Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stereo?

Options
  • 26-11-2004 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry to invade, but just a quick question which needs answering.

I want to get a CD player for my car (citroen saxo). There is a GOODMANS in argos for €70. Is this a waste of money? Am I better off spending the extra €100 to get a JVC or something??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I got an mp3 cd player from Smiths software place off Parnell St., 99 bucks, very good, Its made by Shark, who I had never heard of but if you are looking for an mp3 cd player, you could do worse than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

There's a great Kenwood MP3/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/WMA player here

All in - including delivery to Ireland and VAT = £91.93 = roughly 130 of your hard earned Europeans. A little more than what you want to spend but personally, I'd save the extra few quid and get this little baby. A VERY good deal.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I used to have a Goodmans cd player a couple of years ago, was very happy with it, never skipped unless the disk was badly scratched or dirty.
    A word of warning though, I accidentally broke the removable face and was unable to get a replacement as Goodmans don't have an outlet in Ireland.

Consider getting an mp3 head unit, I can fit about 10 or 12 albums on one cd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Slightly shifting the thread temporarily but what would something like this cost to get installed? Mine is a 99 Corolla so I assume it has a non-proprietory connector

sceptre wrote:
    Slightly shifting the thread temporarily but what would something like this cost to get installed? Mine is a 99 Corolla so I assume it has a non-proprietory connector

I'm not sure about installation fees nowadays. The wiring adaptor (if necessary) can be bought
    here (they convert to a standard ISO connection which is what most aftermarket headunits use). Facia adaptors can be bought here if the existing headunit has a non-standard slot (i.e. not DIN) I don't think a facia adaptor is required for the Corolla though.

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

They are pretty easy to fix, shuldn't be a problem. You isually need a special tool to get out the original raido, but I've always used small screwdrivers. Actually, I use screwdrivers to pretty much fix any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hello Everyone,

First post so go easy on me. My g/f has a 96 Nissan March which is high specced (Air Con, Elec Windows etc ) for a 96. But alas - it only has a stereo cassette. I was thinking of getting her a cd player for it as part of her christmas pressie. If i do buy one similar to the one DCGT posted is it easy to install or would you need a garage to do it ???

Does the fact its a jap import with jap radio complicate things ???

Thanks in Advance.

RedorDead wrote:
    Hello Everyone,

First post so go easy on me. My g/f has a 96 Nissan March which is high specced (Air Con, Elec Windows etc ) for a 96. But alas - it only has a stereo cassette. I was thinking of getting her a cd player for it as part of her christmas pressie. If i do buy one similar to the one DCGT posted is it easy to install or would you need a garage to do it ???

Does the fact its a jap import with jap radio complicate things ???

Thanks in Advance.

Well you'll be taking out the old radio, so the only thing you may need is an ISO connector to convert the existing wiring system to the standard ISO. The existing aerial you have in the car should work fine also. Depending on the headunit you buy, you may need an aerial adaptor (they can be bought for a couple of Eurons in your local motor factors. If you want to DIY, one thing you will have to check is how easy the old headunit is to remove (e.g. does it require a DIN removal tool - 2 U shaped pieces of metal you stick into either side). Best thing to do first is to remove the headunit to check the existing wiring and see if you need an ISO connector.

Hope this helps,

DC.

DC.

Just in case people are interested, I was looking in Maplin's catalogue and they have a special on a car MP3 CD player headunit for €99. It looks ok, but it says in the spec that it's 4 X 25 W max. power, which works out at about 4 X 12.5W RMS. It's not the most powerful unit in the world, but if you just want to play MP3 CDs.....

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I got my stereo from www.incarexpress.co.uk - have some really good deals there. I saved over €100 on my stereo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement