Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It goes to show the benefits of Boards

• 26-11-2004 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Recently I believed that the premier league was the greatest in Europe, I of course would watch the occasional game of serie A and La liga but I have had my eyes opened by boards posters to the quality in football in Spain. For the past few weeks I have not missed one single La liga game and as a result I strongly believe having watched it avidly it is of better quality and Sky over hype the premier league to an extraordinary level. Imho Sky have a lot to answer for in regards to football, they may have revolutionised the game in regards to way its broadcast but they have had certain detramental effect also.
    If you watch skysports news its a complete joke they over hype and overanalyse everything to certain extent that are bringing the game into disrepute themselves.

Sky Sports ?? 13 votes

I love Sky Sports its the best especially Andy Gray
    0%
    I despise that lot they have robbed our country of our team
    100%
    astrofoolPHBGangstaGuy:Incognitoeirebhoyjesus_thats_greAngelofFiresmemonBig EarsPacificoKingp35KevIRLimpr0v 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Willem D wrote:
    Recently I believed that the premier league was the greatest in Europe, I of course would watch the occasional game of serie A and La liga but I have had my eyes opened by boards posters to the quality in football in Spain. For the past few weeks I have not missed one single La liga game and as a result I strongly believe having watched it avidly it is of better quality and Sky over hype the premier league to an extraordinary level. Imho Sky have a lot to answer for in regards to football, they may have revolutionised the game in regards to way its broadcast but they have had certain detramental effect also.
    If you watch skysports news its a complete joke they over hype and overanalyse everything to certain extent that are bringing the game into disrepute themselves.

They are a British station, what do you expect them to do, tell you it S**T,they are the ones getting you La Liga coverage also so I don't know what you are on about.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sky have invested a lot of money into the English league and they need some payback. This payback is in the form of a major overdrive to promote and over hype the English league. It is not as good as they make out and a lot of the games are average.

A lot of people fall for this hype and ludicrously proclaim that the English league is the best in the world. Shamefully, some of these proclaimations come from the Republic of Ireland where the English league seems to have a never-ending fatuation with some people.

I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription yesterday as I could only justify it on the basis of the CL coverage (which is now over for me). I would love to continue with watching the Spanish league and the odd English league game but the cost is very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I believe Martin Tyler & Andy Grey are the best live commentary partnership going at the moment, on any station.

"I despise that lot they have robbed our country of our team", what's that rash statement got to do with the La Liga > the EPL argument you seem to be making? And what station are you watching the Spanish games on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I dont see the problem people have with Sky. They offer an exceptional coverage of football for very reasonable prices.

Of course they are going to hype the PL, it is their national league afterall and the core content of their sports channels..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

La liga on Sky sat and sun nights 8.30pm onwards , highlights monday 6.30pm
    Serie A on live on eurosport with that lad whos great sat nights 7pm sun afternoons 2 pm and sun nights 8pm , highlights monday 10 pm.
    EPL on bloody everywhere.
    EL on when jade monkey is in 4th quadrant of moon.

What that has to do with original post i dunno , but willem d has a special way of posting :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A lot of people fall for this hype and ludicrously proclaim that the English league is the best in the world. Shamefully, some of these proclaimations come from the Republic of Ireland where the English league seems to have a never-ending fatuation with some people.
    QUOTE]

Ahem. What about the infatuation with the very very third rate SPL? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

KevIRL wrote:

LOL plyd....

kdjac

KevIRL wrote:

I have never claimed that the SPL is the best in the world or even a 'good' league. I go to the SPL matches because it is local to me and I love going to see live matches unlike all those EPL 'diehards' where the nearest they get to a football pitch is their TV. Hook line and sinker comes to mind. :D

For more explanations, see the thread about the Eircom league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I I go to the SPL matches because it is local to me and I love going to see live matches unlike all those EPL 'diehards' where the nearest they get to a football pitch is their TV. .

I agree totally, not a premiership fan myself. Waterford Utd are the only team for me. Couldnt give a toss about who wins the EPL.

I have never claimed that the SPL is the best in the world or even a 'good' league. I go to the SPL matches because it is local to me andI love going to see live matches unlike all those EPL 'diehards' where the nearest they get to a football pitch is their TV. Hook line and sinker comes to mind. :D

For more explanations, see the thread about the Eircom league.

All those EPL 'diehards' as yoou call them do not have the luxury of living in or near a city with an EPL team so you can't balme them if, as you say, 'the nearest they get to a football pitch is their TV.'

Why peopel do not support Eircom League teams near them is another story discussed on numerous other threads

And Dub if you never claimd the SPL was 'even a 'good' league' why did you even bother with that 'SPL 2004/05 Season' thread that no one other than yourself and eirebhoy replied to it and you have not since Celtic got their asses kicked by Rangers last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The hype in the english game is incredible. La Liga is the best league and the only thing the English league has going for it is the supporters. I cant stand Sky sports, obviously none of the presenters have the faintest notion about soccer.

I was watching sky sports news (Arsenal vs Spurs) and this fella came on and started to describe Defoe's goal. It was a great goal, but listening to him before I actually seen it for my own eyes, I thought he must have scored the goal of the century. There is no need for that kind of hype.

In short, English league + Sky sports = hype hype hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I cant stand Sky sports, obviously none of the presenters have the faintest notion about soccer.
    I'd certainly disagree with that. I think Sky Sports have the most knowledgeable presenters by far, particularly that fella on Gillette Soccer Saturday (the things he comes out with, "Forfar are now 4-1 up, thats there 5th consecutive win on the road and Jimmy has scored 43.5% of their goals").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think he is talking about RTE's Bill..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I cant stand Sky sports, obviously none of the presenters have the faintest notion about soccer.

Yes, that's why they get paid a fortune to talk about it and we get the benefit of your well-rounded knowledge for free.

no, im defintely talking about Sky sports.
    Sky Sports have the most knowledgeable presenters by far

Maybe you mean they have the most statistic in front of them.

por wrote:
    All those EPL 'diehards' as yoou call them do not have the luxury of living in or near a city with an EPL team so you can't balme them if, as you say, 'the nearest they get to a football pitch is their TV.'

Why peopel do not support Eircom League teams near them is another story discussed on numerous other threads

I was referring to their local team in the Eircom League.
    And Dub if you never claimd the SPL was 'even a 'good' league' why did you even bother with that 'SPL 2004/05 Season' thread that no one other than yourself and eirebhoy replied to it and you have not since Celtic got their asses kicked by Rangers last week

Starting a thread does not mean the subject matter is amazing. I was gauging how much interest is for other leagues in this football forum. As it turns out, there is very little interest in other leagues other than the EPL. Obviously the hype from Sky is very effective ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gillete soccer saturday is brilliant. the fellas on it are usually all very good.

beats ****n schmeihal on BBC1. MOTD has really turned to ****.

as for the premiership, bill is a complete tool who knows nothing about football, i often wonder has he ever watched a match before. He certainly doesnt watch the match he is presenting on anyway. And the commentators they get for the matches are horrible aswell.

gillete soccer saturday is brilliant. the fellas on it are usually all very good.

I must be watching a different sky sports

Agreed, schmicheal is a fool. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

sky is the best thing thats ever happened to english football imo. i can see how it could be interpreted as a big money business that robs customers but in all honesty, i'd be happy to pay big money for a quality, thorough football service rather than a shabby, cowboy production by rte which show the bare 90 mins, sometimes not even showing the kick off and joining about 10secs into the game or 2nd half.

sky interview everyone 1st, have all the latest news/transfers 1st, have highlights of EVERY premierleague game and have about 30 cameras around the ground, capturing every moment. plus, they plough millions into the league and hence keep the league one of the richest in the world which can only be good.

if your a REAL football fan, you'll have sky prem+ and all. without that, i simply dont know how anyone can keep an interest, watch matches every week. the matches sometimes dont live up to the hype but for instance, 2moro we'll see a big wenger - benetiz battle scene at the start with results from the past, played to dramatic music, its showbiz lads. all adds to the game and atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

For me, Sky are slowly killing English football this season. It's simpley overkill, matches on non stop. It's ruined the saturday at 3 culture where you'd goto a game, come home and watch all the games highlights on MOTD as now kick offs are all over the place. A quick look at the premiership would tell me, at a complete guess, that attendences are as low or lower than they've ever been. Now I've no facts to back that up so I could be wrong but that would be my observation. A live game used to be a special thing, now any old crap is getting put on live and I think I read their ratings at at their lowest since they started and that doesn't suprise me. There's too much EPL on the TV and it's overkill, over saturation.

Also the hype is amazing. I've never heard Andy Gray say a high profile player or team played bad ever. In fact I remember Gilberto missed an open goal and Andy Gray said "Cor, he's done everything right there!". Their weekly Beckham watch is very irritating, I'd like to see more than Real and hear more about some fella who can't even finish matches latley.

On the plus side for Sky, Soccer Saturday is one of the best footie programmes on TV and Stelling is the best presenter of a football programme I've ever seen. The panelists are normally either knowledgable or at least decent to listen to. Also their CL coverage is stunning, I love being able to watch matches like Milan V Barca instead of having to watch whatever British teams are on.

However, their commentators are head wrecking with the hype and that's getting painful to listen to. The money they've invested into the EPL has lead to a massive inbalance in the league, only 3 winners since they came onboard and one was a one off. Gone are the days of Ipswich winning the top division in their first season in it, but I suppose it's harsh to blame Sky entirely for the non competitive nature of the league but they've played their part. Overall, they have not been good for English football at all I'd say, bar the big clubs.

• Advertisement

as for the premiership, bill is a complete tool who knows nothing about football, i often wonder has he ever watched a match before. He certainly doesnt watch the match he is presenting on anyway. And the commentators they get for the matches are horrible aswell.

I agree, Gillette Soccer Saturday is a great show, ‘cos RTE and Setanta are usually showing one sided games (WBA v Man Ud, Chelsea v Blackburn etc) I always find myself watching it, Geoff Sterling is brilliant, even though he did say today QUOTE ' Brian Barry Murphy's father is the greatest Gaelic footballer of all time' :D

The majority of people in Ireland follow English soccer for a number of reasons mainly it's what they (and their fathers) grew up with (long before Sky ever existed) and secondly cos there are so many Irish playing in it that they want to see, the quality of the game visa v the other European leagues doesn’t matter a damn to most people.

As for Sky over hyping the EPL, they paid millions for the rights, they are a British company, what do you expect them to do.
    They show La Liga anyway and make a good job of that, which would you prefer Sky or Eurosport, give me Sky every day of the week.

smemon wrote:

if your a REAL football fan, you'll have sky prem+ and all. without that, i simply dont know how anyone can keep an interest, watch matches every week. the matches sometimes dont live up to the hype but for instance, 2moro we'll see a big wenger - benetiz battle scene at the start with results from the past, played to dramatic music, its showbiz lads. all adds to the game and atmosphere.

Don't you really mean a REAL English league fan? I would not waste anymore of my money to Sky and get Sky Prem Plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

por wrote:
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Don't you really mean a REAL English league fan? I would not waste anymore of my money to Sky and get Sky Prem Plus.

if youve no interest in the EPL then yes, why is there something wrong with being an english league fan?

No

You stated 'if your a REAL football fan, you'll have sky prem+ and all' I just pointed out that is not necessarily true

Advertisement