Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIB Random Security Checks

• 26-11-2004 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I got a call from AIB this evening regarding my credit card. They wanted to make sure that a purchase I made today was actually made by me.
    Was told I was picked at random for the security check.

Has this happened anyone else before. First time I heard of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Rabies wrote:
    I got a call from AIB this evening regarding my credit card. They wanted to make sure that a purchase I made today was actually made by me.

I bet they were wondering if you really ordered all that pr0n..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sure it was AIB?

Did they ask you to confirm your number and expiry? If they did, I'd be a bit worried......

You could ring them and ask if they do security checks......

TmB wrote:
    Sure it was AIB?

Did they ask you to confirm your number and expiry? If they did, I'd be a bit worried......

That's a good point....there was a bit on the radio the other day about this sort of con. They can be very persuasive.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I didn't give out any details, wasn't asked. The girl on the phone knew my name, the store where I bought my stuff today and the cost of it.
    The bank has my mobile number. I gave it to them when I applied for a loan during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Credit card companies do this generally if the purchase has raised a flag for being bigger than normal transaction or whatever. It's quite common and nothing to be suspicious of even if the transaction you carried out wasn't particularly large.

Phew, thats good to hear. So what did she ask you? Just whether you made the purchase, or did she ask any personal stuff?

Rabies wrote:
    I didn't give out any details, wasn't asked. The girl on the phone knew my name, the store where I bought my stuff today and the cost of it.
    The bank has my mobile number. I gave it to them when I applied for a loan during the summer.

That's grand then. :) oh and to answer the original question....no...i've never had a call like that

alleepally wrote:
    Credit card companies do this generally if the purchase has raised a flag for being bigger than normal transaction or whatever. It's quite common and nothing to be suspicious of even if the transaction you carried out wasn't particularly large.
    I spent €345 today in one shop. Usually my card is used for purchases no more than about €150 unless I'm paying for flights and holiday bookings.
    They must have classed €345 as much larger than my usual transactions :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jon'o

Rabies wrote:

All credit card providers monitor purchases and highlight transactions which seem out of sorts with the customer's normal spending paterns, for large one off amounts or a transaction completed in another country.

Ive been rung by my bank before about my card, they soon left me alone when i reminded them that i worked for the company :D

• Advertisement

TmB wrote:
    Phew, thats good to hear. So what did she ask you? Just whether you made the purchase, or did she ask any personal stuff?
    Ya thats pretty much it.
    I asked there was there anything wrong with my card because they called me but she assured me it was fine.

RuggieBear wrote:
    I bet they were wondering if you really ordered all that pr0n..... :D
    Shhhhhh... you promised you wouldn't tell anyone. I'm keeping your half now
    :p

Rabies wrote:
    Shhhhhh... you promised you wouldn't tell anyone. I'm keeping your half now
    :p

D'Oh!!!! me and my big mouth..... :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've got a couple of calls from National Irish Bank when there's "unusual" transactions going over my credit card. I've just moved house and they couldn't contact me at the old number so they sent a letter asking me to contact them. All pretty standard stuff and it's good to see they're on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perfectly normal procedure..most, if not all, banks do it. Once they didn't ask for the details as naturally they all have the information there it all seems legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Now that you've made one bigger than normal purchase, you can expect a letter politely informing you that they have doubled your credit limit to facilitate your peace of mind, etc. In the small print it will say:

you can run, you can pay the whole lot off, but we will eventually ensnare you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I've had this a few times, and it drives me crazy. Basically, if you make a purchase that is unusual or different to your normal spending habits (ie, a large order or lots of orders in quick succession) then the computer triggers a stall on your credit card in case it has been stolen. I always go spending mad at this time, trying to get my Christmas shopping done, and my card always gets frozen (and no, credit is never a problem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They have a system that scans the purchases you have made based over time and type of purchase.

If your purchases suddenly deviates from that buying habit it flags the card. This can be something like a huge purchase for an item you have never bought before, or a small item on a card that normally has very large transactions.

As for the person contacting you on the phone. NEVER give your card details out, ESPECIALLY the number on the back of the card. The credit card company will already have that information and will never ask for it. If you want to be a dick to them, give them a false number. If they say "Thats correct" then you know they are full of crap and will probably get caught trying to use your card (Ring the CC company and tell them too).

If in doubt ask for thier name and number to ring back (make an excuse). Then ring the credit card company with the number on your card and tell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

My Bank in the UK has done it before, to ensure that I actually did make the purchase.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

This is standard practice with banks I understand although it's never happened to me. To be honest I think it's a good thing although it would be typical if your card WAS stolen and you never heard anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

I must have missed something.......How did these "scammers" know the credit card number and the persons address?

I know they asked for the 3 digit security code, but how did they get the other info before they called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

meepmeep wrote:
    I must have missed something.......How did these "scammers" know the credit card number and the persons address?

I know they asked for the 3 digit security code, but how did they get the other info before they called?

It would normally be phished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

merky wrote:
    Just recieved this and remembered this thread....

Actual mail is below..as was......

Mail received from the BANKOF IRELAND KILKENNY...

From http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax5.asp?HName=Visa+%26+MasterCard+Fraud+Hoax

Visa & MasterCard Fraud Hoax

Description

An email message warning of a modus operandi used by malicious individuals to acquire Visa and MasterCard numbers is spreading in the Internet.

It tells of how a swindler identifying himself as a credit card security officer phones target persons notifying them that their cards have been flagged due to unusual purchase patterns. The caller then elaborates on the situation and requests to get the three-digit PIN number of the card.

The message ends with a cautionary note informing recipients of this email chain letter how credit cards of owners who fell for this fraud were used for purchase by the phone caller. However, Visa and MasterCard have not verified these claims as true. Though there is a small likelihood that the event it discussed may happen for real, the very fact that it takes more than the last 3-digit PIN to decode a user's account disounts it as a hoax.

Trend Micro advises its customers to disregard, delete, and not pass this email message anymore because it is a hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

meepmeep wrote:

Sometimes full card number and expiry details are on your CC receipt and they can get these from your rubbish, sometimes someone in a shop\hotel copies them etc.

Advertisement