comeback to win the Scudetto.

``It has been an equally great time for me because I got married and this year I have become a father (to a son named Jordan). I cannot ask for anything more.

``I would like to thank all the people who helped me get it and to dedicate it to Ukraine and my people. I am a Ukrainian and I am always proud to be so.

``It's difficult for me to talk about the (political) situation there because I have been living in Italy for six years. But I truly believe that Ukraine deserve a democracy.

``I was brought up in Ukraine and I saw (Igor) Belanov and (Oleh) Blokin win the European Football Player of the Year award, they are symbols for me.

``Then I saw AC Milan, a great club, and my hero was (Marco) Van Basten.''

Although Shevchenko has never been able to steer his country to a place in the finals of the World Cup or the European Championships, he has made a massive impact since signing for the Italian giants from Dynamo Kiev for around £15million in the summer of 1999.

He has scored over 100 goals in the notoriously defence-minded Italian top flight, and was recently rewarded for his superb strike-rate by agreeing a new contract with Milan until 2009.

In May 2003 at Old Trafford, he scored the match-winning penalty in a shoot-out against Juventus to win the Champions League for Milan in arguably his finest moment as a player.

Shevchenko is the fourth Milan player to pick up the award after Ruud Gullit, George Weah and Marco van Basten, but is the first Ukrainian to scoop the accolade.

Milan skipper Paolo Maldini said: ``Andriy has been truly phenomenal and we are very happy for him.

``He deserves this recognition for what he has done not only in the Milan shirt but also for his national team.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

henry shud have got it last year i think, not zidane. henry has done well in all competitions at club level but for some reason he cant do it for france altho hes playd well wen saha is his partner instead of trezeguet who i tink is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

You know what I am just startin to worry that Henry may get it. I hope he flippin dosen't come on Ronaldinho.

jesus christ its all looking dodgy now...

Is it possible for Schev to win it again? That would make my bets void...if it is Henry i will be ****ed!

cheesedude wrote:
    jesus christ its all looking dodgy now...

Is it possible for Schev to win it again? That would make my bets void...if it is Henry i will be ****ed!
    The winner of the Ballon D'or rarely wins the Fifa award.

how come nobody was complaining this much when zidane won it? he was fairly average that year too.

Gangsta wrote:
    how come nobody was complaining this much when zidane won it? he was fairly average that year too.
    Who's complaining?

Edit: Zidane won it in '98 BTW. Actually, you could be talking about the World player of the year. If so, the winner hasn't been announced yet for people to complain.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Edit: Zidane won it in '98 BTW. .

and last year.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Actually, you could be talking about the World player of the year.

REALLY?! did u guess that looking at the thread title ;)
    eirebhoy wrote:
    If so, the winner hasn't been announced yet for people to complain

yes, but they're saying IF henry wins which is wat i woz talkin about.

Gangsta you're confusing me. There's 2 topics being talked about here, World Player of the Year and European player of the year (ie. Ballon D'or). Yesterday, Shevchenko won the European player Of the year. You then said:
    "how come nobody was complaining this much when zidane won it? he was fairly average that year too."

I thought you were talking about people complaining that Sheva won it as nobody had won the World player yet so how were people meant to complain about it? I know what you mean now but you could have explained a bit better.

Anyway, to answer your question. People want Ronnie to win it because they have bets on him or just think he deserves to win it. People felt Nedved deserved to win it last year.

BTW, Zidane won the Ballon D'or in 98, not FIFA. :)

Tonights the night and it looks like that french git will win it. Sepp Blatter has tipped him to flamin win it.

• Advertisement

Willem D wrote:
    Tonights the night and it looks like that french git will win it. Sepp Blatter has tipped him to flamin win it.
    All Blatter said was he thinks Henry has been the best player of 2004. Its hardly going to change the result. :)

I will be so gutted if he does win it, because any fan of football can see that Ronaldinho nearly single handledly saved Barca's season last season with a little help from davids. Ronaldinho's invention on the field is amazing, he is a complete wizard with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Willem D wrote:
    I will be so gutted if he does win it, because any fan of football can see that Ronaldinho nearly single handledly saved Barca's season last season with a little help from davids. Ronaldinho's invention on the field is amazing, he is a complete wizard with the ball.
    While that may be true, Barcelona hardly set the world alight. Im sure there is plenty of players that singled handedly, and even more so than Ronaldinho (as you said Davids was a crucial factor as well), saved their clubs seasons. Do they deserve to get it?

All the players on the shortlist have had magnificent year. And whoever wins will deserve it, and I dont think anyone could complain about the result. Even if, and god forbid, it is Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Well done to Ronnie he was the only man whom of which deserved the award, and its a pity shevchenko came third as he is a far better player all round than Henry. I am absolutey delighted Ronaldinho.

The right result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thought Henry deserved it more myself, but they were hardly going to give it to a Premiership player. At least it wasn't Shevchenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Willem D wrote:

Davids had a lot to do with it, not a little. His arrival allowed Xavi to move forward into a more attacking role, without having to worry as much about covering back. Xavi played and plays a huge role in Barcelona's midfield. All this worked in a way to get Ronaldinho the ball more and for him to work his magic. Ronaldinho did not turn around Barcelona's season by himself.

Anyway, congratulations to Ronaldinho. Very much deserved.

Thought Henry deserved it more myself, but they were hardly going to give it to a Premiership player. At least it wasn't Shevchenko.
    You do know its voted by all the international coaches (and captains now AFAIK) in the world?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    You do know its voted by all the international coaches (and captains now AFAIK) in the world?

You is right in regards to the coaches but I am a little unsure about the captains.

Willem D wrote:
    You is right in regards to the coaches but I am a little unsure about the captains.
    http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=39790&idSez=12

The Brazilian won the vote of coaches and captains from international sides with 620 points. e Henry polled 552 and Shevchenko accumulated 253.

Well deserved. Proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

By at least it wasn't Shevshenko you mean at least the player who had the second best year(behind Ronnie of course) didn't win it ? , because in my opinion Henry deserved third out of the lot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:

Do you have the list of who voted for who? I think it was you that had the list year year?

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Kerr voted but we got no Captains vote, strange considering WERE THE 12th BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD YIPPPEEEEEE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Correct result. Ronaldinho is pure class.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Do you have the list of who voted for who? I think it was you that had the list year year?
    http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/men_votes_per_association.pdf

Kerr voted:
    1st. Ronaldinho
    2nd. Henry
    3rd Deco

I didn't think captains would have been allowed vote for players at their club. Beckham voted for 2 Madrid players.

List of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers EB.

btw LOL at the new sig!! :D

Ronaldinho has been playing well for 9/10 mths. Henry has been playing well for the last two years. Henry deserved it, then maybe ronaldinho next year.

edit: i meant henry should have got it last year and ronaldinho the next year ie. this year.

Gangsta wrote:
    Ronaldinho has been playing well for 9/10 mths. Henry has been playing well for the last two years. Henry deserved it, then maybe ronaldinho next year.
    Well its only an award for 2004 so it wouldn't matter if he was playing well for 10 years. If Henry had've played well at Euro 2004 I've no doubt he would have got won it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement